corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » crashed skyline

New Poll
  <<  1    2    3    4    5  >> Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author crashed skyline
AK

User status: Offline
4th Jan 05 at 13:42   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

markings indicate straight on for both lanes....

as well as left for left lane, and right for right lane....

He wasnt indicating, but WAS in the wrong lane whether he was indicating or not!

i will draw some diagrams
_Allan_

4th Jan 05 at 13:43   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

sorry I meant no markings, forgot the no.
Obviously if it's marked you can. Same with the 3 laned ones. Middle is often straight on.
Ian
Site Administrator

4th Jan 05 at 13:44   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by _Allan_
No you can't use the right lane for straight on regardless of markings.
You can, outside lane must not take the first exit but all others are OK. Highway code section 162 -

First exit approach in left hand lane
Intermediate exit (ie all except first and last) chose appropriate lane - ie. either
Last approach in right hand lane
Ian
Site Administrator

4th Jan 05 at 13:45   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

http://www.highwaycode.gov.uk/17.shtml#162
Ian
Site Administrator

4th Jan 05 at 13:46   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Also read 163

give plenty of room to traffic crossing in front of you on the roundabout, especially vehicles intending to leave by the next exit

ie. people who are on the inside lane but staying on.
AK

4th Jan 05 at 13:50   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

_Allan_

4th Jan 05 at 13:51   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Yeah yeah yeah section 162 but the key word is appropriate lane. Most instructors I have talked to have all said that they teach any exit past 12 ' oclock on approach is normaly taken in the right lane. Unless marked other wise. It does say you can go stright on when the left lane is blocked but that often does not happen due to the nature of a roundabout. I'll wait for the diagrams as there is hundreds of different layouts.
_Allan_

4th Jan 05 at 13:54   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Adam, He was in the wrong for starters in that lane. Was your lane marked straight on?, cos I'd have taken it in the left and maybe the situation wouldn't have arose because you would have been behind him

[Edited on 04-01-2005 by _Allan_]
Robbo

4th Jan 05 at 13:59   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

'Mr Law' was in the wrong lane as in this case at the least he should not have been in the outside lane if he was going back around again
Ian
Site Administrator

4th Jan 05 at 13:59   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Allan - they teach you this because its less dangerous, requires less of a skill in observation and you're less likely to crash. The law permits use of either lane where appropriate, and it is traffic law on which blame is based, not your driving instructor.

If it was Mr Laws intention to leave at the last exit or go full circle then he is in the wrong, failing that he is correctly positioned and Mr Kindness failed to note his presence when entering his path.

Adam - get that bloody admission of blame written down somewhere.

[Edited on 04-01-2005 by Ian]
Ian
Site Administrator

4th Jan 05 at 14:02   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Robbo
'Mr Law' was in the wrong lane as in this case at the least he should not have been in the outside lane if he was going back around again
On that diagram yes, he can only leave at the last exit because that is the only one which is on there, I've a feeling that there are more on the real road otherwise the roundabout is a bit pointless...
AK

4th Jan 05 at 14:03   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

layout and markings on road etc

Ian
Site Administrator

4th Jan 05 at 14:05   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

That makes things better as the exit after yours is the last one.

If there were two roads on the right hand side of that diagram then you'd be up for a dispute. According to that though he is has not obeyed 162.

Robbo

4th Jan 05 at 14:05   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

True, I was thinking the same actually... a similar thing nearly happened to me a while back at Green Road roundabout, Joff will know the one... I had to turn off early to avoid hitting some1 as I was using the inside of 3 lanes to go straight ahead (witney to cowley) (as the road markings used to indicate) despite the fact that it made little sense to use that lane and some1 was using the middle lane to take the 2nd of 5 exits...
_Allan_

4th Jan 05 at 14:07   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Fair enough Adam, but you still get the situation where people in the right hand lane go straight on as marked then cut across and exit in the first lane of the straight on, cutting up the person who approched in the left also going straight on. I fucking hate roundabouts, I think most people pass their test then decide any lane will do
Ian
Site Administrator

4th Jan 05 at 14:08   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Note also, that <^ arrow in the left-hand lane on entry to the roundabout is not 'left or straight on', its 'left or every exist which is not the last'.

In this case its the same thing but on more complicated roundabouts its worth knowing the difference!!

AK

4th Jan 05 at 14:09   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

all pics updated
3CorsaMeal

4th Jan 05 at 14:09   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

he is in the wrong still. not ak but the other bloke

personnally i always careful on roundabouts because i know people are muppets.

i would of been in left hand lane by the first exit.

at least its not in dispute and he has admitted it
Ian
Site Administrator

4th Jan 05 at 14:09   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by _Allan_
people in the right hand lane go straight on as marked then cut across and exit in the first lane of the straight on
Crash in to them, it'll be their fault.
Ian
Site Administrator

4th Jan 05 at 14:10   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by 3CorsaMeal
at least its not in dispute and he has admitted it
Yes.
AK

4th Jan 05 at 14:12   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

but i still have to spunk out 400 in excess to get repairs, for it to be disputed and given back to me at some point
Ian
Site Administrator

4th Jan 05 at 14:16   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Make sure he doesn't try and say it was like this:

I've seen that happen in the past. This would mean he is correctly positioned for staying on.
3CorsaMeal

4th Jan 05 at 14:17   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

but he should giveway to his right
3CorsaMeal

4th Jan 05 at 14:18   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Adam Kindness
but i still have to spunk out 400 in excess to get repairs, for it to be disputed and given back to me at some point

an arse

try to claim some sort of personnel injury/personnal loss.
Ian
Site Administrator

4th Jan 05 at 14:19   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Depends on speed of both vehicles.

<<  1    2    3    4    5  >>

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » crashed skyline 22 database queries in 0.2026861 seconds