corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » URGENT HELP.please...........BAck from garage............:(

New Poll
  <<  1    2    3  >> Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author URGENT HELP.please...........BAck from garage............:(
mav

User status: Offline
28th Dec 04 at 22:16   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

light there tried to make an appereance was the 'Anti theft alarm' system light..not the toad LED but the vaux alarm one

the one with the wee man running away from the sound waves...never noticed this b4....above the stereo....

came on when key turned then went off........????

[Edited on 28-12-2004 by mav]
mav

29th Dec 04 at 00:57   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

been on VVOC...know some of these guys know there stuff about the vecs..

not good news.

heres the last post...............if he's right ain't good...

but thanks to VVOC for helping too...

will updat tomorrow..

From VVOC............

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcintyre
Alternator's gone for sure. Same thing happened on my 1st vec and 2 mechanics and a reputable auto electrician couldn't find the fault, took it to my VX dealer and they found it within an hour. It was the alternator which had peaked, fried the battery and melted loads of wiring in the engine bay.

If you get it sorted asap it might not be too bad, but don't leave it as it gets worse with time.

I agree with Dan... Its spiked or surged becasue of a fault at more than likely fried the loom. You might be lucky with the front harness or the engine harness but its worth inspecting the condition of the wiring... this can also be caused by the main engine Earth Strap loosening up. If this happens and there is no solid contact with the engine/gearbox to earth the current goes to ground through the shortest/easiest possible route...And thats through all the small loom wiring and effectively melts it everytime..It literally takes 2 seconds of the starter turning over and it will already be smoking inside the wiring insulation due to the current being too high for the wiring to handle - Look at all the enclosed wiring loom and check the condition of the wiring bundles...Your know straightaway if its that.

check the main Earth harness strap: Its usually located on the top of the gearbox. Big thick black wire..its easily seen, with a crimped o-ring crimp on the end usually held on by a 13mm bolt into the gearbox shell.

You need to ensure the earth strap is secured correctly then inspect the wiring fully...Order a new alternator and battery, replace any faulty wiring and for gods sake dont try to start it anymore... If im right (and im very certain) then everytime your trying to start it your shorting your electrics and thus causing more damage...

Sorry, not what you want to hear but ive made this mistake in the past and it wasnt a pretty sight.

Icy

29th Dec 04 at 01:10   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Mistamist

29th Dec 04 at 01:10   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

very similar thing happened to my mates Mercedes e-class, he happened to be in the asda car park at the time parked next to the petrol station, fried the electrics, went to make a call, on the way back saw smoke coming from the drivers window, approached the car and the dash was on fire. best not to try to start it, in fact disconnect the battery for now.
mav

29th Dec 04 at 01:13   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Car is sitting in drive...won't try to start.......

Rad fan still going though if i re connect.?????

Don't know because there is nothing from ignition at all????? surely there would be a sound...spark..smoke...??????

will check tomorrow............have a good look at it in the daytime...

Adam-D

29th Dec 04 at 07:12   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

b-oll-oks

dont sound good specially if the fan is spinning all the time
StuartVRS

29th Dec 04 at 09:45   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

hm, you my have already got the answer but i had a similar thing with my A3, in fact the exact same thing.

Started her up drove to a shop about 30 miles away, good as gold no problems at all.comes out of the shop, clifford alarm wont disarm. Tried to put it into valet mode, nothing there. opened doors manually, audi alarm and clifford alarm started going mental. They eventually stopped so we tried starting the car, no lights, no radio nothing, not a bit. Suddenly when trying to start it, all the lights came back on, then straight off again followed by another ten minutes of alarms. AA came out, changed the battery and all was good again apart from the car wouldnt run properly. It had to relearn as it would sit at 400rpm then jump to 2000rpm, back to 400 rpm, then to 2000 rpm etc etc and kept doing this. After being towed home with key in ignition, tried it again and al has been perfect since.

Hope you get it sorted mate and that it doesnt turn out to be too bad.
mav

29th Dec 04 at 11:27   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Got car out of drive and got it jumped with leads..
fired up 1st time......

everything working...took it for a wee run and running good..????

going to go to garage to get batt checked and that.but cant see/hear any problems at all.........

thaks for the help guys
Joff

29th Dec 04 at 13:23   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

So what was it then?
vibrio
Banned

29th Dec 04 at 14:27   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

doggy wiring of alarm causing the eletrics to fry I think wither that or mav pissed into his engine bay last night while drunk
mav

29th Dec 04 at 16:00   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

@ Ross.........

Drove to garage...car running smooth and sweet....Felt good...........

Then at garage it died again...same thing.....Alrm chirping away to itself..Batt ok...slight drain but not that...Jumped with leads again and started 1st time..Brought it home and Auto electrician going to come out and have a look for me....

I personally think it's something to do with the Toad alarm..Will wait and see.............

No fried wires or anything like that...(ALARM NOT BEEN INSPECTED THOUGH)

tried it a few times since it's been sitting in driveway and starts 1st time?????

will wait and see what Electrics guy says.........

[Edited on 29-12-2004 by mav]
SwN

29th Dec 04 at 16:03   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Alternator maybe , not holding the charge? cause seems strange as u put the jump leads on it goes?

mav

29th Dec 04 at 16:06   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

maybe.........Garage gut didn't think so...............

Guy said that the slight drain on batt may be enough to flatten it over hrs and hrs But not 2 mins...

Stopped at garage and was fine...2 mins later went to restart and same fault..
it's a weird one....

Think if it was alternator there would be some life...Dim lights etc?????

When this happeens there is nothing at all....nothing works full stop.........
bradfincham

29th Dec 04 at 16:08   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Mav this exact happened to me last week!

The alternator was the cause!
Check your door solenoids and make sure that they are clean and wd40 the plug that gos into the door! As this will cause the alarm not to arm!

Mine bump started, and ran fine with jump leads!
Put a voltmeter across the battery terminals! i should be between 12-13v
then turn on the lights heaters full beam strereo and see how much the voltage drops, mine went down to 10v so knew it was that! check it and see!
mav

29th Dec 04 at 16:10   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Done that at garage and with lights etc all on there was a minimal drop in voltage.nothing to suggest there is anything with batt..............

will try the door solenoids etc..................

garage said no to alternator but i don't think they really checked it....

how do you check the Alternator is working correctly??? just by batt voltage

SwN

29th Dec 04 at 16:10   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Smae thing kinda happened to my corsa yesterday , pamela was out in it drive fine etc , parked up went in for some grub then , came out bleeped the toad off to gain entry then tried the key in the ignition and nuttin , no dash lights etc etc , turned out to be the battery terminal was loose.
mav

29th Dec 04 at 16:12   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Batt terminals all ok....
SwN

29th Dec 04 at 16:15   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

its deffo sounds strange that u need jump leads on then it starts. thats what make me think about alternator.
mav

29th Dec 04 at 16:16   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

if the alternator wasn't charging batt surely voltage across batt would be low????
SwN

29th Dec 04 at 16:20   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

True , fcuk its a strange 1!
mav

29th Dec 04 at 16:21   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

tell me about it....

was all happy this morning when i thought it was just batt..........And car was running sweet..........

bradfincham

29th Dec 04 at 16:23   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

mav doing that test turning the lights and all electrical items is for the alternator.
It shows how much voltage the battery looses, the alternaor should charge the battery and keep it round 12v
mav

29th Dec 04 at 16:27   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

cheers well thats ok then...........

just phoned VTECH who fitted alrm and he says it doesn't sound like alarm fault but he could rule alrm out if i took it to him....

But he is a bit away.....when auto guy comes tomorrow(hopefully) he said to get him to phone them and he'll talk to him to see if they can work it out.....

mav

30th Dec 04 at 17:22   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Had to jump with leads again this morning...
got a new battery fitted under warranty as old one was only 3-4 months old....

Been ok last few hrs...stop started a few time....

time will tell if batt has been a problem even though it was showing as good on meter....

Simon L

30th Dec 04 at 17:59   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Try using a different battery.

I had a similar problem with my Saxo.

<<  1    2    3  >>

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » URGENT HELP.please...........BAck from garage............:( 22 database queries in 0.0166018 seconds