corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » GPS Speed accuracy

New Poll
  <<  1    2  >> Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author GPS Speed accuracy
Steve
Premium Member

User status: Offline
17th Dec 04 at 10:10   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Got TomTom running in my car but the running speed it comes up with is about 5mph slower than my speedo, is GPS speed very accurate?
Ojc

17th Dec 04 at 10:49   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Yes.

Does'nt Datatron timing equipment use satalite technology?

I know that when at the CorsaVsSaxo day my speedo was reading 130mph yet I was doing 117mph
hazey-corsa

17th Dec 04 at 11:21   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Accurate lol thats a joke the GPS uses about 4/5 satalites and if i remember correctly they only can approximate your position to 4 square metres or so, so you spped will not be very accurate at all!
CRB 553

17th Dec 04 at 12:17   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

yes but point to point translational mapping is very accurate with modern GPS and hence more accurate than a GM speedo...
Siberia

17th Dec 04 at 12:19   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

were can ya get these gismos?
Ditch

17th Dec 04 at 12:20   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

1-2% out I thought?

Is pretty damn accurate if you ask me!
Lucky B

17th Dec 04 at 18:08   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Siberia
were can ya get these gismos?

PC world were advertising them in The Sun the other day.
Lucky B

17th Dec 04 at 18:23   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

http://www.pcworld.co.uk/martprd/store/pcw_page.jsp?BV_SessionID=@@@@1233386819.1103307702@@@@&BV_EngineID=ccdiadddgfmgkhjcflgceggdhhmdgmh.0&page=GenericEditorial&genericeditorial=gps
Ian
Site Administrator

17th Dec 04 at 18:34   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by hazey-corsa
Accurate lol thats a joke the GPS uses about 4/5 satalites and if i remember correctly they only can approximate your position to 4 square metres or so, so you spped will not be very accurate at all!
Yes, but there is the same margin of error for each reading and the timing is accurate to a few nanoseconds, so in answer to the question, very accurate.

I don't know what the margins are but I'd hazard a guess at some 100ths of a mph, very small percentage, certainly nothing worth worrying about. Compare that to a car speedo which are legally allowed to over-read by up to 10%.
Ian
Site Administrator

17th Dec 04 at 18:37   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

And re those listed at PC World - a laptop and this hardware and software is cheaper, if you already have the laptop

http://www.gpsw.co.uk/details/prod551.html
http://www.visualgps.net/VisualGPSXP/default.htm

[Edited on 17-12-2004 by Ian]
Mikorsa16v

17th Dec 04 at 19:16   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

well my corsa was a couple of mph out, but my 206 is around 6 mph out as it gets quicker using the same gps system
Andrew

17th Dec 04 at 20:09   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Think i'll invest in one of these laptop things
Steve
Premium Member

17th Dec 04 at 20:53   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Ian
quote:
Yes, but there is the same margin of error for each reading and the timing is accurate to a few nanoseconds, so in answer to the question, very accurate.

I don't know what the margins are but I'd hazard a guess at some 100ths of a mph, very small percentage, certainly nothing worth worrying about. Compare that to a car speedo which are legally allowed to over-read by up to 10%.

so basically if i was going passed a speed camera it would be safe to assume the gps reading is correct
Steve
Premium Member

18th Dec 04 at 10:08   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

ttt
Jodi_the_g

18th Dec 04 at 10:25   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Ian
quote:

That have to out by a certain distance, as the device could be used for a trigger device on a bomb
Ian
Site Administrator

18th Dec 04 at 13:53   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by GSiSteve
so basically if i was going passed a speed camera it would be safe to assume the gps reading is correct
Indeed.
SetH

18th Dec 04 at 14:01   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

the GPS reciever in my car uses 9 satellites not 4/5?

at 60mph on speedo, GPS shows 56. i reckon this is pretty much spot on.
Ian
Site Administrator

18th Dec 04 at 14:03   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

There are a maximum of 12 visible at any one time.
Steve
Premium Member

18th Dec 04 at 19:23   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

yes there are 12 satellelites it can recieve at a time, iv figured out it needs a mx of four to get a correct reading
Lucky B

18th Dec 04 at 19:55   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

http://www.visualgps.net/VisualGPSXP/default.htm looks ace but bugger taking a laptop with you wherever you go.
R Lee

19th Dec 04 at 00:13   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

road angel will be suitable than a laptop. a laptop can't detect flashy cameras thingy's (awaits to be told laptops can )
Ian
Site Administrator

19th Dec 04 at 00:41   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

You could load the Autoroute camera add-on pack thing which has the same information as other GPS based detectors.

They don't do radar detection without some hefty extra bits but anything GPS is only data.
ed

19th Dec 04 at 00:55   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

The radar detectors on Road Angles only go off when you get caught speeding though, a bit too late to do anything about it really This is what I have found out anyway, both my parents have them in thier cars... Very good for the fixed cameras andthe temporary ones at roadworks e.t.c...
R Lee

19th Dec 04 at 01:05   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

i always thought that road angels were quite reliable?
ed

19th Dec 04 at 01:08   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Oh hell yea, I just don't think the radar detection is up to much - there are a few places where the Police park up with thier hair dryers - but I haven't seen it bleep a warning when they are there. Thats my only complaint....

<<  1    2  >>

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » GPS Speed accuracy 22 database queries in 0.1003180 seconds