corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » Whats the craic with selling cars which are still on finance?

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Whats the craic with selling cars which are still on finance?
liamC

User status: Offline
7th Dec 04 at 17:07   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Does this mean I can only sell the car back to the place I got it from?

Or could I sell it on and then pay them the money which I owe from the sale of the car?
liamC

7th Dec 04 at 17:07   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Also, APR will go down if I paid the remaining money which I owed them straight off wouldnt it?
Ally

7th Dec 04 at 17:09   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

You sell the car, pay it off with money you get from selling the car then if theres any left to pay, you carry on with your monthly instalments obviously at a lower rate
Ian
Site Administrator

7th Dec 04 at 17:19   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Phone the finance company first, get a settlement, ask them if that figure includes discount for early settlement (ie. the portion of interest which you're not using because you're stopping the borrowing), then work out how much the car is worth and compare the two.

Legally you should settle the finance before selling it but most garages will do that for you before doing the actual change of ownership.
liamC

7th Dec 04 at 17:25   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Ian, what do you mean by a settlement? Like how much the APR will go down by if I pay all of the remaining off in one go?
Ally

7th Dec 04 at 17:40   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

How much it would cost to pay off whatevers outstanding for the car
Colin

7th Dec 04 at 17:44   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

As long as the new user knows theres finance outstanding which you intend to pay using cash from the sale there is nothing illegal about selling.

Settlement is paying the outstanding balance in 1 payment and will be less than continuing payment.
Ian
Site Administrator

8th Dec 04 at 18:17   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Yes, as above, settlement is the amount of money required to, well, settle!
ainsley_brader

8th Dec 04 at 20:11   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Strictly speaking the car isnt yours to sell but realistically so long as you pay the finance off its not a problem.

TBH If you told me your car was on finance but you were going to pay it off with the money i'd walk away. My corsa was on finance when i bought it, so I got a settlement figure and paid there finance off then gave her about £50 cash lol
Ian
Site Administrator

8th Dec 04 at 20:33   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

You can also walk away from finance if you've paid more than half. Depends how much deposit you put down etc. but sometimes the car is worth less than you owe and this clause is useful.
ainsley_brader

8th Dec 04 at 20:34   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Ian
You can also walk away from finance if you've paid more than half. Depends how much deposit you put down etc. but sometimes the car is worth less than you owe and this clause is useful.

You just give them the car back!
ed

8th Dec 04 at 20:35   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Yea, my old man decided that his old Audi was getting too expensive as he was paying more than it was worth, canceled the direct debit and some people came to pick it up a few weeks later... Was funny watching them - they were like the chuckle brothers
Ian
Site Administrator

8th Dec 04 at 20:38   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

If its repossessed you're still liable for the outstanding equity and you get a bad record. You must have paid more than half of what you borrowed.
Martin CUK

8th Dec 04 at 23:04   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

It's called 'Voluntary Termination', and comes under Sales of Goods Act.

If you've paid 50% or more of the value of the goods, then you can return the goods to the lender as long as you've taken 'reasonable care' of them. This usually means an independent inspection by the RAC etc.

I did it with my 106 GTi a couple of months back, inspection is nothing major, then they take your car away and auction it to claim back what they are owed.
Ian
Site Administrator

8th Dec 04 at 23:05   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I've done it and they didn't inspect.

Useful though. Damn Choices 123 crap
Ojc

9th Dec 04 at 09:34   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

How about getting a loan paying the finance off then selling the car?

Loans are cheaper than car finance.
BigSte

9th Dec 04 at 09:39   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I doubt anybody will buy a car which still has finance outstanding on it.

When I went to view mine the guy owed about 2500 still on finance, I told him I wanted it and will come and collect next week, on the understanding that he paid off the finance.
When I got there to collect it he had paid off the finance and got a faxed confirmation that there was no outstanding finance on it, so I bought it

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » Whats the craic with selling cars which are still on finance? 22 database queries in 0.0130630 seconds