corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » THE LAW ON UNDERCAR NEONS ???

New Poll
  <<  1    2  >> Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author THE LAW ON UNDERCAR NEONS ???
RCoughtrie

User status: Offline
   26th Nov 04 at 17:45   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Okay heres the story, went up to my local take away from from dinner pull in and park turn off the car and put the undercar neons on, w8 10 mins and go back out jump into my car sit the dinner on the passanger seat turn round and two coppers in thier motor pure ball eyeing me and tell me to put the window down, he then tells me my neons are illegal, thinking to myself the cops should know the law or am i wrong that they aint ilegal if the car isnt in motion, so i speek my mind and tell them that its not ilegal when i aint in motion, the coppers look puzzled and say "Aye... just checking to make sure u know" and drive off.
So was i right or did they not know the law on undercar lighting?
Baz-Zico

26th Nov 04 at 17:47   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

ur correct that theyre not illegal when the car is still, but theres no written law on drivin with them on, the cops are just bastards and dont like it
City

26th Nov 04 at 17:48   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

there ghey
ultra_corsa

26th Nov 04 at 17:49   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

fcukin wankers, they never do anythin useful just wait around gettin money off motorists for pathetic stuff
Fear

many different things knocking around about neons!

A mates been told that they are legal aslong as the tube/light source isnt visable then they are legal well all BUT blue which are strictly only for emergency vehicle, lights not neons that is!
RCoughtrie

so if theres no law on it what do they do you for when they pull u over ?
James_DT

26th Nov 04 at 18:12   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Any light that can be seen on the front of the vehicle has to be white, with the exception of indicators and some fog lights. Any light on the side must be orange, and any light at the back must be red bar reverse light and indicator. The neons don't ahere to this, thus are illegal.

EDITED - Thanks Richie.

[Edited on 26-11-2004 by James_DT]
Richie

26th Nov 04 at 18:15   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

dont u mean white on the front...
James_DT

26th Nov 04 at 18:17   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Yes. I did.
RCoughtrie

26th Nov 04 at 19:25   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by James_DT
Any light that can be seen on the front of the vehicle has to be white, with the exception of indicators and some fog lights. Any light on the side must be orange, and any light at the back must be red bar reverse light and indicator. The neons don't ahere to this, thus are illegal.

EDITED - Thanks Richie.

[Edited on 26-11-2004 by James_DT]

where did u find this info m8 ? not that i dont trust ya its just so many rumours flying about on the laws,
Baz-Zico

26th Nov 04 at 19:29   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

i was told that by a cop when a got pulled for mines, in the end they just cause trouble for urself cos ur gonna get caught at some point
the_legend_of_yrag

26th Nov 04 at 19:31   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

i second what James_DT said
RCoughtrie

26th Nov 04 at 19:35   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by TheScotsman
i was told that by a cop when a got pulled for mines, in the end they just cause trouble for urself cos ur gonna get caught at some point

see i get u there, cos why would both them agree when i said, fair enough the young cop looked puzzled but the older one kinda nodded, but it makes me think was i a lucky escape due to their lack of understanding ?
Baz-Zico

26th Nov 04 at 19:38   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

most cops allow em if ur not movin, but in some cases u get the pricks in a bad mood n just do it for badness cos they have a badge
RCoughtrie

26th Nov 04 at 19:49   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

so when it comes down to it, its 50/50 depends on ur luck they r both legal and illegal on road, ah well pish but thats the way it goes.
Baz-Zico

26th Nov 04 at 19:51   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

yup, they say they distract other drivers but surely so does a fancy car all done up etc, its the same thing what next make bodykits illegal? lol
N90ATH

26th Nov 04 at 19:53   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

lol i've never once been stopped for having under car neons, they've been on scince aug
myaztecorsa

26th Nov 04 at 19:59   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Right then, here is a question for ya - if orange lights are allowed at the front side and rear does that mean that orange neons are legal.

I know that your indicators are only on while you are actually indicating but all the limo's have them permanently on. They just flash when you are turning.

Could you wire your neons to your indicators and then try and pass them off as such
RCoughtrie

26th Nov 04 at 20:01   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
yup, they say they distract other drivers but surely so does a fancy car all done up etc, its the same thing what next make bodykits illegal? lol

Its fecked up to be honest, i cant find a solid answer to justifiy it,
stuartmitchell

26th Nov 04 at 21:45   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Under the Road Vehicle lighting regs 1989 the following applies;

It is an offence to show a Red light light to the front and anything other than a red light to the rear. The common exceptions being reg plate lights, reversing lights and interior lights.
This includes reflectors ie white to the front and red to the rear.
The regs also stipulate the position, type, wattage etc to be fitted.
Also any optional lamps fitted must comply with the regs.
Headlamps and front position lamps must be white or in certain excepted cases amber.
The lighting regs are vast and cover all aspects of vehicle illumination.
Interpretation may differ but the basics are if the neons are red then they must not whether directly or by reflection be seen to the front, and if white they must not be seen to the rear. As stated the optional lamps must also comply with the regs again some differing interpretations may be found re what exactly an optional lamp is.
I am aware that the under body lights also are visible to the side and technically only amber is to be visible.ie side repeaters and outline markers.
I cannot make an official statement on this but provided the colouring requirements are adheared to then there should be very little problem as long as there is no undue dazzle or discomfort to other road users and the lights do not flash in any way.
I hope this clarifys the situation bearing in mind the vastness of the subject and the differing interpretations of individual officers/PFs.
There maybe cases where only a court could decide, that would be extreme and hopefully avoidable.
Obviously there is no problem if the vehicle is being used off a public road.

James_DT

26th Nov 04 at 21:47   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by CoughtrieCorsa
quote:

Its fecked up to be honest, i cant find a solid answer to justifiy it,

No, a brightly coloured light is much more distracting than a kit on a car.
RCoughtrie

26th Nov 04 at 23:27   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by stuartmitchell
Under the Road Vehicle lighting regs 1989 the following applies;

It is an offence to show a Red light light to the front and anything other than a red light to the rear. The common exceptions being reg plate lights, reversing lights and interior lights.
This includes reflectors ie white to the front and red to the rear.
The regs also stipulate the position, type, wattage etc to be fitted.
Also any optional lamps fitted must comply with the regs.
Headlamps and front position lamps must be white or in certain excepted cases amber.
The lighting regs are vast and cover all aspects of vehicle illumination.
Interpretation may differ but the basics are if the neons are red then they must not whether directly or by reflection be seen to the front, and if white they must not be seen to the rear. As stated the optional lamps must also comply with the regs again some differing interpretations may be found re what exactly an optional lamp is.
I am aware that the under body lights also are visible to the side and technically only amber is to be visible.ie side repeaters and outline markers.
I cannot make an official statement on this but provided the colouring requirements are adheared to then there should be very little problem as long as there is no undue dazzle or discomfort to other road users and the lights do not flash in any way.
I hope this clarifys the situation bearing in mind the vastness of the subject and the differing interpretations of individual officers/PFs.
There maybe cases where only a court could decide, that would be extreme and hopefully avoidable.
Obviously there is no problem if the vehicle is being used off a public road.

so in conclusion correct me if i got lost its the colour is where the problems are ?

Red / White neons are gonna give u the most greif due to the colour code of the car ie, red for brake, amber for inde and white for reverce . which is understandable. Was thinking blue for police but i dunno if it doesnt matter due to it not "flashing", green (the ones i have) doctor but still not flashing ?

so in order not to interfear with the cars colour codes green neons are the less hassle due to them not being amber, white or red thus meaning the green doesnt interfear ?

Greg_M

27th Nov 04 at 07:34   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

i 'was told' that under car neons class as a glow, and you dont have to worry about the colour if the strips arnt showing. i know neo quip have been in contact with the DOT about this
Adam-D

27th Nov 04 at 07:49   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

my side lights are green and so what happens then?

no mention of green ?
Joff

27th Nov 04 at 10:19   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

The majority of under car neons are fitted so badly all you can see is the strip itself.

The rest are just gay.

Ever thought the law might be trying to stop you making a fool of yourselves? Why park up outside a takeaway and the first thing you do it put your neons on??

FFS what a loser!

<<  1    2  >>

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » THE LAW ON UNDERCAR NEONS ??? 22 database queries in 0.0148220 seconds