corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Help Zone, Modification and ICE Advice » Gear Box problems

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Gear Box problems
Doug

User status: Offline
   14th Nov 04 at 22:12   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Hi,

I am having problems with my gearbox.
To start with i was having problems getting into first and second. But now i am also having problems getting into reverse!
When i say problems i mean you really need to force it in most of the time, Even though sometimes it isnt a problem.
And the problem with reverse is that you lift the collor up and push over to the left and try to put it into reverse but it juse dosnt want to go or it now seems to go further over to the left than before and wont go up or down!

Car details:
Corsa C 1 litre '52 plate done 40k miles
Does have 17's on it but problem was there since before they went on and has been getting worse

Anyone got any ideas? It is still under warrenty at vauxhall (3 years and i have reported it already) so i will get them to look at it for me or is it something i can do easily and cheaply?
sim0ng

14th Nov 04 at 22:40   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Your doing the worst thing ever forcing it in mate! take ya foot of the clutch, put it back down again as firm as poss and it should go in, i sometimes have similar probs with 1st and reverse, not second though.
Doug

14th Nov 04 at 22:57   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Yeah i know i am but i get annoyed with it and just try to ram it in lol.
Do you know what the problem is?
Adam_B

14th Nov 04 at 23:01   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

if its under warrentey vaux wont charge you to fix it. just take any mods off you can and take it back, they will probably void the warrenty
sim0ng

14th Nov 04 at 23:06   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

well a bad prob with the Corsa B was that the clutch cabel sometimes streches, with that heppening even though you've got your foot flat on the clutch it aint actiually down all the way so when your changing gear it won't go in because the clutch aint alla way down. Tis my theory newaze, prolly a completely diff reason.
Doug

14th Nov 04 at 23:06   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

They will probably void it after the work has been done or before it has been done?
Doug

14th Nov 04 at 23:07   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Nah not the clutch beacuse it dosnt need to be anywhere near the floor to bite/engage
corsaben

15th Nov 04 at 08:33   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Corsa_Man
Hi,

I am having problems with my gearbox.
To start with i was having problems getting into first and second. But now i am also having problems getting into reverse!
When i say problems i mean you really need to force it in most of the time, Even though sometimes it isnt a problem.
And the problem with reverse is that you lift the collor up and push over to the left and try to put it into reverse but it juse dosnt want to go or it now seems to go further over to the left than before and wont go up or down!

Car details:
Corsa C 1 litre '52 plate done 40k miles
Does have 17's on it but problem was there since before they went on and has been getting worse

Anyone got any ideas? It is still under warrenty at vauxhall (3 years and i have reported it already) so i will get them to look at it for me or is it something i can do easily and cheaply?

I have got the same problem with my 2001 corsa, I have to lift the stick to go into 1st and 2nd as if I was putting it in reverse, and reverse is a bit awkward coz I have to lift the stick push it all the way to the left, up a bit then left a bit more and its done, lol.
when you find out what the problem is let us know please.
vesko_m

15th Nov 04 at 10:43   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I've got Corsa B, and similar problems like yours. It's been written very few about the gearbox oil here, but it turned out that it was the problem with mine. I changed the gearbox oil and in the next 100 km the gears were getting better and better.
I think you should change this oil every 100 000 km - i know that your car is not that old, but i recommend you to go to a garage to check the gearbox oil and change it (it ain't that expensive).

other thing that might be the problem is alignment of the gear stick and the gearbox rod - recommend done in garage either, cos here is a tutorial for doing this for the corsa b.

cheers, good luck
James R

15th Nov 04 at 11:17   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Sounds like the linkage has worn slightly and needs adjusting. get yea spanners out.
Doug

16th Nov 04 at 16:24   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Any advice on how to adjust the linkage?!

What tools do i need? and is it easy to do?

New Poll