corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » !PC HELP! So SLOW! SD-RAM?

New Poll
  <<  1    2  >> Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author !PC HELP! So SLOW! SD-RAM?
MoNkEy MaGiC

User status: Offline
   2nd Nov 04 at 21:41   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Had windows ME...it crashed badly so i formated HDD and tried reinstalling it...it wudnt! so i tried installing xp...it wudnt! so i upgraded my BIOS and it would then fail the memory test in boot up of my 2 x 133mhz 256MB SD RAM! i tried them one at a time and it only accepted one of them and only 128MB of it! then xp installed sucessfully!

do you think my RAM has become damaged?.... which caused ME to crash in first place and wudnt reinstall it and XP??

What settings in BIOS menu can i change/alter to let it accept my RAM?

[Edited on 04-11-2004 by MoNkEy MaGiC]
Siberia

2nd Nov 04 at 21:45   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

what proccesser are u running with?
MoNkEy MaGiC

3rd Nov 04 at 00:32   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

its a pentium3, 700Mhz?
Andrew

3rd Nov 04 at 00:46   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Buy a new PC

I had 3 128MB PC-133 chips in my old PC (spare PC as i can't even give it away ) but Win XP kept crashing so i took one out as it was bought after the other 2 and a diff make and now works fine
MoNkEy MaGiC

3rd Nov 04 at 01:21   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

i got two 256mb ram which are different brands also from each other??
i tried them one at a time... one of them it counts the full 256mb but says memory test failure! the second it counts it only upto 128mb even though its a 256mb stick, but does not say memory test failure!

is their any settings i can change in bios to help solve this??
Cybermonkey

3rd Nov 04 at 05:22   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

chances are this is motherbaord problem rather than memory if so many sticks are goig hoo haa. Since you were probably running a FAT system on ME, there may be some problems/conflicts between the northbridge and CPU/HDD.
mjw_2k2

3rd Nov 04 at 07:41   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

try resetting your motherboard to defaults, or even clearing cmos, pop the mem in and see if its any better!
_Allan_

3rd Nov 04 at 08:24   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I reckon XP would cripple your machine anyway. Get a new PC.
Andrew

3rd Nov 04 at 08:36   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Sounds like your new BIOS may be corrupted. Try downloading it again and installing it or if you backed up your previous version roll back to that.

XP will run fine on your system for documents, internet etc, it does on my old one.
leeshez

3rd Nov 04 at 11:07   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

My pc is 700mhz and it is so dam slow but my laptop is so much faster
MoNkEy MaGiC

3rd Nov 04 at 14:41   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

i re-installed the BIOS, its ok, xp is installed ok and overall computer is ok, BUT i think my RAM is fooked! hence the crashing of win-ME and wudnt let me install it again and xp, the new BIOS is better so all i think it did was detect that somthing is wrong with the memory which is wat caused win ME to crash and not let me reinstall?? wat u think??

TTT
Richie

3rd Nov 04 at 14:43   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

dont think the P3 supports 133mhz ram, or maybe your mobo dont support it. Not all ram modules are backwards compatable. Also make sure error checking is disabled in the bios as that makes some ram go tits up
MoNkEy MaGiC

3rd Nov 04 at 18:06   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

after the memory test in boot up, it says "suggested DRAM clock is 133" what does this mean????

it might only be properly compatable with 100mhz ram sticks but... my windows ME ran ok for 2 years with the two 133mhz 256 sd ram!!! although it didnt seem that fast really compared to my old single 128mb sd ram!!

maybe all this time it wasnt really properly compatable? and has now gone pop???
AdiSRI

3rd Nov 04 at 18:34   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

yopu could get a much better new pc for £300 - £400 just keep ya mouse etc....

Better than mucking about spending money trying to fix something that will still be craop once its fixed...
Cybermonkey

4th Nov 04 at 11:44   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by _Allan_

On my old machine, a 400mhz celeron, XP runs just dandy
James_DT

4th Nov 04 at 12:06   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

And on my ex's 333mhz P2. Perfectly fine.
Also, the P3 does support 133mhz FSB and RAM.
_Allan_

4th Nov 04 at 12:26   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Cybermonkey24
quote:

That's not my point. XP is very memory intensive and takes up more HD space than previous OS. I don't see the point of putting it on an old machine. It would make more sense to use 95 or 98.

[Edited on 04-11-2004 by _Allan_]
MoNkEy MaGiC

4th Nov 04 at 12:42   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

95 and 98 are shite compared to XP!
i would rather sacrifice some speed and have xp!
i had 98se for 2 weeks!!! its so BASIC compared to xp!

xp is one of the most stable operating systems thats why it takes more HD space and cpu power to run!

i reckon it would run ok on my P3 700mhz with 512MB ram, maybe not as fast as 95 or 98 but wont be too far of
but to have it on a 400mhz or 333mhz machine is pushing it! but it depends what you use it for really
PaulW

4th Nov 04 at 12:52   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I used to run XP Pro on a Mobile P3-650 with 256Mb RAM fairly well! was a good day-to-day system!

but just because XP sooo massivly big on the install, doesnt mean its better. DOS took up the best part of around 350K and was rock-solid... its mainly down to how fooked the install is & also how much crap has been loaded into & unloaded, etc...

Win 98 can be just as stable, if not more so than XP, if its set up & used properly.
Cybermonkey

4th Nov 04 at 13:00   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Cybermonkey24
quote:

That's not my point. XP is very memory intensive and takes up more HD space than previous OS. I don't see the point of putting it on an old machine. It would make more sense to use 95 or 98.

[Edited on 04-11-2004 by _Allan_]

So what it takes up more HD space?? HDD's are dirt cheap these days. Space is no longer a problem. XP runs quicker than 98se ever did, it is better written and much more stable. Please reply only if you know what you are talking about.
Makarus

4th Nov 04 at 13:18   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

XP doesn't run quicker than 98 ever did, the basic system requirements for XP are higher than 98, its more graphically intensive, more memory intensive, requires large swap files etc. Just because of the fact that he latest computer equipment is powerful enough to run XP smoothly doesn't mean that its quicker. Windows 98 ran on lowly PC's well, try running XP on a lowly machine and you wont get anywhere fast.

98 was extremely stable, XP still doesn't compare in stability to 98. There were sooooo many bugs in XP when it was first introduced, and there still is SP2 has come along and with that so many more updates too, XP will never be complete, there is always an exploit or a issue regarding security and stability.

Also XP isn't better written than 98. XP poached half of NT kernel and then patched some more general microsoft shite into it to make it become an OS in its own right. 98 was almost as good as the 9x series could have got, then they went and fucked it up with ME.
_Allan_

4th Nov 04 at 16:53   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Thank you Markus. Cybermonkey don't try and say I don't know what I'm talking about simply because you don't agree. Putting XP on an older, low spec machine is not the way to go. It wasn't designed with them in mind, it wasn't sold with them in mind. End of story and older OS like 95 or 98 or even 2000 will run far smoother on an older machine end of story.
MoNkEy MaGiC

4th Nov 04 at 22:45   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

any other ideas? besides getting new RAM or new PC

TTT
Ian
Site Administrator

4th Nov 04 at 23:11   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

If you definately want XP then yeah, new machine.
Cybermonkey

5th Nov 04 at 05:24   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Thank you Markus. Cybermonkey don't try and say I don't know what I'm talking about simply because you don't agree. Putting XP on an older, low spec machine is not the way to go. It wasn't designed with them in mind, it wasn't sold with them in mind. End of story and older OS like 95 or 98 or even 2000 will run far smoother on an older machine end of story.

NO PGTF win 98 was abysmal compared to XP, frequent BSOD, unexplained compatability issues that were never dealt with, massive reg corruption problems, and dont get me started on ME. XP was designed to benefit both older and newer machines, along with faster file access (mainly down to NTFS conversion from FAT32) meant that any half decent computer could run it easily. 95/98 runs slower on my old machine that XP. You have given no solid proof as to why XP should run slower.

Makarus, "try running XP on a lowly machine and you wont get anywhere fast. ", i run XP on a lowly machine much more succesfully than win 95/98se/ME. You are right about XP using much of the basics and foundations of NT platforms, but all they did was stick an GUI to it, lo and behold, you have XP. Both a functional, reliable OS, which WILL run happily on a low spec machine.

<<  1    2  >>

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » !PC HELP! So SLOW! SD-RAM? 22 database queries in 0.1057210 seconds