corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Help Zone, Modification and ICE Advice » power gains of having head skimmed and ported??

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author power gains of having head skimmed and ported??
messham11

User status: Offline
21st Oct 04 at 09:32   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Just wondering what power gais im lookin at on my 1.4 16v if i have the head skimmed and ported??
Cheers
JJ

21st Oct 04 at 09:35   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Not much to be honest... get an inlet manifold to go with it and match the ports up... also... a unichip would further improve things as well as an exhaust manifold should be lookin 20bhp+
James R

21st Oct 04 at 11:39   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Courtney quotre 15% gains from there flowed head. But more realistic is roughly 10% power gain, the mathcing of inlet to head isn't what gives the gains it's the reprofiling of the ports shape around the valve throat and exhaust radius. If your thinking of not doing anythign else it's not really worth the £300-400 it will cost, but if you inted to tune things futher then it's a good base to go from, other wise a tubular manifold would improve things much more for you.
ed

21st Oct 04 at 17:36   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

It doesn't really increase power. It makes the engine rev freely, with less restriction, so will make any other mods you have done on the engine work to a higher standard.

A head skim doesn't increase power, it makes the head fit the block correctly if it has warped.
miles

21st Oct 04 at 20:58   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Skim will increase power as it raises the compression. How much power would obviously depend on how much is skimmed.

We're not talking much but its extra power all the while.
James R

22nd Oct 04 at 08:41   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by 1800ed
It doesn't really increase power. It makes the engine rev freely, with less restriction, so will make any other mods you have done on the engine work to a higher standard.

A head skim doesn't increase power, it makes the head fit the block correctly if it has warped.

Porting will increase the VE of the engine, so will make it more power as more air can be sucked in and pushed out.
Stu_22

22nd Oct 04 at 08:49   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

VE-??
luca2020

22nd Oct 04 at 09:03   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

yer as miles said you can skim the head, this raises the compression ratio so will give a small gain

but if you get the head skimmed dont skim it too much, i think i had my nova skimmed about 3/4 thou (n/1000th of an inch)
miles

22nd Oct 04 at 10:42   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

My head was skimmed 25 thou.

VE = Volumetric efficiency.

New Poll