corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Help Zone, Modification and ICE Advice » how to tell if shocks r fcked?

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author how to tell if shocks r fcked?
Icy

User status: Offline
28th Sep 04 at 16:05   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

last time they were leaky but this time they aint but got feelin they r coz my arches rub now on bumps
didnt used to rub when i was 50mm front 40mm rear, am 40mm all round now
had fk shocks for past yr
steveo.p

28th Sep 04 at 16:12   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I aint got a clue mate but i was just thinkin it may be because you have changed the angle that the car sits at by droppin the front down.
TOMAS

28th Sep 04 at 16:20   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Does the car still 'feel' the same? Are the bumpstops still OK? A dampers performnace doesnt really relate to where it bottoms out as that is physically fixed to the design? Unless its bouncy bouncy then i'd look at your bumpstops as these do 'limit' the suspension travel. Is it front or rear BTW that your getting scrub?
Icy

28th Sep 04 at 16:31   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

not sure like
cars been at 40mm all round on the fk shocks for a yr so havent changed the hiehgt in a while unless i jack the car up.

bro says if u jack the car up n the wheel stil stays on the floor, shocks r fcked coz wheel is meant to go up when car goes up too
TOMAS

28th Sep 04 at 16:50   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Sorry dude ya Bro is talking poo - FACT.

Ive got £700's worth of front coilover on mine and they are gas pressured so hard you cant even compress the dampers by hand...

Every single damper ive ever found should leave the wheel on the floor, otherwise what on earth are your shocks doing?

[Edited on 28-09-2004 by TOMAS]
AdiSRI

28th Sep 04 at 17:12   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quite true, but it does change with kits, the wheels drop a LOT less when raised on the FK Coilovers than they did on my old apex kit
TOMAS

28th Sep 04 at 17:17   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Yeah as Adi says the wheels should drop to the point where the damper is at full extension. My Grp A rally coilovers upfront dop waaay waaay low as they can be used on gravel/forest events where you raise the acr higher than standard.
Mattb

28th Sep 04 at 17:22   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

push the car down on each corner, if it bounces more that 1 and 1/2 times the shocker is beggered
AdiSRI

28th Sep 04 at 17:28   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

can barely move the front corners on mine!
Skinner

28th Sep 04 at 18:43   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Mattb
push the car down on each corner, if it bounces more that 1 and 1/2 times the shocker is beggered

i would say about 3-4 bounces and the car should of setteld any more and the shocks are fucked
Ian
Site Administrator

28th Sep 04 at 19:00   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Mattb
That test is hard to do on stiffer suspension.

How many miles have they done?
big eck

28th Sep 04 at 19:04   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Knowing Icy Ian hes done shit loads of miles on the suspension he got on, he was at the national meet, and has been countless times down south at most of the shows

New Poll