corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Help Zone, Modification and ICE Advice » Engine probs (mech-minded people only)

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Engine probs (mech-minded people only)
Patrick

User status: Offline
   7th Sep 04 at 10:39   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Hi all,

I'm a bit worried about a problem I seem to have with my coupe turbo.

It is losing oil somehow but doesn't appear to be burning. There is no leaks (well no oily patches on the floor). At the weekend, I took of some pipes, the boost pipe and the black pipe from the turbo to the inlet manifold and there was oil dripping from the inside of them. Correct me if I'm wrong but I was aware that the only things that should be going through these pipes was air. I can't understand where the oil has come from but am a little worried that my turbo or intercooler may be getting clogged up with oil.

Anyone know what may be causing this, or any other ideas?

I know some smart alec will say go to a garage, but just wanted to see if anyone had a rough idea what this could be first.

Thanks.
AK

7th Sep 04 at 10:48   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

pat, it is normal for oil to be inside the pipe work...... a small film of oil but not dripping

The only way excess oil would be getting there would be from seals.....

If it is dripping as you say though... i thought you would be able so see/smell the oil burning from the exhaust!?!?!?!

On the 3 turbo cars i've had i have noticed oil being blown out the DV and a smearing of oil in all the post Turbo, Pre TB pipes
Greasemonkey

7th Sep 04 at 11:33   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

its not anything to do with oil surge, like ya get on the C20XE C20LET lumps, oil gets into ya breathers, and maybe into the vacum system, happens when ya tank it round a bend and the oil sloshes about
AK

7th Sep 04 at 11:37   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

the breather goes into the tb (normally) not before the TB and after a turbo
Greasemonkey

7th Sep 04 at 11:41   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

fair play, you obviously know much more than i do about turbos, lol,
AK

7th Sep 04 at 11:48   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Greasemuunnkey - It is poss though..... But i hope patrick would have noticed the resulting smoke screen out the back if this had happened
Ditch

7th Sep 04 at 11:57   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

was gonna say he should be noticing alot of angry choking drivers behind him if this was happening!
Patrick

7th Sep 04 at 12:09   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

The reason I was saying the oil wasn't burning is that the gasses coming out of the exhaust seem usual. Nice and clear. Not dark and smelly!

When I took the pipes off there was oil around the inlet manifold and around the entrance to the intercooler. When I removed the boost pipe and lifted it up vertically there was some oil dripping out.

I'm confident the oil isn't burning and there doesn't appear to be a leak as there are no patches on the ground. But the car was serviced 3 weeks ago and had a full oil change. Since then I've had 2 'check oil level' warning messages and have put in two lots or 1.5l oil. Message came up again yesterday.

The oil must be going somewhere and if it isn't leaking or burning it must be somewhere it shouldn't be, i.e. inside the intercooler or turbo maybe?

Sounds like it could be a seal, I'll do a bit more investigating.
AK

7th Sep 04 at 12:58   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

what oil was put in? Was it very thin?

3l of oil in 3weeks is very wrong

How easy is it to take the IC off, and all the boost pipes.... give them a clean etc, then re-fit.... take for a drive to get the car up to operating temps etc.... then re examine...

If there was excess oil in the boost pipes it would be getting burnt.....

Do you still have the CAT in?
Patrick

7th Sep 04 at 14:19   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

CAT is still in place. The oil put in was fully synthetic 5w 40.

Dunno if it's connected but there's been excessive noise coming from the turbo for just over a month. Hard to explain but it's like a whirring noise that happens in time with the movement of the pedal, if you go on-off, on-off, on-off on the accelerator pedal it sounds like a siren.
Patrick

7th Sep 04 at 14:21   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Oh, and intercooler will be a bit of a bastard to take off so may just get under the car to see if I can undo one of the bottom hoses to see if any oil leaks out from the bottom of the intercooler.
AK

7th Sep 04 at 15:08   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

turbo..... doesnt sound good Is the 'whine' constant or progressevly worses with pressure and rpm?

cat - the cat may be hiding some of the fumes is a small amount of oil is being burnt

Oil - 5w 50 is quite thin...
ed

7th Sep 04 at 19:52   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

If there is a different noise coming from the turbo, get it looked at - the turbo has an oil circulation system in it to lube it all - if that isn't working correctly it may be that oil is leaking into the pipework from there - that means that you oil culd be accumulating in the intercooler, but not 3l worth, i'm sure you'd notice that...
ainsley_brader

7th Sep 04 at 21:34   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

seals in the turbo have probably gone hence all the oil in the pipes!
And it is burning oil

If it wasnt using this much oil before it was changed i would suggest using a thicker oil.

Whats recommended dounbt its a 5w40 more like a 10w40
miles

8th Sep 04 at 08:31   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Does it ever smoke on idle?

If the turbo is making noises to go with this then there is a good posibility it is shagged. Might be worth getting off to be checked.

As said, your not going to hide 3litres of oil anywhere, if its going into the intake pipework then its going to get burnt, but obviously some will stick to what it can.

Or stick a thread on mig to see if you can find anyone else with a Z20 to get advice from.
Patrick

8th Sep 04 at 08:36   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Put this thread up on the hope it was something quite common and simple. Haven't got shed loads of money to spend out on repairs at the mo!

Looks like I'm just gonna have to swallow hard and take the car into Vauxhall.
AK

8th Sep 04 at 08:56   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

take it in past a garage..... not just vaux

New Poll