corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » conversion update

New Poll
  <<  1    2  >> Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author conversion update
myke

User status: Offline
1st Sep 04 at 21:16   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

doesn't seem like much has been done over the last couple of days, but we've been running around all over the place trying to get bits.
Have had a mate down for the last couple of days to lend a hand and do a bit of taxiing.

Wednesday:
took hub carriers down to mate at a garage to have the hubs knocked out. no probs.
headed to local industrial estate type area to find some where to turn the calibra hubs down to the corsa hub dimensions.
found some indian chappy at a precision turning shop who'd do it for £30. all good.

went to vauxhall to order new track rod end ball joints as i had to cut one of them off to remove the hub carrier. out of stock, be in next day. tried to price up a calipe bracket as one of the threads had sheared in the ATE's. only sold as whole set with calipers, so left that.

headed back home to see how much we could get done on the car.
connected the clutch cable, accel cable, speedo cable; got the loom in through the bulkhead to the footwell and routed it around the engine.
connected up everything that was obvious.

loom through bulkhead:

had a fiddle about with the gearlinkage trying to see how good we could get it without extending anything and with the rear mount spacers in place.
was a bit of a bitch and could onlyt really get reverse first and third.

were left over with a few connections. most worrying was one labelled (under coil). forgot the corsa was DIS pack with no cylindrical coil or distributer, and hadn't removed the coil from the cally before it was collected. shit.

tried to connect the fuel hoses to the rail on the XE. n/s one wasn't a problem, but o/s wouldn't go without seriously kinking the hard pipe as the C16 had both connections at the n/s and it was doubling back on itself.

decided to head out to get a new hose made up and visit the scrap yard.
great place near me called spectrum hoses who made up a nice new pipe for me.

old hose cut short:

shows old one on left cut off short, and the new one. he asked if i wanted a 90degree bend as shown which i went for, but in hindsight, would have been better without. just a compression fitting on the end to fit the old pipe into.

off to scrappy. find an 8v cav sri which we nab the coil and a caliper carrier from.
get back to the corsa and the 8v coil has a 2pin connecter, when we have a 4pin connector in the loom. shit. find out from mig that the 8v and 16v coils are different.

pick up the freshly machined hubs from matey at the turning place, and head back down to the mechanic friend with the hubs, carriers and new bearings to be pressed back together.

get back home and mince some more playing with the linkage and scratching heads about the wiring.

try to get the powercap in, and realise how much the bulkhead needs butcheration to get the thing in.
so we get busy with the grinder and hammer, and finally get it in. blow me is it tight there. the thing is touching the hard brake pipes from the master cylinder, but i'll come back to that later.

had to cut the no.2 scuttle mount bracket out and bash it around quite a bit.
hopefully will tidy this up later

would have been much easier while the bay was empty if i'd have known where to cut.

Fad

1st Sep 04 at 21:22   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

looking liek your making good progress home it all done for trax?
jr

1st Sep 04 at 21:30   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

out of instead why didnt you but a v-tunnign plate instead of cutting the fuck outta your bulkhead

very god pics/info btw
Fad

1st Sep 04 at 21:31   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by jr
out of instead why didnt you but a v-tunnign plate instead of cutting the fuck outta your bulkhead

very god pics/info btw

well i am asumming he had the powercap before he started the conversion and to get ti to fit you got to cut away the bulkhead slightly

better torque from a power cap than an ecotech pipe too as its got a larger chamber
jr

1st Sep 04 at 21:33   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

yes but regardless if i had it before i would have spent the £70 to stop me having to cut the bulkhead

maybe its the way i personally would have done it
jr

1st Sep 04 at 21:34   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

or as myke looks capible he could have plastic welded a sfi box
Fad

1st Sep 04 at 21:36   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by jr
or as myke looks capible he could have plastic welded a sfi box

yes to a paint tray
jr

1st Sep 04 at 21:38   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

indeed slinkboy stylee, was very imprseive he managed to do that
myke

1st Sep 04 at 21:41   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Today:

get woken by a call from mechanic friend saying he's done one of the hubs, but there's a problem.
go down there to have a looksee, and he's reckoning the hubs are too short on the part that comes through the bearing and that the hub end should be flush to the bearing face.

can see here that the hub sits slightly lower than the bearing

here's one of the machined hubs

he also said that the brand spanking bearing would probably get fucked if he tried to drive it back out, and the now thinner hub may also get damaged .

chap at the machine shop had said to take them back to him if there were any problems, but also that he wasn't going to be there today.
travelled couple of towns away to see my helpers dad at an engineering plant who couldn't think of anything simple to do unless we wanted brand new ones machined from blanks and the splines cut in at another place in Watford. if we were going to all that trouble, then i may as well have bought the motorsport hubs and shafts from cossvaux in the first place.

go back to vauxhall anyway to collect my balljoints and to price up a 16v coil.
ball joints were like £26 a side , and the coil was freakin £77 . for something which i stupidly forgot to remove from my own car before it was scrapped.
trot off to cafco and allparts in the hope of getting a cheaper one out of one of there catalogues.
both places had a look. and fair play toi this guy from allparts, tried 3 different parts books, and brought 3different boxes out to see if they were the same as any other they listed, but none were right and they didn't cover the cally16.

trek to another couple of scrappies to hunt a c20xe cally/cav/astra, but no luck. the place that collected my cally even said that was cubed up and sent away long time ago.

back to vauxhall to bite the bullet and bend over a barrel for a new one.

back to spectrum hoses again to get a coupling for the vaccum pipes, as the corsa servo one wont reach the inlet, and the 20XE inlet one wont reach the brake servo. just ended up with a 12mm compression coupling and connected the pipes to the side of the powercap.

home again and panicking a bit about the remaining wiring and what to do about the hub problem.
try cossvaux see if they can supply just hubs to fit this setup, but can't get through.
rung Lee Mitchell, who was a great help and re-assured me that the hubs weren't too short and the cv end castle nut wont crush the bearing which is what the mechanic seemed to think was the case.
Lee mentioned a washer that mtech or cossvaux supply with their kits to go between the hub and the cv, so i'll maybe look into that further. as it stands though i'm continuing with what i have.

Lee was also mightily helpfull in explaining what i was doing with the wiring. hadn't twigged about mating the engine loom to the corsa body loom in the footwell, and they are all colour matched, like for like

also a couple of spare wires on the ngine were part of the starter motor/alternator loom which i needed to swap over to use the corsa strter/alt loom on the c20.

round multi plug from the incorrect calibra loom

correct corsa loom from the c16 in the garage.

set about swapping them over, which was a right cunt of a job as it's all under the inlet manifold and i wasn't about to take that off again.
working under the car reaching up to the alternator and starter to switch the 2looms. got it all done apart from really small wires, one on alt, one on starter, which i couldn't do and cut to be spliced together tomorrow.

came to the decision that i'd take the rear mount spacers out, and grind the bracket flat so it can sit against the gearbox, and then probably take it to Lee to have the spacers put back in and the linkage sorted to get all gears again.

ground mount with the offcut to show what came off.

reset the linkage like this and now can get reverse, first, third, and fifth. the linkage fouls the steering rack i think preventing second and fourth, but i can live without them at the time being.

thats about where i am at the moment, but hopefully will make better progress rtomorrow and maybe even be able to do a test start if i sort the collant hoses and radiator back in.

pain in the ass this is.

[Edited on 01-09-2004 by myke]
myke

1st Sep 04 at 21:45   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

had the powercap on the cally beforehand, so didn't really want to fork out again for the elbow and plate.

and the sfi boxes just look pants IMO.

may have been worth looking ointo doing that to keep the torque from the box, and the bulkeah looks shit now, but hopefully it can be tidied up a bit.

too late now anyway.

Fad

1st Sep 04 at 21:49   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by myke
had the powercap on the cally beforehand, so didn't really want to fork out again for the elbow and plate.

and the sfi boxes just look pants IMO.

may have been worth looking ointo doing that to keep the torque from the box, and the bulkeah looks shit now, but hopefully it can be tidied up a bit.

too late now anyway.

SFI box look cool IMO and it serves a very good purpose as a torque chamber

sinkboy was getting dead 15's in his on 17's and got down to a 14.7 with the SFi box on his i really want one on mine
myke

1st Sep 04 at 21:53   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

fair play.
i know they're designed like that for a reason.

i'm hoping to be all finished for trax, and i'll probably cry if i can't make it.

will have to be at the next rwyb pod day if not to see how i do. will be interested to see if the headwork has had much effect.

will be running 195/45 15's. should be low 15s's fairly easy.
ed

1st Sep 04 at 22:28   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Good work Myke! Must be a little bit annoying having all those little problems, but I guess every has the same Did you go to the scrappy in booker - I need a new crankshaft sensor, gonna see if the 8v one is the same, might be?

I want to use an SFi box on my conversion, as well as an airbox, i'm trying to get a factory installed look to it - for now at least... I understand that you have to plastic weld an angle to the back of the box - the best way to do that is using a paint tray BUT do you then need to modify the bulk head? I really don't want to do that see... Anyone know the answer?
myke

1st Sep 04 at 22:33   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

yeah went to high heavens at booker.

there's an 8v sri cav, and plenty of 1.8 cavs in there.
dunno if cranksensors are the same.

imagine they would be on the sri; same block and that.

see here how close the throttle body itself is to the ulkhead.

would need to make the sfi angled from right where it meets the TB up to just behind the rear bolts.
paint tray or a bit of perspex would do the trick i reckon.
could probably even get away with siliconing it on if you get the box flat enough.
ed

1st Sep 04 at 22:37   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Heard a few people say that they fibreglass it. Fibreglass don't stick to plastic too well, I don't think that the engine would like random deboris going down it... I'll try giving it a bit of a paint tray and see how it goes, itherwise I'll machine up a plate to get an Ecotec pipe to fit...

Was machining the hubs quite complicated? I was gonna do it myself, but if theres somone doing it for cheap then I'll get him to do it... Was he in Cressex?
myke

1st Sep 04 at 22:42   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

yeah, just told him to match the dimensions from the corsa ones.

was gona have a bash myself at work, but i'm not there this week, and it's a shitty old imperial lathe anyway, so i don't think i would have been able to get it precise enough.

i'm not sure if a little metal needed to come off further down so that the hub would sit further through the bearing?
will have to see how it turns out when i get it back together.

yeah was on cressex park. near JH end.
guy gave me a business card actually:
J.Reehal
place was called Reid and Seymour Limited
ed

1st Sep 04 at 22:44   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Ah right, thanks for your help again buddy
myke

1st Sep 04 at 22:51   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

no problem.

feel free to ask if you want any more info on what i've done.

can't gaurantee that i've been doing everything right, but hey.
Greasemonkey

1st Sep 04 at 22:53   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

THis is a wicked guide dude, shows it aint straight foward as most think, you gotta write a how to in tutorials dude
myke

1st Sep 04 at 22:56   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

i may well do, but gona wait untill everything is working before i get overconfident.
few things i'm not happy about like the brake pipes touching the powercap, but i'll have to see how bad it is when it's back down on the wheels.

i was relieved to have got the block in on the mounts, but it seems that was just the easy bit out of the way.
Greasemonkey

1st Sep 04 at 23:07   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Your a braver man than I, i tend to stick to what i know and swap corsa engines for corsa engines lol, good luck dude
myke

1st Sep 04 at 23:16   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

the swap is the main reason why i got this corsa.
wanted to have it done to my old one, but sold it to get something faster rather than spending more on it.

still had 6months mot on the cally, but the corsa came up cheap, so i had to have it.
Icy

1st Sep 04 at 23:36   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

stil dotn have a clue wots in the pics
but is interesting n a good read
goodluck to u
myke

1st Sep 04 at 23:43   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

fankingyew
Corsa E-Tec

2nd Sep 04 at 08:26   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

i've been following too.
good work and i'll keep reading the updates.

Myke, do you work with motors alot?

<<  1    2  >>

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » conversion update 22 database queries in 0.1120291 seconds