corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Help Zone, Modification and ICE Advice » Car Update.....

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Car Update.....
Matty L

User status: Offline
26th Aug 04 at 20:40   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Car Update.....

I've been having speedo problems ever since i had the car.I'm doing 40mph and the speedo is showing 30.I've been advised that the problem lies in the size of the tyes.There 50's and are to big appantly and this is wot is causing the problem.So i order a pair of michalin 45's at v rating for £100.Streering seams a bit lighter with the new front tyes but the speedo problem is still there except its only out by about 7 mph now.I've ordered a secound hand speedometer for £15 and that should be hear tommorow too.

Tried removing the side strips but later found out that there is missing paint work underneath so i had to put the strips back on.

Also the angel eyes i fitted a few weeks ago i've wired up to a switch in the dash board so i have control of the blue sidelights.Was a bit of a pain to do.

Taken off wipers to re-spray them black.Also cleaned the polon filter which had enough dirt on to fill all 3 buckets.Think thats the first time its been cleaned since 95.Might be buying a new filter tommorow depending on price.

Also i'm gonna look around for a spray in my car colour.I bought the actual paint in a bottle from halfords some weeks bad but its no good really.I've tried painting the side strips with the bottled stuff but it just looks shit.So im gonna try the spray.

Been thinking if i should remove the back vauxall badges.not sure if it would look any better though

When i get that paint in a spray im also gonna have a go at colouring that ugly black boot lock too

Just found out today that the streering rack has to be replaced.I only found out when i took it to a freind to change the cam belt.Hes said the steering rack is in bad condition and needs replacing asap.So i've ordered one for tommorow.The steering has always felt loose when going in a straight, dont know if this has anything to do with the rack being in bad condition but i'll find out.
ikky

26th Aug 04 at 20:53   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

spraying and associated stuff is harder than it looks to get perfect. have a go but closely follow one of the tutorials on here, and have patience
myke

26th Aug 04 at 21:26   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

rolling radius also depends on the width of the tyre as the profile is a percentage of this.
looks liek you have 195's though which should be right, and i doubt you'd get the radius out far enough to make 30odd% difference
Greasemonkey

26th Aug 04 at 22:04   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Dude ya car is CARBIC BLUE, go to halfords and get a spray can of pain, it will say VAUXHALL CARBIC BLUE on it and will match ya paint work, dont forget to use plastic primer, key the surface first and then go down the grades of wet and dry before appliying paint and dont forget CLEAR LAQUER to go on top.
Red_SXi

26th Aug 04 at 22:43   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

where u from mate?
mike_1.2LS96

26th Aug 04 at 23:16   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

How is the steering rack in bad condition?

You can't visually see the steering rack is in worse for wear state other than the rubber boots or track rod ends. If i were you I would ask for another opinion...
Sri5

27th Aug 04 at 11:54   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

your comment about the badges, take em off cos i looks miles better. I have and it only 15 minutes. My car came with that 'orrible back plastic thing around the boot lock sprayed body colour and it looks miles better too.
TOMAS

27th Aug 04 at 12:00   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

^^ No but you can 'feel' if a rack is worn - steering is very sloppy and wanders a lot...

Polen filters are cheap as chips... around £8.00 I believe.
Matty L

27th Aug 04 at 13:16   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Bought a few things today.

New streering rack is here and i'm gonna get my dad to fit it today so hopfully the streering will improve.

Appanantly you can test how worn the rack is by jacking one of your front wheels.You then get hold of the wheel both ends and try to shake it side to side.Depending on how much the wheel shakes will tell you how much the rack is worn if at all.

cheers greasemonkey.Found out today myself that its carbix blue when i took at trip to halfords to get the spray.Cost me £9.99.

Atm i'm taking off the side strips and coating them with red primer.Then i'm gonna go over that with the carbic blue and see how it turns out.Also gonna have to buy some of the special rubber to metal glue.

I bought the haynes max power manual the other day and it explains how to do many of the colouring mods so i dont think i'll get stuck.

Also pollon filter was replaced, cost me £8.

The new speedo i received this morning looks like the wrong one.Nothing like the speedometer i seen under the bonnet.Gonna have a closer look afder i've fitted the rack.

red_sxi, i'm form warrington mate

[Edited on 27-08-2004 by Matty Lee18]
TOMAS

27th Aug 04 at 13:50   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

You dont need glue for the stips, use trim tape - its like super strong double sided thin foam tape - its what the originals will be stuck on with - this is in Helfrauds too...
Gambit

27th Aug 04 at 14:50   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

why does the back end look like its raised about 3ft higher than std ride height?
and-m

27th Aug 04 at 14:53   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Greasemonkey
Dude ya car is CARBIC BLUE, go to halfords and get a spray can of pain, it will say VAUXHALL CARBIC BLUE on it and will match ya paint work, dont forget to use plastic primer, key the surface first and then go down the grades of wet and dry before appliying paint and dont forget CLEAR LAQUER to go on top.

I wouldnt use this, the Halfords colours arent good, have a look for Holts Duplicolour
Greasemonkey

27th Aug 04 at 15:06   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

one thing ya WILL need PLASTIC primer before ya spray the paint on otherwise it will flake off
mike_1.2LS96

27th Aug 04 at 18:13   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Matty Lee18

New streering rack is here and i'm gonna get my dad to fit it today so hopfully the streering will improve.

I remember doing my steering rack. 2 hours out, 2 hours in and you do it from under the car.

I loved that job
Matty L

28th Aug 04 at 13:47   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by mike_1.2LS96
quote:
Originally posted by Matty Lee18

I remember doing my steering rack. 2 hours out, 2 hours in and you do it from under the car.

I loved that job

taken my dad and i about that time too.The hardest part was getting the fooking rack outta there! had to jack up the rear engine mount.Took a lot of time and effor but it was well worth it as the steering feels alot lighter.

[Edited on 28-08-2004 by Matty Lee18]
Matty L

28th Aug 04 at 13:49   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by TOMAS
You dont need glue for the stips, use trim tape - its like super strong double sided thin foam tape - its what the originals will be stuck on with - this is in Helfrauds too...

will look into that, cheers
Matty L

28th Aug 04 at 13:50   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by TOMAS
^^ No but you can 'feel' if a rack is worn - steering is very sloppy and wanders a lot...

Polen filters are cheap as chips... around £8.00 I believe.

yeah thats right, if you where to let go of the wheel, you would not trust it to keep staight.Hard to expain in words really.Feels miles better now though!

[Edited on 28-08-2004 by Matty Lee18]
Matty L

28th Aug 04 at 13:52   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Greasemonkey

done it

red primer 2 coats, carbic blue and then clear laquer.heres the result

New Poll