corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Help Zone, Modification and ICE Advice » my new ICE install idea, how does all these 2/4 OHM work??

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author my new ICE install idea, how does all these 2/4 OHM work??
MoNkEy MaGiC

User status: Offline
12th Aug 04 at 11:50   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

this is what im considereing to get
please let me know if its ok and advice...

ALPINE MRD-M501 mono amp-
1 x 990 Watts Max,
1 x 550 Watts RMS @ 2 OHM / @ 14.4V
1 x 275 Watts RMS @ 4 OHM / @ 14.4V
1 x 425 Watts RMS @ 2 OHM / @ 12V
1 x 225 Watts RMS @ 4 OHM / @ 12V........

ALPINE 15inch SUB-SWR1541D
1000 Watts Max, 500 Watts RMS, Dual 4 OHM Voice Coils, Frequency Response 20Hz-2kHz

i want it too be loud!!!
is this setup ok in terms of correct amount of RMS/Watts and power of sub??
and how would i wire this? i dont understand what it means by 2 0HM, 4 0HM, single/double voice coil??

cheers for any help

[Edited on 12-08-2004 by MoNkEy MaGiC]
langey

12th Aug 04 at 11:53   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

not 100% but i think it will run at 2ohm so will be fine, but get someone else to back me up first.
MoNkEy MaGiC

12th Aug 04 at 12:05   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

cheers

the sub has Dual voice coils at 4 OHM? does this mean it has two sets of connections and has to be wired in 4 OHM?
how would i wire it for 2 OHM??
my car battery is 12V, how can i get it to run at 14.4V?
corsa-sxi

12th Aug 04 at 12:42   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

ive been told when the car is on it runs at 14.4?
MoNkEy MaGiC

12th Aug 04 at 15:19   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by corsa-sxi
ive been told when the car is on it runs at 14.4?

oh i see, can anybody second that?
Dom

12th Aug 04 at 17:13   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

If you connect the sub up into a 2ohm load (wire each voice coil in paralle) then the amp will only produce 425wRMS (+/- 10wRMS for difference in battery power, cabling etc). Only way to get the 550wRMS would be to run a dual battery setup, to gain the 14v-15v power supply to the amp.

However, it is alright to run this, BUT (big but here), dont play the system to the limit when under powering a sub, as it will cause the amp to distort (at high levels of volume) and distortion is a sub worse enemy

Therefore, if you want to get the most out of the sub, then choose another amp that produces 550-600wRMS at 2ohms @ 12-13volts.
Or, use a different sub, or go for a dual battery system
MoNkEy MaGiC

12th Aug 04 at 17:24   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

i dont want to use dual batteries!

i really want this amp but dont want to spend more just for a few RMS more! as i WONT be playing at MAX volume all the time, if at all really, will do my head in!

cant i get the extra voltage i need by E.G a power cap or better alternator?
BUT... i thought the AMP should never over power the SUB but be set to a bit below it??
Dom

12th Aug 04 at 17:37   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

well, no you will always be under powering the sub ,with your current setup

Adding a power cap will do bugger all, since its basically just used to reduce a little bit of strain from the battery(s) when the amp needs a quick boost of power for really low bass notes etc

And alternator, will also not effect the voltage of the battery much, although a bigger one will charge it up quicker, which is especially useful if you notice your lights dimming etc when the amp needs a quick surge of power.

You could also try upgrading your battery to a heavy duty jobby, like a yellow top etc Which will help quite abit and you might beable to get the required 14volts for the amp. But to make the best use of it, you will need to upgrade the alternator.

As for the RMS rating etc, well you need the amp to produce the RMS rating of the sub, atleast. If you have it over that (50wRMS etc), its perfectly fine as you would turn the gains down a little, but it will also limit the amount of distortion the amp causes when being played near the limits.

tbh, you will be fine, but when you set it all up, hire/borrow a scope (oscilloscope) and mark out the max volume u can have on your preouts (connect the scope to a single preout connections and the turn the volume up on, until the sinewave starts to have little peaks, then turn it down until they go and the volume that ur HU says is the max volume you should use). And then plug them into the amp and connect the scopre to the speaker outputs, put the HU on full volume (what you just got) and adjust the gain(s) on the amp (until its at the highest point where it doesnt distort). And bingo your sorted
MoNkEy MaGiC

12th Aug 04 at 18:10   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

cheers for advice mate, some real good info

well as long as it will be ok and sounds good and LOUD when i want i wont be playing at max volume so i should be ok... i used to have a 600watt sub with a V12 Alpine amp and i never used to listen to it at full volume! but that was years ago and i really want a good system now

i have a Heavier duty battery compared to the old one i had not the best but better than last one, so if i get a even better battery and uprated alternator i will be fine then
Mikorsa16v

15th Aug 04 at 11:08   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

basically, for the most power you need to wire the dual voice cone in parallel, so one positive connection links to the other positive connectionm, then to the amp, and the same with the negative.

this will then show up to the amp as a 2ohm load

New Poll