corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » New Site

New Poll
  <<  1    2  >> Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author New Site
Antz

User status: Offline
25th Jul 04 at 17:56   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Hi guys and girls...

I went for a job interview the other day... the guy said he was going to look at my web site so he can get an idea of my skills and stuff... the job is for a web developer post...

Can you have a look at my site and tell me what you think... and would you trust me to build you a web site?

>>> DJ Spinner - [Home] <<<(Baring in mind that I've only been working on this site for about 2 hours)

Cheers

[Edited on 25-07-2004 by Ant D]
Stuckey

25th Jul 04 at 18:04   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

not abd for 2 hours work
Jodi_the_g

25th Jul 04 at 18:05   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

not bad but if i told someone to look at it for a job i would have spent alot longer on it
Dom

25th Jul 04 at 18:53   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

graphics look pretty neat mate
but that doesnt demostrate any website design stuff really...you want to pack the site out with client-sided scripts, loads of graphics and other flashy stuff...especially stuff like Flash files etc
If you have the time, do some back end stuff...in php if pos

Also, i would recommend that you get abit of free space with a domain, as it a)allows for no adverts therefore making it look more professional and b) you can use it as a test pad for working on stuff in your spare time etc
GREG 1

25th Jul 04 at 18:54   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

You have a very similiar DJ name to me
Shane

25th Jul 04 at 18:57   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

banner is very simple, the splash screen hurts ur eyes, maybe you could venture into a bit of flash mayb??
Paul_J

25th Jul 04 at 20:57   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Bit shit...

unless its for a crap web designing company, I doubt by looking at that you'll get the job (unless training is included)

No offence.
Je11ybubb1es

25th Jul 04 at 21:01   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

bit harsh paul. hardly constructive critism
MarkW

25th Jul 04 at 21:06   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Paul_J
Bit shit...

unless its for a crap web designing company, I doubt by looking at that you'll get the job (unless training is included)

No offence.

exactly what he said - plus all ur image file's are .png when they should really be .jpg or .gif (load much quicker) - banner's nice at top - although the first "enter" screen needs to be really a lot better - remember this is first page ur possible employer is gonna see - and personally i would get rid of the grey - need clean fresh site - maybe all white? check out me site for some ideas if u like - i got a fair bit of background detail in it http://www.purple5.com admittedly it ain't finished but u get the idea - sorry if coments are a bit harsh - but its just my opinion

[Edited on 25-07-2004 by purple5]

plus ur email links for msn & aol disappear when u hover over them - what u create this in??

liamC

25th Jul 04 at 21:18   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Guna have to get rid of your javascript...or get it working....or cater for more than one browser...

The main page doesnt even work for Mozilla browser users, all Im getting is your HTML source, with your CSS at the top....
Paul_J

25th Jul 04 at 21:28   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Je11ybubb1es
bit harsh paul. hardly constructive critism

No ... It's realistic... His site is poor, I would not use that to show case my skills if I was trying to impress. He even said himself, he only bothered to waste 2 hours on it.

What's this say to the employers? Right well the one example I want to show you I can't be arsed to do a good job on, or spend much time on, or even get any decent hosting... So just imagine what I'll do for your clients

Not sending a good signal. These days every man and their dog can do web design up to that standard. Some of us have skills to do better and I feel if Ant D gets the job, I feel its a bit unfair as their are talented web designers out there that are struggling to find work.

Compare Ant_D's site, to Purple5's site (though it displays a bit small on my screen)

One looks rushed, unnecisary and tacky. The other looks clean, stylish and professional.

Who's the employer gonna hire?

Paul J
MarkW

25th Jul 04 at 21:31   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Compare Ant_D's site, to Purple5's site (though it displays a bit small on my screen)

One looks rushed, unnecisary and tacky. The other looks clean, stylish and professional.

thankyou

liamC

25th Jul 04 at 21:32   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Heres one of my sites I did over a year ago...just remembered about it...been ages since I did it...over a year and a half I think...IMO this is a canny site by me!...

http://www.creativedezine.co.uk/
MarkW

25th Jul 04 at 21:34   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Ant_D - if u want some inspiration for all different types of sites checkout http://www.coolhomepages.com some of the best site's in the world are there.......

http://www.creativedezine.co.uk/ looks fair good tht m8 personally don't like background colour but tht's me

Paul_J

25th Jul 04 at 21:37   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by liam_nufc
Heres one of my sites I did over a year ago...just remembered about it...been ages since I did it...over a year and a half I think...IMO this is a canny site by me!...

http://www.creativedezine.co.uk/

some cool tutourials on there for photoshop
Shane

25th Jul 04 at 21:40   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

http://n3trixnet.com <=== thats mine never got round to finishing it
Paul_J

25th Jul 04 at 21:47   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

A couple of my quick ones...

http://www.trytorrentz.com

http://www.freewebs.com/modifiedcentral/

Both shit and both quick... I do not believe I'm good enough to work at a web company.

But ant, do you now realise how feeble your site looks compared to netrix, purple 5, liam etc?

sorry, but when you said "This site is for showing my skills for a job... I could only be bothered to spend 2 hours on it" - I lost all respect. As you should of spent more time than you would on your 'example' site than you would on any client...

Look at http://www.xeofreestyle.com (top site)

At the end of the day, it doesn't even need fancy graphics... Just a clean design and good functionality!
Shane

25th Jul 04 at 21:52   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

paul that last site is good design, and makable if u have knoledge of flash, etc, but u have to start somewhere and learn from mistakes that u have made, and also as u progress u will learn new skills,

yes we are gunning him down but if he is newish at it fair play for trying
Paul_J

25th Jul 04 at 21:55   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

why is someone new trying to get a job as a web designer?
Shane

25th Jul 04 at 21:59   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
why is someone new trying to get a job as a web designer?

becoz thats maybe wat he wants 2 do i wouldnt say my designs are top notch and some of the other designs ive seen aint ether, ppl want flashy but simple for an easy customer interface, just let him get on with it paul
Paul_J

25th Jul 04 at 22:03   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Ok

But it's not even what his site is like that bothers me. It's his lazy attitude - like 'The one thing I'm going to use to try to impress the employer, I'm gonna spend the least possible amount of time on'
Antz

25th Jul 04 at 22:27   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Bit shit...

No offence.

Well to say I'm 100% self tought I don't think I'm doing that bad... how many 18 year olds do you know that can write in php, asp, VB, C++, HTML and Java...?

The job involves editing templates bought from a company online.... it is very basic stuff... but lots of money involved.
5door_jon

25th Jul 04 at 22:32   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

i got a java script error in firefox
Paul_J

25th Jul 04 at 22:33   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

cool then

I wasn't having a go, just the fact that your attitude of only spending 2 hours on something you hope to impress with isn't great.
MikeLamb

25th Jul 04 at 22:35   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

im 17 and lots.. i mean who isnt a "web designer"
quote:
Originally posted by Ant D

Well to say I'm 100% self tought I don't think I'm doing that bad... how many 18 year olds do you know that can write in php, asp, VB, C++, HTML and Java...?

The job involves editing templates bought from a company online.... it is very basic stuff... but lots of money involved.

<<  1    2  >>

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » New Site 22 database queries in 0.1977680 seconds