corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » Wireless networking help!

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Wireless networking help!
drunkenfool

User status: Offline
19th Jul 04 at 19:35   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I set up a wireless network at my dads house, which was working fine till we changed the mobo in his desktop, and i cant get it to work again! Its an ad-hoc 11g network, just a desktop (2k pro) and a laptop (XP). Both the PCs are on the MSHOME workgroup, no encryption as yet, both cards are showing as working fine in my computer. I can ping from the desktop to the laptop, the network connection properties on the laptop shows the packets being received, but the desktop says "Request timed out". When trying to ping the desktop from the laptop, request times out, but the desktop doesnt seem to receive any packets.

Anyone got any ideas at all, im getting pissed off trying to sort it out!
Aaron02

19th Jul 04 at 19:57   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

i guess they've both got static IP's?
Ally

19th Jul 04 at 20:00   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Dude ask Richie, 90% of the machines in this house run off the wireless
drunkenfool

19th Jul 04 at 20:12   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Tried with static and assigned IPs. Set the laptop as 192.168.7.1 subnet 255.255.255.0, and the gateway as the IP of the desktop, that didnt work either. Couldnt even ping it. :S
Aaron02

19th Jul 04 at 20:15   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

do both static, if its Ad-Hoc theres no point in an assigned IP. set one to 192.168.17.2 and one to 192.168.17.3. leave the subnet to the default address...
Sinth

19th Jul 04 at 20:23   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

set it as obtain ip automatically
Joff

19th Jul 04 at 21:09   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Try uninstalling the devices and reconnecting.

Aaron02

19th Jul 04 at 21:11   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Joff
Try uninstalling the devices and reconnecting.

yeah good point....if its a Belkin or Netgear product, make sure you install the software before installing the hardware
drunkenfool

19th Jul 04 at 21:14   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

done this on both the PCs after talking to richie. Also tried the PCI card in a few different slots. Given up for tonight and gone back home but any more ideas would be mucho appreciated! Are there any affordable broadband routers with ISDN backup around? He lives too far out in the country to get ADSL at the moment, but it will be there in the next few years so he said he would consider getting one so long as they arent mega bucks.
willay
Organiser: South East, National Events
Premium Member

19th Jul 04 at 21:25   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Hmmm communication one way, maybe theres a firewall running somewhere with a anal ruleset/blacklist ?

Wouldnt bother with a ADSL modem until he can actually get ADSL, and I dont know any ADSL ISP's that provide ISDN as a backup way, most of them only provide a dialup line which is still pay per minute.

I'd suggest to sign up to a normal dial up account, I use to go on with onetel who provide 24/7 connection but disconnected me every 6 hours (this was important as I wasnt ready to stand a 2 hour disconnect)
drunkenfool

19th Jul 04 at 21:35   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

nah i meant an actual hardware router that has a backup ISDN port for then the ADSL goes down. I know they exist, but the cheapest ive seen is about £200 i think. Not worth spending that much fixing it when i know the hardware worrks, cos ive had it workin before!
willay
Organiser: South East, National Events
Premium Member

19th Jul 04 at 21:38   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Personally havent seen any adsl routers that have ISDN adapters on them.

and the firewall stuff?
drunkenfool

20th Jul 04 at 02:21   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

no firewall at all, not hardware or software.

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » Wireless networking help! 22 database queries in 0.0130181 seconds