corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » 1.6? 2.0? your thoughts please

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author 1.6? 2.0? your thoughts please
westsidecorsa

User status: Offline
21st Jun 04 at 10:38   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I have had my car nearly 3 years now, when i bought it, it was a standard 1.0 12 valve envoy! With black bumpers horrible interior etc, anyway, i have modified it to my taste and the exterior is neraly complete, its lowered on 15's, fully colour coded, exhaust, badgless fk grill, clear rear lights and tinted windows. pics can be seen here http://www.geocities.com/danmanofsteel2003/randomstuff.html

All i need now are some subtle sideskirts and a gsi spoiler and i feel the exterior will be complete, these will be purchased shortly. In a few months i will be 21 and have a years no claims, so the engine conversion will take place, i want a 1.6 sport engine due to insurance but i think if i am paying for the labour of fitting ( CossVaux ) why not just go for a 2.0!? i know insurance etc will be high at first, but from what ppl have told me the 1.6 is not a patch on the 2.0!
What should i do? - any comments or suggestions about the car would be appreciated, i know it may not be to everyones taste but i quite like the subtle modified look! - sorry about the essay
Ditch

21st Jun 04 at 10:41   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

2.0ltr 16v will cost you about £2000 for a sound conversion including breaks and suspension if you get it done by LM or Beardy

then spend the money you saved by not going to ocss vaux on insuring the new toy!!

If you go for a 1.6.... you will only want a 2.0ltr a year or two down the line...
RichR
Premium Member

21st Jun 04 at 11:58   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

i am in the same predicament - I need something doing but £2000 is a lot towards another car - and if I sink it into the corsa - I'll never get it back
J4CKO

21st Jun 04 at 12:01   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Ditch
2.0ltr 16v will cost you about £2000 for a sound conversion including breaks and suspension if you get it done by LM or Beardy

then spend the money you saved by not going to ocss vaux on insuring the new toy!!

If you go for a 1.6.... you will only want a 2.0ltr a year or two down the line...

can get one for under a grand wiv suspension and brakes engine supplied and fitted !!
broster
Premium Member

21st Jun 04 at 12:02   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

depends what u want really, some decided to tune a 1600 rather than go for the 2ltr, some say its more fun, i agree, but then a 2.0ltr will be faster out the box untill u do some work on the 1600, 1600 with 2k spent on it will be a nippy car and have same power as a 2.0ltr or near enuff
MoNkEy MaGiC

21st Jun 04 at 12:43   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by broster
depends what u want really, some decided to tune a 1600 rather than go for the 2ltr, some say its more fun, i agree, but then a 2.0ltr will be faster out the box untill u do some work on the 1600, 1600 with 2k spent on it will be a nippy car and have same power as a 2.0ltr or near enuff

yeah power may be same or equal to a mildly modded 2.0 but the torque on a 1.6 will never match a 2.0 especially if the 2.0 has been modded
westsidecorsa

21st Jun 04 at 12:54   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

well i think after driving a 1.0 12 valve for 2 years a 1.6 will keep me happy for a while! and i hear they are very tunable, the insurance will be £1500 on the 1.6, dont dare get a quote for the 2.0 yet!
ed

21st Jun 04 at 12:58   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

DIY the conversion for a 2.0 16v, will cost you less than £1000
Tim
Site Administrator

21st Jun 04 at 13:00   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

However I insured my 2L for £1350 @ 21 with 0 NCB... fully comp! It's an S-reg too so it's not that old...

I'd search around for some more quotes -- £1500 is ridiculous @ 21 with 1 ncb...
Siberia

21st Jun 04 at 13:58   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Tim
However I insured my 2L for £1350 @ 21 with 0 NCB... fully comp! It's an S-reg too so it's not that old...

I'd search around for some more quotes -- £1500 is ridiculous @ 21 with 1 ncb...

hrmmm i'm 27 with 1 years ncb on a 1.2 8v and it cost me £1700 but this is a different country
broster
Premium Member

21st Jun 04 at 14:37   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by MoNkEy MaGiC
quote:
Originally posted by broster

yeah power may be same or equal to a mildly modded 2.0 but the torque on a 1.6 will never match a 2.0 especially if the 2.0 has been modded

2k whould get you a set of throttle bodies and dta management with 300left over, u should be able to get a map for 300id say! i doubt there would be much in it! i never said it would be a modded 2.0ltr tho did i lol, soon as you start to mod the 2.0ltr the 1.6 would fall back
corsa120

21st Jun 04 at 16:25   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

exactly so theres more to start with on a 2.0

like i said before the 1.6 is gr8 engine and very tunable but ur only releasing power that vauxhall effectively took away by tuning it

also like daimo said donna's 160bhp c16xe has more power than a stock 2.0 16v in a corsa but it could not win still so the 1.6 actually needs more power to beat the 2.0 in stock form
westsidecorsa

21st Jun 04 at 23:13   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

well thanks for the replies, think ill look around for a different insurance company, any suggestions, £1500 was from HIC, i have 3 points too
Captain_Rosco

22nd Jun 04 at 00:03   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Some one told me that a 1.6L are the best all round engine to put and play with for a corsa, where as a 2.0L are heavier, don't take fast bends as good, and take longer to slow down due to the more weight at the front.

is that ture ???

I don't know how silly this would sound...but what happen if you go half way and put a 1.8L in a Corsa ???

myke

22nd Jun 04 at 00:06   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

1.8 is from the family1 engine type i think.
this means it's the same size block as the 2ltr, and hence will way the same.

could be wrong about this, and maybe the newer astra ones are alluminium or something.
they'll also be more expensive though, and there wont be nearly as much stuff you can get for them to tune it further.
Siberia

22nd Jun 04 at 07:21   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

the 1.8 is meant for driving the kids to school so the power delivery is difference so it wont scare the kids.

2ltr is is for making grown men cry hence power delivery is scary
Claire Richardson

22nd Jun 04 at 08:47   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

You know my thoughts on this chuck.
I've had a GSi for 5 years slightly tuned to get 130bhp. Then I had the 2ltr conversion and the difference is blinding. A mod I wish I'd done much ealier. A definate improvement on the 1.6 GSi
All you need to do is decided who and where you're gonna get it done.
Obviously I'd recommend Cossvaux cause I had mine done there and alls fine. Slight oil leak thats getting sorted. With them being a company that does these conversions on a daily basis they are always there if you have a problem. depends how much money you've got to spare i suppose.

Claire
Siberia

22nd Jun 04 at 09:09   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Claire Richardson
You know my thoughts on this chuck.
I've had a GSi for 5 years slightly tuned to get 130bhp. Then I had the 2ltr conversion and the difference is blinding. A mod I wish I'd done much ealier. A definate improvement on the 1.6 GSi
All you need to do is decided who and where you're gonna get it done.
Obviously I'd recommend Cossvaux cause I had mine done there and alls fine. Slight oil leak thats getting sorted. With them being a company that does these conversions on a daily basis they are always there if you have a problem. depends how much money you've got to spare i suppose.

Claire

how much did they charge?
stevegreetham

22nd Jun 04 at 10:07   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

how much do cossvaux charge firstly for a 1.6 conversion and then a 2.0 conversion....donor car being a 1.2 8v....i just dont wanna get ripped off lol
starkmotorsport

22nd Jun 04 at 10:31   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Dont go for a 2.0 Conversion!

They're so common now, 99% of moddified Corsa's/Nova's have them! Drop in a 1600 16v which has been properly tuned and it'll be lighter in weight, handling will be better and it'll be just as good fun and you'll still beat 2.0's!

People need imagination instead of just dropping in the same old engine for every car. Ojc could have dropped in a 2.0 but he chose a 1400 16v with TB's for instance...

And our Nova is a 1400 8v and we beat silly cars in it!
Claire Richardson

22nd Jun 04 at 22:33   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

You'd have to ring and ask them the prices cause I dont know. I had other bits done while the car was in so the bill wasnt just for the conversion so again I'm not sure on the price.
Give Will a ring and ask him.

Claire
Marc

22nd Jun 04 at 22:39   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by starkmotorsport
Dont go for a 2.0 Conversion!

They're so common now, 99% of moddified Corsa's/Nova's have them! Drop in a 1600 16v which has been properly tuned and it'll be lighter in weight, handling will be better and it'll be just as good fun and you'll still beat 2.0's!

People need imagination instead of just dropping in the same old engine for every car. Ojc could have dropped in a 2.0 but he chose a 1400 16v with TB's for instance...

And our Nova is a 1400 8v and we beat silly cars in it!

No he chose a 1600 16v
westsidecorsa

25th Jun 04 at 18:24   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

well spoke to the guys at cossvaux yesterday and apparently the 1.0 12v engine is slightly different in the way that the wires and radiator is in a different position, so basically he said its not worth puttin a 1.6 in, might as well pay for the 2.0 as the cost will be the same, unfortunately nobody will insure me on the 2.0 so looks like my car is going up for sale which is a shame, anyone got any idea what its worth?

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » 1.6? 2.0? your thoughts please 22 database queries in 0.1006122 seconds