corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » Nova vs Corsa

New Poll
  <<  1    2    3    4  >> Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Nova vs Corsa
Paul H

User status: Offline
17th Jun 04 at 10:52   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

i'd sooner have a nova sr than a corsa b anyday
paul_spurrell

17th Jun 04 at 10:59   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

i loved my little nova

shame all chavs drive them.
MattyB

17th Jun 04 at 11:01   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I dont think i'd ever buy another corsa, unless in a few years i could 2.0 turbo one! But even then, i'd probably prefer to do it to a mint nova instead.
paul_spurrell

17th Jun 04 at 11:02   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

my 10yr old nova was more reliable than my 2yr old corsa. corsa put me off of vaux
stuyw

17th Jun 04 at 11:11   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

at PVS there were a lot of nova valvers beating times of corsa vavers, apart from the corsa that 13.1secs
Ojc

17th Jun 04 at 11:19   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

What idiot said the Nova SR would out brake a Corsa 1.2 16v

Nova SR brakes as standard are absolute wank
L330wnz

17th Jun 04 at 11:26   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Nova's WERE cool but now most of 'em are rust buckets and are driven by chavvy fuck heads, only decent ones are the ones that ave been modded n kept in pristine condition!! I dont think a 1.3SR would lose to a 1.2 16v corsa.. maybe top end but not on acceleration. But the 1.4SR Nova's are nippy, raced one in my 1.6 sport and did keep up until about 35-40 and then I left him, but nippy lil buggers
vibrio
Banned

17th Jun 04 at 11:28   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by calidus
I want my ass raped by a black man

click here

L330wnz

17th Jun 04 at 11:29   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

on form there Vibs
vibrio
Banned

17th Jun 04 at 11:29   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Ojc

Nova's are absolute wank

dinosaur

17th Jun 04 at 12:30   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Well OJC ic correct, I bought the Nova this morning, brought it back changed the oil, changed the plugs, put in a new panel filter and put the proper pressure in the tyres. Took out the spare and jack for some weight saving and drove behind my mate in our Corsa Comfort (Y reg 1.2 16v) to go get it MOT'd (due in 3 weeks). When I tired to pull round him and pass him on a dual carriageway on the way to the test centre, I managed to pull level (out of his slipstream) and then I just stayed level and at about 85 he pulled away about three car lengths.

Nova feels quick, but Corsa must be more aerodynamic past a certain speed, and is probably got more power than quoted.
MattyB

17th Jun 04 at 12:32   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Ojc

Nova SR brakes as standard are absolute wank

WHAT THE FCUK ARE U CHATTING ABOUT?? You obviously know NOTHING. The Nova SR Ran the IDENTICAL set up to the SXi (236x20mm vented), yet the nova was lighter, thus meaning braking was better.

Your only gettin out of your pram coz your the FOOL who just said a 1.2 16v corsa (sluggish and heavy) would beat a lighter and more powerful Nova SR. Yep - good one.

Just coz u had a 1.2 16v, u think the world of them, even tho it was slow, didnt handle, and u got probably got beaten by every pikie in Reading with a Nova SR

Matt
dinosaur

17th Jun 04 at 12:34   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Matty the brakes on a Nova are poor because when they made the RHD versions they kept the master cylinder in the LHD position opposite to the pedal box so that caused efficiency problems.
MattyB

17th Jun 04 at 12:38   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by dinosaur
Well OJC ic correct, I bought the Nova this morning, brought it back changed the oil, changed the plugs, put in a new panel filter and put the proper pressure in the tyres. Took out the spare and jack for some weight saving and drove behind my mate in our Corsa Comfort (Y reg 1.2 16v) to go get it MOT'd (due in 3 weeks). When I tired to pull round him and pass him on a dual carriageway on the way to the test centre, I managed to pull level (out of his slipstream) and then I just stayed level and at about 85 he pulled away about three car lengths.

Nova feels quick, but Corsa must be more aerodynamic past a certain speed, and is probably got more power than quoted.

The Corsa C 1.2 16v has 75bhp, where was the corsa B SXi had 65bhp. A 12+ year old car, 8bhp down, keeping up with a new model corsa to 80 isnt really too bad.
MattyB

17th Jun 04 at 12:41   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by dinosaur
Matty the brakes on a Nova are poor because when they made the RHD versions they kept the master cylinder in the LHD position opposite to the pedal box so that caused efficiency problems.

They stopped well enough for standard. By no means was it 'great', but it was better than the Corsa.

My brother's GSi always pulled up as well as my cousins mint Corsa GSi without a problem.
dinosaur

17th Jun 04 at 12:42   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I reckon the 1.2 16v was underquoted in power. I drove a 1.4 Corsa Sri C and there is only a small difference. Nothing like those who own a 1.4 would have you believe.

There also is nothing wrong with the SR I just bought because before I serviced it driving it home after buying it, I raced some geezer in a Golf 1.6 and beat him and theya re supposed to be 10.5 to 60. but he prob couldnt drive.
starkmotorsport

17th Jun 04 at 12:42   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Matt

Ojc is correct in that the Nova wont noticeably outbrake the Corsa. Yes the Nova is lighter in weight, but the difference in braking is so small that its insignificant.

And you cant test this as theres far too many factors to take into account: peoples reaction times/condition of parts/tread/pads etc
paul_spurrell

17th Jun 04 at 12:44   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

the problem with the brakes on the nova were that you had to stand up inside the car to get it to stop.

Really they were ok, just had no feel what so ever
MattyB

17th Jun 04 at 13:36   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

The SXi could possibly have been underquoted in power, but not by much. Not enough to make them a "quick" car. Paul off here thinks he has a 'fast' SXi, and runs 19.5-20s 1/4. Woteva way u look at it, they are pretty heavy bulky cars, with an engine designed for reduction in noise, fuel consumption and emissions. The Nova SR was never designed for this, hint why Pierbergs were used right upto cease of manufacture.

If u could drive, you could stop a nova SR. Same goes for the GTE which was a beasty under braking as well, but it would do it well enough.

I've driven loadsa corsas and novas, and without the 2.0 ATE set up, they are poor. The 236x20s just couldnt hold the weight especially considering the weight of some B's with aircon, ABS, leccy etc etc.

Weight makes a hell of a difference when it comes to braking....it dictates the feel, the stability and obviously the braking distance, which is why i would feel a hell of a lot more confident stopping a nova, than an SXi.

So what ur saying from ur last couple of posts Dinosaur, is that 1.2 16v B, is as quick as 1.4 16v C, which are both faster than a 1.2 16v C, which is faster than a nova SR. I have to disagree strongly, as a well driven SR in good condition would not lose to an SXi in a straight line sprint, and it would leave it round corners.

Obviously its not easy to test, as they arent many well looked after, unmodified, medium milage SRs left to get a fair comparison. I do however, know someone with an absolutely untouched 1.4SR that i'm sure would be very happy to run against ANY 1.4 SRi corsas to prove this point.

Matt
dave17

17th Jun 04 at 13:52   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by MattyB

Weight makes a hell of a difference when it comes to braking....it dictates the feel, the stability and obviously the braking distance, which is why i would feel a hell of a lot more confident stopping a nova, than an SXi.

Matt

no chance, what would u rather hit something in, a corsa, or a nova
Ojc

17th Jun 04 at 14:11   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Brakes were wank, trust me.

I owned a black Nova 1.4 SR and a 1.2 16v Corsa at the same time and they were exactly the same, you can't argue with me I raced so many of the both in the time I had the two cars.

Nova brakes as standard are shite, unless you upgrade the servo to a larger GSi/GTE one and fit Astra GTE calipers and discs.
MattyB

17th Jun 04 at 14:48   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Dave17
quote:
Originally posted by MattyB

Matt

no chance, what would u rather hit something in, a corsa, or a nova

sorry but accident damage is something totally different. I would agree that the corsa has better chance in an accident, especially those with air bags. But i feel more confident i wouldnt hit something had i had better breakin, in a more stable car, that isnt so heavy.
dinosaur

17th Jun 04 at 14:50   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I said, concurring with OJC that the Corsa 1.2 16v doesnt give anything away in performance to a Nova 1.4 SR (mines pre facelift). I said that the Corsa C 1.4 16v is quicker than the Corsa C 16v 1.2 but not Loads quicker.

Can't comment on Corsa B 1.2 16v at all.

However my SR Nova in VGC ain't quicker than my Corsa C 1.2 comfort.
Leading me to conclude that the 1.2 engine prob has more like 80 bhp rather than 75, loses less power than a Nova through the transmission and prob is more aerodynamic which is a big plus at speed. The Nova is of course lighter though.

[Edited on 17-06-2004 by dinosaur]
MattyB

17th Jun 04 at 14:56   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Ojc
Brakes were wank, trust me.

I owned a black Nova 1.4 SR and a 1.2 16v Corsa at the same time and they were exactly the same, you can't argue with me I raced so many of the both in the time I had the two cars.

Nova brakes as standard are shite, unless you upgrade the servo to a larger GSi/GTE one and fit Astra GTE calipers and discs.

I dont agree at all. I've not owned a nova, but have driven every derivative (bar a convertable and a 1.0) many a time.

Ur Nova was obviously shot. For a 1.2 16v to be on a par with a SR is something, but to reckon ur SXi was as fast as a 1400 carb SR

As i said, i know of a 44k mile 1.4 SR untouched + unmodified, who would be more than happy to challenge any 1.2 16v owners, whether it be 1/4 mile, round a track, street racing woteva, just so it can be clearly shown that you are wrong.

Matt
dinosaur

17th Jun 04 at 15:00   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Good points..

Let's end this freakin marathon.

Ok, well tonight I'll drive my untouched 56k Nova just services and minus spare wheel and jack and my mate can drive my Corsa 1.2 16v comfort and we'll have a bi-pass burnup and i'll report the result.

Either way both as slow compared to my Maxima 500 quid recent purchase and my 2.0 Corsa B. (although neither are currently road legal).

I also wanna add, teh Nova's feel quick because the friggin end lifts up when you boot in pushing you back more !

<<  1    2    3    4  >>

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » Nova vs Corsa 22 database queries in 0.1075940 seconds