corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » X16XE Turbo?

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author X16XE Turbo?
Hammer Man

User status: Offline
30th May 04 at 22:36   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Does anybody have one?

What turbo do you guys are using?

I was thinking of a KKK K16 or a Garret GT 25... Do you think that is too big?

J da Silva

30th May 04 at 22:40   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

your bolting a turbo to a 1.6 corsa engine then??
ed

30th May 04 at 22:41   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Not really too sure on turbos and stuff, but I rember reading that a T25 turbo would be about the right size for a X16XE turbo... I have no idea if this helps - do a search on migweb as this is where I read about it
Hammer Man

30th May 04 at 23:11   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by VenomTurbo
your bolting a turbo to a 1.6 corsa engine then??

In THIS corsa we have only plans so far... But i've done it to a 1.0 4 cyl already...

Why?

Hammer Man

30th May 04 at 23:16   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by 1800ed
Not really too sure on turbos and stuff, but I rember reading that a T25 turbo would be about the right size for a X16XE turbo... I have no idea if this helps - do a search on migweb as this is where I read about it

I never heard of it, but I think it could be a good choice... That's why I am asking people if anybody have it or have seen it at least...

But I noticed that is very rare to see higly modified 1.6 there... People use to go right to C20LET...

Nobody likes the "small block" there?

Jambo

31st May 04 at 00:27   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Usually due to the amount of work needed to run one properlly so it doesnt go pop!

C20 let is 205bhp out the can. Plus its tuneable!

I think there has a been a 1.6 turbo corsa b4, plus a tigra............ i think!

MIGweb love to tallk about this. Have a look on there about turboing smaller blocks
Stoneyginger
Premium Member

31st May 04 at 02:09   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Their was a gentleman on here by the name of Luke i think had a the said engine turbo'd with the mantzel stuff on it though i dont think it was all that impressive.
Hammer Man

31st May 04 at 16:32   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Jambo
Usually due to the amount of work needed to run one properlly so it doesnt go pop!

C20 let is 205bhp out the can. Plus its tuneable!

I think there has a been a 1.6 turbo corsa b4, plus a tigra............ i think!

MIGweb love to tallk about this. Have a look on there about turboing smaller blocks

Well, I knew it would be a rare thing, but i never tought that it would be THAT rare!

200 bhp surely won't be a problem...

But PERSONALLY, i think it so much easier to make a turbo conversion, than make an engine swap... What is the big deal? I mean... Why nobody does that?

LukeGSi

31st May 04 at 16:34   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Hammer Man
But PERSONALLY, i think it so much easier to make a turbo conversion, than make an engine swap... What is the big deal? I mean... Why nobody does that?

Im sorry i disagree, reliabilty and cost are a major factor to consider
Hammer Man

31st May 04 at 16:44   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by LukeGSi
quote:

Im sorry i disagree, reliabilty and cost are a major factor to consider

Well, everybody can and must have an opinion... But there are a lot of things to consider in this case... Mainly in the reliabililty thing...

But the "cost" part, at least here, is a far from unffair comparison... We don't even have the LET... And only the C20XE costs almost the price of the full turbo conversion for 200hp... And you still have to install the thing...

But... Could you describe a complete turbo conversion and its costs? Than I could compare it to what we use to do around here...

Ian
Site Administrator

31st May 04 at 16:45   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
No when C20LET is so easy to get hold of over here! You are not this lucky.

This is the chap with the C16XE turbo - http://www.corsasport.co.uk/board/member.php?action=viewpro&member=smoothie%20SRI

[Edited on 31-05-2004 by Ian]
J da Silva

31st May 04 at 16:48   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Hammer Man

31st May 04 at 17:01   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Ian
quote:
No when C20LET is so easy to get hold of over here! You are not this lucky.

That is so true... The max performance that can be achieved is very different too... I am not talking about what is best...

Just wondering what would be the costs *and difficulties* involved in a turbo conversion compared to an engine swap...

[Edited on 31-05-2004 by Hammer Man]
LukeGSi

31st May 04 at 17:02   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Here you can get a C20xe conversion for £1500 all in, including engine

a LET would be aroung £3000 iirc
Hammer Man

31st May 04 at 17:06   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by LukeGSi
Here you can get a C20xe conversion for £1500 all in, including engine

a LET would be aroung £3000 iirc

That would be approx. R$6 000,00 and R$12 000,00... The GSI is worth R$ 11 000 approx. ...

A complete XE costs R$ 5000,00 but there ain't conversion kits...
J da Silva

31st May 04 at 19:46   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

im fookin confused boys
Murray

31st May 04 at 21:13   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

An engine swap is alot more simple and cheaper because you can't just slap a turbo on to the engine coz it would just go bang, it needs a lot of internal mods to be able to handle the increased stresses of turbo. i'm not sure exactly what, but you'll need low comp pistons for a start plus the engine management to run it. all this means you'd probably be best dropping the engine out anyway!

I've heard of a few people who have done it, but the engine wasn't reliable and i think it only made about 160ish bhp.

alot of money & hastle for not much gain.
Tho a dump valve is a wonderful thing..................
J da Silva

31st May 04 at 21:15   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

a dump valve is good for reducing back pressure turbo lag yes, however the noise on the atmospheric are just annoying
Hammer Man

1st Jun 04 at 02:15   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Murray
An engine swap is alot more simple and cheaper because you can't just slap a turbo on to the engine coz it would just go bang, it needs a lot of internal mods to be able to handle the increased stresses of turbo. i'm not sure exactly what, but you'll need low comp pistons for a start plus the engine management to run it. all this means you'd probably be best dropping the engine out anyway!

I've heard of a few people who have done it, but the engine wasn't reliable and i think it only made about 160ish bhp.

alot of money & hastle for not much gain.
Tho a dump valve is a wonderful thing..................

Oh, thanks mate! But thats not exactly what I meant...

I know what is required to turbocharge an engine! That is one of the things we use to do at our shop...

Well, like our friend told me before, some people are lucky in a certain way, some others, are lucky too, but in a different way...

Let me explain: I live in Brasil, and here, we have pump alcohol. It is a very clean combustible, and it has a little advantage: It behaves in a certain way, very similiarly to very high octane gasoline. Requires a bigger compression rate OR (conveniently) boost pressure. It is very easy to start with a gasoline engine, run alcohol and turbocharge it.

This combustible has another little particularity: It tolerates rich mixtures better than gasoline, so, most of the cars don't even make use of intercoolers around here... It is a common thing to see 350 hp vw 8v without any kind of intercooling, relying only on a rich mixture and the fact that alcohol is "colder" than gasoline. The correct stoichmetric mixture of alcohol is 9:1, and it helps to reduce the heat in the cylinders.

Plus, all gasoline sold in Brasil has 25% of alcohol in its composition...

Some people run more than 14 psi of boost in standard engines without intercoolers. And a lot of them still use carburetors! In the older engines, with lower compression ratio, people use to run almost 30 psi! With gasoline, 10 psi is enough to melt the standard pistons. Of course, that reliability is not a strong point in these overly boosted engines...

These are the wonders of alcohol! And the price is less than half of gasoline...

Well, i guess it is easier to us to turbocharge things...

But i still would like to know what kind of management you guys use when installing a turbo...

[Edited on 01-06-2004 by Hammer Man]
R Lee

1st Jun 04 at 02:27   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

i have a friend that had a 1.6 gsi turbo conversion. he said it was pretty good fun. expensive though.

[Edited on 01-06-2004 by GoldPenguin]

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » X16XE Turbo? 22 database queries in 0.1039891 seconds