corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Help Zone, Modification and ICE Advice » alternatives to sub

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author alternatives to sub
--Dave--
Banned

User status: Offline
24th May 04 at 13:19   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Say if I didn't want to go the normal route of having a sub in the rear of the car but still wanted some decent sounding music for everyone, what would be the best way to do it?

Already getting some Infinity comps for the front, would like to keep the parcel shelf free from 6x9s really. Just wondered if maybe Coaxials were the way to go? In the rear door cards maybe? not sure....

I like my music, but not enough to warrant having a heavy sub in the back taking up room.

Anyone got any ideas?

Dave
modded_corsa

24th May 04 at 13:21   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

can get 8inch subs......or sum 7inch comps.......and put them in the door cards...shelf etc....get rid of the 6x9's.....
--Dave--
Banned

24th May 04 at 13:25   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

would 4 comps work just as well? 2 in the front and 2 in the back?
IntaCepta

24th May 04 at 13:31   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

4 decent comps will be ok.
they should be fairly big tho, 7 or 8 inch ones
--Dave--
Banned

24th May 04 at 13:32   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

so maybe 7" for the front and 8" for the back. Sounds like a plan. Course they'll be amped and on a decent head unit so I'm expecting the quality to be good.
Dom

24th May 04 at 13:57   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

stick with your infinity's in the front, and get some big comps for the back...although ive only seen a handful of companies that make 7/8" comps...although you can get a 8" sub by RE

Eitherway, 2 sets of comps will be fine, with a bigger set in the back than the front. And get both of the sets amped to their RMS rating
--Dave--
Banned

24th May 04 at 13:59   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

thanks for the info. Has anyone else on here tried this? Or am i being silly by not getting a sub?
Dom

24th May 04 at 14:05   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

just having a butchers at stuff mate and i forgot that JL do 6.5" inch sub/mid-bass speakers (99 quid each i believe) Eitherway there meant to be the mutz (just been reading reviews) and there fairly meaty when amped. Get a set of these, then a decent pair of tweeters and then a decent crossover (otherwise you tweeters will go pop if you wire them directly to the speaker output) and you will be sorted

However, it could work out more expensive than buying a decent set of comps in the first place Just get some meaty 6.5" comps for the back, by infinity if you can (try and keep the sound similar between the front and read etc) and amp both sets
--Dave--
Banned

24th May 04 at 14:24   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

how hard would it be to get all this stuff put into the car do you think? I don't have the first clue about any of it really.
Dom

24th May 04 at 14:28   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

well comps fairly easy mate, although if you placing them in the rear cards, the mid range speaker could be abit too deep (so you will need to measure it before you buy a set. And i havnt got a clue about the mounting depth of the rear cards). But yea, a simiple case of running power cables from battery, RCAs to amp (down other side of car to the power cable) then speaker wire to the speakers in the car etc.

But if you going for a the JL mid-range speaker, its bloody deep and it will require a box to be mad

But a few reads of a haynes manual + basic knowledge with electronic stuff and you will get in sorted mate, and it wouldnt take you longer than a good weekend, or if you abit slow like me (what everything perfect) then a week and you could have the whole car done (front back subs amps HU etc)
--Dave--
Banned

24th May 04 at 14:35   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

ok. Gonna go for 4 comps i think. Easier to fit and probably slightly cheaper than buying seperate tweeters and crossovers.

The fronts i can do. It's just the rear ones. Would you recommend replacing the front speaker wire? between the h/u and the front comps? or just use the standard stuff?
Filby1

24th May 04 at 14:35   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

But evey one must surly know there is no rael substitute for a sub realy when you see ur sub bouncing about the place in the boot can you imagin even a pair of 6x9s doing that?
--Dave--
Banned

24th May 04 at 14:36   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

also is their a Haynes Manual for a corsa C?
Filby1

24th May 04 at 14:39   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

tell you waht to look at Vibe do a little 8" sub called the Exact 8 i think with one of there new siliver space drivers, look realy nice and very small
--Dave--
Banned

24th May 04 at 14:54   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

did a quick search on google, couldnt seem to find anything on that one.
Filby1

24th May 04 at 14:56   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

try www.vibeaudio.co.uk, they sell them at www.edworthys.co.uk
Filby1

24th May 04 at 15:00   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

did you find them? what ya think?
--Dave--
Banned

24th May 04 at 15:02   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

yeah look very nice and small. Just what i need really. Would fit snuggly into the corner and wouldnt take up any boot space whatsoever. Was only intending to spend around £100... but i guess £134 shouldn't be too bad.

Will shop around a bit first, thanks for the recommendation mate.
Dom

24th May 04 at 16:20   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

VIBE are wank...there top amps are alright i suppose, but there subs are shite...simple as
if your going for a sub mate, then get a decent 10" sub, or if you want a 8" then JL do them (more expensive) but atleast with JL it will sound decent and aslong as you give it the power it needs it will deliver
AdiSRI

24th May 04 at 17:37   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

get the focal polykevlar 3 way kit, thats VERY good sound, and has seperate, woofer, midbass and tweeter.

[Edited on 24-05-2004 by AdiSRI]
Filby1

25th May 04 at 07:03   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

The new Vibe Range are not all that bad, teh new black air are loads better than the old pulse 3, and the space are even better.

New Poll