corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Help Zone, Modification and ICE Advice » Alreet Lads and Lasses

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Alreet Lads and Lasses
G4

User status: Offline
17th May 04 at 08:11   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Hi Everyone, just though I would introduce myself to the board, im going to be sticking around for long time now I've found this site (Which might not be a good thing for you lot).

A bit about myself:
My name is G4(no seriously) and I'm 17. I live in Eccles, Manchester and have my driving test on the 3rd of June, so fingers crossed. My interest are cars, birds and most importantly Bolton Wanderers, COME ON YOU WHITEMEN!!! I left college after 3 days and got myself a job working in a office, on a pretty damn good wage for my age, so I could buy my own car and do it up.

Now, im new to this game, so know very little about "kitting" out a car, so hopefully I can learn from this board.

I have just bought my Mums Car from her. Its a new shape Vauxhall Corsa 1.2 SXI (In Gold), 5 Door, MV52 Reg. It's in perfect nick with 15,000 miles on the clock.

The insurance is currently £1,300 with my mum as main driver and me as 2nd. She has had her license for 20 years and has 4 years no claims.

Here's where I hope you guys can help me

My aim is to get my insurance down to around £800 for both of us, for when I pass my test.

I then want to gradually do my car up, hopefully without putting the insurance up at all (or very little).

Alloys:
My mate reckons that I can only have 15" inch alloys on my car, otherwise I will have to lower? the car, which will cost a lot and increase my insurance. I'm not sure what he means by this or whether it is true or not?

Blacked Out Windows:
I've heard all kinds of stories about these. Rumours that they are illegal and the Police pull you at every oppatunity given, you are only aloud a certain number of windows blacked out and to a certain tint? and rumours you can't see shit outside, from inside the car? I've heard the price is around £200?

Body Kit:
I've looked at a few sites, but I don't understand the Corsa A,B & C thing. Is the A,B,C the type of car I have or is that a description of the kits? Can any kit fit any Corsa 5 Door?

Sound System:
I want a Multiple CD/MP3 player, with extra speakers added in my boot. I know I need an Amp? and subs?, but thats it. How much does a complete package cost?

Obviously I'm going to do all this bit by bit, but hope to have it all done within 3 months depending on finances.

Thanks for reading and hopefully some of you can help me in anyway you can.

Thanks in advance,

G4
Graham

17th May 04 at 08:22   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

welcome to the board matey here we go with answering ure questions

firstly nice name
secondly slap your mates, alloys will only put on about 50 quid on ure insurance and 15 and 16 " are fine 17" may need a little work but there are loads members on here with them so u2u them. Plus they are 15" wheels you dont need to lower (but it will look odd).

Tints are a bitch nowadays, only the rear windscreen and rear passenger windows can be done now.
bodykits, well your out of your mind if u dont want to put up the insurance then put the demon-tweeks catalogue away and stop lookin its not gonna happen.

sound systems, post in ice and electrics they will give you some help in there, but again its gonna cost. finally if you hope to have it done all within three months your dreaming not gonna happen unless your mighty mouse

G4

17th May 04 at 08:26   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Cheers matey,

How much does a Body Kit affect the insurance?
Dan_Corsa

17th May 04 at 08:26   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

alright mate welcome to the forums

first off
Alloys
i can see where your mates are comin from if you put any bigger wheels than 15's on the car is gonna sit higher than tractor,lol,altho it will sit high on 15's with out lowering,lowering isnt really that expensive pretty easy on vauxhalls and you could probably do it your self with a haynes manual,some tools,and spring compressors,cost you about 70 quid for lowering springs or 250 for a full suspension kit which is springs and dampers
Blacked out windows
its perfectly legal to tint the back 3 windows as dark as u like but the front 2 side windows are what cause the problems,they have to allow 75% of light threw them which bassically means you can tint them legally with light smoke film but any darker and your running the risk of bein told to have them removed,and bein harrased by the police and yeah the cost roughly about 200 quid for a professional job
Body Kit
bassically a corsa A is a nova,corsa B is a 1993-2000 corsa,corsa C is the new shape corsa 2000 onwards,and the front and rear bumpers of any kit will fit a 5 door but u'll have trouble finding side skirts as there aint much option for 5 door side skirts around but 3 door 1's could be modded to fit
Soundsystem
best lookin at some where like www.cel-direct.com they do sub/amp and box packages price's vary massivly depending on what you want

hope this as cleared things up for you

Dan
Dan_Corsa

17th May 04 at 08:29   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by G4
Cheers matey,

How much does a Body Kit affect the insurance?

best off phoning a insurance company and gettin some quotes tellin them the mods you plan to do,cos the amounts in what people pay for body kits etc vary's depending on age,location,car
G4

17th May 04 at 08:33   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

On average, how much do people spend in total kitted up their cars fully?
Dan_Corsa

17th May 04 at 08:40   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

what do you mean,what ppl spend of the modifications or on insurance,my mods on my old car seen in my garage stood me at 1000's cant give an exact figure,my insurance on that was 736 quid fully comp threw liverpool victoria with a 2.0 16v gte engine in it and all the mods declared
HeNdie

17th May 04 at 09:52   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

welcome matey, i was in same boat as you not long ago. I rang insurance and the guy on the phone was really helpful even tho he didnt know anything about modding a car.

I just asked him what mod and how much it would be, then he foudn out on his system how much it would bump the insurance.

Only thing couldnt find was induction kit :s

This was on Tesco insurance
Alloys £300, insurance went up £172 a year
everything else didnt not effect the price of insurance as long as combined together it did not exceed £2k
Only things i wasnt allowed on tesco was, springs till i was 21, or exhaust.

While were on the subject, any way i can get around lowering and the insurance ??? DD
Fraser Young

17th May 04 at 10:11   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Insurance is ghey anyway....
AdiSRI

17th May 04 at 10:24   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Corsa c will easy take 17 with no work at all, and sit really nice on eibach springs which cost about £120 odd...
G4

17th May 04 at 11:29   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Whats everyones Insurance at the minute?

Im down as 2nd user with my mum first, she has 4 years no claims and has had her license for 20+ years. her insurance was £250 before I was put on, its now £1,300. I've been told by someone on here, theres is only £500?
M16KE B

17th May 04 at 11:32   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Im paying £1400 fully comp with tescos - everything declared tho! including my suspension and seats, im 19 by the way. While were on the subject of insurance, has any one told their insurance company that theyve taken their airbag out and put an aftermarket wheel on? What do they say? Id phone myself but im lazy

New Poll