corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Help Zone, Modification and ICE Advice » Chipping my baby

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Chipping my baby
Corsa Wheels

User status: Offline
12th May 04 at 11:34   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Im looking for ideas about chipping my car. Ive got an ’04 reg Corsa twin-port 1.4 16v. Yeh, its quite fast already, but I want more!! I read that it is possible to chip the car to get a performance boost. I need to know some basic things
1) how much more power am I likely to get with a chip? It currently stands at 90bhp ish, but ive got a K&N induction system, so that must add a couple more. Will it also boost my torque curve? Are there any downfalls of chipping
2) Where can I get one for the twin-port engine (being a new model)
3) How much will it cost me!!!
4) Is it easy to fit? I don’t suppose I will be rolling up to my Vauxhall dealer and asking them to fit it for me..
5) Will invalidate my warranty? – if so can it be taken out and replaced with the original chip

Thanks for your help on this, im fresh on the scene of modding and need cluing up on these things!!

Thanks
AK

12th May 04 at 11:39   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

warranty - yes, but the chip dealer may have some gaurantee policy.
performance - superchip no, unichip - yes BUT its not worth it on you car at the moment.

To be honest - dont chip it. Superchips will offer the most attractive off the shelve chip, but its really no good. If had one, had it remapped several times and finally ditched it for a UNICHIP (dastek). The unichip gave me gains of upto 10bhp and 10lb/ft OVER the superchip map!!!!

BUT..... i had alot more 'mods' on my 1.4 16v
Corsa Wheels

12th May 04 at 11:50   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Im not looking at spending tooo much on it, what would u suggest I do otherwise? Im really looking to get the edge over my mates ZR-105 (mine is a lot lighter so I can drag him up a hill no worries, I just need a bit more..) and get a bit closer to his brothers ZS-120..
broster
Premium Member

12th May 04 at 11:53   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

i agree with adam kindness i had a superchip, when i swapped my engine i thought fuck it ill get a proper map, similar to a unichip, gained the 14bhp and 5lb/ft over the superchip! well worth doing
broster
Premium Member

12th May 04 at 11:54   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

do they do the inlet manifolds for the new corsa 1.4's? if s othat the way to go, speak to velos
AK

12th May 04 at 11:55   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

i wouldnt bother with a chip till its really needed then.

A 2.5" exhaust sys, de-cat and a high flow exhaust manifold will push you above the 100bhp mark. But it would need a unichip (say £400) to map it properly. A superchip would just blindly UP the fuling across the rev range.
Corsa Wheels

12th May 04 at 12:01   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

What would an inlet manifold do? mines got a variable intake manifold, can modifying this give increases in power/performance?
miles

12th May 04 at 12:15   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

2.5" exhaust is too big.

I've not a clue about this engine tbh, but I agree, superchips are w@nk.

I doubt its even a chip, probably a download?
Patrick

12th May 04 at 12:19   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

As said forget the chip, concentrate more on a decent exhaust and manifold set-up. Agreed with Miles, 2.5" is a bit big for a n/a 1.4 that's more suited to turbocharged or higher capacity engines, 2.25" at the most.
broster
Premium Member

12th May 04 at 12:23   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

the bfo system from pvd is a good deal at the moment, and its 2.25" bore. the new inlet(if they do them for these engines which im pretty sure they do) will give about 15+bhp on these engines. well worth it
Corsa Wheels

12th May 04 at 12:28   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

tell me about inlets!! what exactly do i need to replace and how much would it cost me?
broster
Premium Member

12th May 04 at 12:32   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

look in my garage and greasemonkeys garage for indeas, think they are diferent for the twin port engines tho. basicaly costs about 500ish and makes the engine like a 16v pulls well
AK

12th May 04 at 12:32   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

inlet manifold......

where the air get sucked through, from the air filter, throttle body.

A re-designed, or simpler manifold will increase airflow.

New Poll