corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Help Zone, Modification and ICE Advice » Twin-engine setups...

New Poll
  <<  1    2  >> Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Twin-engine setups...
PaulW

User status: Offline
9th May 04 at 23:32   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I've got the offer of 2 LET's for 2k around christmas time (engine, box, looms & all)

Just wondering how the hell would I go about mating up both engines to run a twin-engine setup?? & how would I have to modify the rear of the car to take another LET... Is it just a case or replacing the rear suspension mounts with the front ones from another corsa & making some sort of frame to hold the engine??

Not sure I want to do twin-engine setup, but the cost of the engines makes it tempting...
Cybermonkey

9th May 04 at 23:38   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

hmmm tricky one, but you would need to look at the 2xLET nova from regal. That had calibra 4WD underpinnings for the rear engine and a very complicated clutch and drive system. Good luck with that! im sure others would be able to help more
LukeGSi

9th May 04 at 23:41   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I have no idea what would be involved but for that price you should look seriously into it Would be a jaw dropping car
PaulW

10th May 04 at 00:05   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Just been looking at bost-beast.de (twin engined nova) the way it looks like they sorted gear change out was crude yet effective... but the rear of the car has been seriously butchered!!! from what i can make out, there using the front end of a cav gsi in the rear of the nova...
LukeGSi

10th May 04 at 00:09   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

so will you be attempting it then??
PaulW

10th May 04 at 00:17   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

ill have to have words with my uncle, as he was going to help me out with chassis work & welding converting the corsa to 4WD...

this may be easier & cheaper...
LukeGSi

10th May 04 at 00:20   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

miles

10th May 04 at 07:23   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

The EDS Nova uses a Cav/Calibra Turbo front end in the back. IE, front suspension and brakes. You have to do that to attach the driveshafts. Im pretty sure that it has the same front suspension and brakes as well, making it 5 stud...

Its a major major job and if you have to ask you really shouldn't even think about it. Its a true engineering mission, and unless you can do it yourself without really worrying about the cost and work around the problems you'll get it will be a nightmare.

The gear linkages were apparently one of the hardest bits. You would also need to rebuild each engine to make sure they are both exact, producing the same power.

Getting the geometry right would also be a tit.

Good luck if you go for it. Would be interesting to see how you get on.
miles

10th May 04 at 07:24   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

2 Lets for £2k aint that cheap either really, you can get them for £1k each quite easily.....
Dinokid

10th May 04 at 09:50   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

twin enginened LET corsa in northwich 2 mins walk from mine, nice 1 paul!!! u know its got 2 b done
Daimo B

10th May 04 at 10:03   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Dinokid
twin enginened LET corsa in northwich 2 mins walk from mine, nice 1 paul!!! u know its got 2 b done

Pictures.

And as Miles said, if you need to ask (ESPECIALLY on here of all places) then i wouldn't even consider it.

Gearbox and selection linkages have to be perfect, engines have to be spot on together.

Adam_B

10th May 04 at 10:33   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Paul- go and see the guys at dubsport in wigan for some ideas. They have/had a twin engine golf. Think its j27 off the m6, just behind that big bp garage.
Adam_B

10th May 04 at 10:34   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Daimo B
quote:
Originally posted by Dinokid

Pictures.

And as Miles said, if you need to ask (ESPECIALLY on here of all places) then i wouldn't even consider it.

Gearbox and selection linkages have to be perfect, engines have to be spot on together.

he means that if paul does it there will be a twin enginened LET corsa in northwich 2 mins walk from him
M2RTY

10th May 04 at 10:43   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

40k they will charge u for a similar nova i read
PaulW

10th May 04 at 12:01   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Had a word with my uncle & emailed him progress pics of the twin LET'd nova... he says it looks fairly straight forward with the mounting of the engine & sorting the rear, even said it would be easier to do than replacing the rear floorplan & doing 4x4 with just one LET up front, but like miles says, gearlinkage will be a tit, I've been speaking to a bloke I know who's done a few kit-cars & also a fiesta which he put a 2ltr pinto engine in the back & says that was a fairly difficult job to get right once it was in.

I'll give dubsport a ring later on, also gona give golfnutz a call as I know someone there (they might know something also). Also emailed boost-beast.de aswell...

Uncle's comin round tomorrow have a look at the rear of the corsa & the underside see whats what & then were off to a scrappy at the weekend measuring up what smashed up cav's & callys we can find for the front chassis mounts & underpinnings...
BeArDy

10th May 04 at 13:27   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

you want to talk to Chip and Ste off Mig web mate, as Chip has a Mid engine Nova and Ste knows how to do the linkage useing proper vauxhall parts (VX200 )
i have close up pics of the linkage off the Nova as i was going to do twin engine (not as hard as u think) will dig them out

i sacked it off for a Hayabusa 0-60 in 3sec standard out of the box and for around 4k
BabyBlade

10th May 04 at 13:35   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Sounds awesome, Good luck dude
PaulW

10th May 04 at 16:26   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Beardy the pics will be great if you find them! I'll pop on mig in a bit, can't remember if I'm still registered on there or not, so will find out soon!

You sticking the Hayabusa engine in a corsa?? Sounds mad either way!
miles

11th May 04 at 14:16   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Cant see a Hayabusa engine being that great in a Corsa. Too much weight.

EDIT: He obviously means he bought a motorbike!

[Edited on 11-05-2004 by miles]
Ian
Site Administrator

11th May 04 at 17:44   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by miles
EDIT: He obviously means he bought a motorbike!

Yeah that took me a minute as well, to ride, not to strip

quote:
Originally posted by Daimo B
ESPECIALLY on here of all places
Its not MIG, get over it.
Dom

11th May 04 at 17:50   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

would be mint mate but in the long run, even after you've passed the gear linkage etc, your gonna have to maintain the engines to be spot on etc
Personally, i would stick withy the 4WD idea, since theres only one other 4WD corsa (and thats still being built i believe) and its alot easier to maintain, plus its 4WD
T5POL

11th May 04 at 18:06   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

That sounds pretty mad like. Should give Squint a phone at MJS performance. They have had a few twin engined fords & have built a rear engine, rear wheel drive 106 with an rst lump in for a customer.

Think they are on: 01473 212594
T5POL

11th May 04 at 18:07   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Good Luck BTW!
Ian
Site Administrator

11th May 04 at 18:08   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

There's probably a few kicking around the rally scene, I know of at least one with Scooby running gear and there was a guy on there building one although I don't know what on.

If you have room to store it as a long term project get it done!
PaulW

11th May 04 at 21:25   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

just back from the pub so a lil pissed atm

storage shouldn't be a problem hopefully, I've found to garage's I can store the car in & work on it, and also having a word with my grandad at building a big fook off shed in his backgarden (its the size of a football pitch) so eitherway will be fine.

tbh im more tempted now with the twin engine idea, saves having to cut up 2 cars to make one, so instead will be just butchering the 1! but yeah its gona be a ammmoth task!

<<  1    2  >>

New Poll