corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Help Zone, Modification and ICE Advice » How is this possible??

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author How is this possible??
Jill
Premium Member

User status: Offline
   7th May 04 at 10:57   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Right people say that a mono amp can't power two subs correct?

Well in that case HOW exactly is it so that people do. For example:
-The Rockford Fosgate Golf contains 2 1501bd amps, powering two dvc subs each, AND
-The ICE place I recently went to were powering two Diamond Audio M6 12D2s off a single 1200.1.

So can one of you resident ICE experts explain how this is possible please?

JILL
PainZ

7th May 04 at 11:18   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

you just wire them in series,

or is it the other one begining with a P?
DC

7th May 04 at 11:19   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

A mono amp can power more than 1 sub, simple as that.

Who ever has said otherwise is wrong.

Basically depending on wheather the subs u run r dvc or single vc, what ohm voice coils they hav and how many subs u power of ya mono amp and how they r wired wil depend at what ohms ya amp wil run.

Companuies offer subs with different ohm voicecoils so that u can get the most out of the amp u have.

For example i wil use the Rockford 1501bd as an example.

They r 2 ohm stable. If you wanted to run 2 subs u wud b best buying Dual 2 ohm voicecoil subs because it would mean wired in series you could show a 2 ohm load to the amp. However if for example u wanted 1 sub you would be best with a dual 4 ohm voicecoil version because wired in parallel you could also show the amp the 2 ohm load u would want.

Can get a bit complicated i admit, lol. But basically mono doesnt refer to 1 as in 1 sub it refers to a mono signal as in not full range for powerin mids and tweeters etc.

Ice companies offer a range of voicecoil subs so u can run the amp u hav at the desired impiedance (ohms).

If i didnt explain nething or was to complicated just say and wil try and make it more basic.

D

[Edited on 07-05-2004 by DC]
Jill
Premium Member

7th May 04 at 14:55   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Cheers guys- DC I understand!

JILL
cdcool1

7th May 04 at 15:12   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Mono doesnt refer to the range of frequencies the amp puts out, it refers to the number of channels
Jill
Premium Member

7th May 04 at 15:57   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

So it's definitely possible?

JILL
ed

7th May 04 at 16:59   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Yes, so long as you get a 2 ohm stable subs and monoblock, which can be run in series...
cdcool1

7th May 04 at 17:03   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

yes it is, just as DC said, you simply have to match impedances

if you have specific amp and subs in mind i can tell you if they're ok together
AdiSRI

7th May 04 at 18:16   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

of course its possible a 1500.1 cud power 15 100w rms subs if u cud get the loads right and wanted to....
peter_1.2

9th May 04 at 08:29   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

im runnin 4 subs off my monoblock amp
JayC

9th May 04 at 10:53   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I'm running two powerbase dual voicecoil subs of one MTX mono block.
Jill
Premium Member

9th May 04 at 12:38   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by AdiSRI
of course its possible a 1500.1 cud power 15 100w rms subs if u cud get the loads right and wanted to....

I don't think 15 subs would fit in my boot tho... hehe!

Cheers guys btw

JILL
Ian
Site Administrator

9th May 04 at 22:53   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

It is possible to run more than one sub from a mono amp - don't forget - it would be completely undesirable to have anything other than mono in this frequency range. You get the most punch and power from a unified movement, not fine detail and stereo separation which in the worst case could potentially cancel each other out.

The question of how many subs you run comes down to impedence of the subs and how much of this the amp can deliver. Some cheaper stuff will get all hot and bothered but the majority of amps designed for this purpose are built with this in mind and are suited to the job.

If you wire two identical subs in series, you half the impedence. If you wire them in parallel you double the impedence but its a waste of a sub - this arrangement makes no better use of the power output of an amp - each sub in this case just gets 50% of the power. This is waste of space in your boot!

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Help Zone, Modification and ICE Advice » How is this possible?? 23 database queries in 0.0122979 seconds