corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » any electricians/plumbers out there??

New Poll
  <<  1    2    3  >> Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author any electricians/plumbers out there??
sxi boy

User status: Offline
2nd May 04 at 23:20   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

not enjoying my uni course anymore, dont think its what i want to do, im thinking of doing an apprenticeship as either an electrician or a plumber as i hear these are the 2 trades to be in at the moment.

my friend's juust passed out of his apprenticeship as an electrician, he's 21 and earns £40k a year b4 overtime

just want to know if anyone has any experiences of these trades?

any advice much welcome
Rainesie

2nd May 04 at 23:24   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

my dads been an electrician for over 30 years. started his trade in the navy then went into the Vauxhall factory in Luton. Moved up to shift supervisor. Loadsa money.

[Edited on 02-05-2004 by Rainesie]
Colin

2nd May 04 at 23:25   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

How old are you???

Good money both working for someone or self employed. My mates a plumber and lives off the money he makes doing homers, his pay is all saved. £40k a year is possible and with alot of work alot more is possible.
sxi boy

2nd May 04 at 23:26   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

19 at the mo about to turn 20
DAYZEE

2nd May 04 at 23:28   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Be a plumber, having been electrocuted before I think I'd prefer to get splashed when something goes wrong.....
sxi boy

my m8s considering an apprenticeship in same trades as me at the mo and he's rang up about a few with sum companies and theyre only really bothered about age if ur under 23, or so he says
sxi boy

@ dayzee
Colin

2nd May 04 at 23:29   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by sxi boy

You can still get funding for an apprenticeship until you are 24

Go for it, fuck UNI only thing its gonna get you is £20k in debt before you start work
sxi boy

2nd May 04 at 23:31   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Colin J
quote:
Originally posted by sxi boy

You can still get funding for an apprenticeship until you are 24

Go for it, fuck UNI only thing its gonna get you is £20k in debt before you start work

nice one

uni is pissing me off, sick of working part time at asda for fuck all, sick of being skint, sick of living away from all my m8s back home
doge5644_uk

2nd May 04 at 23:40   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

go for plumbing, then move to corgi.

t'is what i did, lots and lots of cash to be made!

d0m
sxi boy

2nd May 04 at 23:42   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

think theres a big waiting list for plumbing at the min tho :S i'll have to see
Dean_H

2nd May 04 at 23:51   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Im an electrical/electronic apprentice for Bosch Cardiff. Ill be honest with you its shit money £8000 a year 1st year apprentice (me) but when im in my 4th year ill be on around £14k basic before shift allowance which could rise to £22k+.
And at the end of my 4th year in this apprenticeship ill have a list qualifications longer than my arm with no debt at all with 4 years work experience working with one of the best companies in the world.
At the moment im really enjoying my 1st year, im doing my ONC and other qualifications such as PVC wiring (handy around the house) etc etc NVQ 2 moving onto NVQ3 and HNC.

Only bad thing about it is most of my mates have pissed off to uni and dont get to see them much now as they are in swansea see them once a month and when they come back home!

If i was you mate if you have had enough of uni get out of there before you grow any more debt. I finnished my A levels with 2 B's and i didnt want to start life with a 20k debt so i chose what im doing now with some money under my belt ready to buy an house after i finnish my 4 year apprenticeship.
Hope you chose the right path!
Dean_H

2nd May 04 at 23:54   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

And with a bit of luck i can climb up the ladder at bosch. But ive heared the normal technicians down there are on £28k basic so £40k before tax is possible on shifts which isnt bad considering how cheap it is to live down here.,.... Well was!!! the price of houses have shot up 40% here so im fucked! £100,000 will buy you a decent 3 bedroom detatched house about 10 miles from work (20mins) which aint bad.
kerzo

3rd May 04 at 00:01   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

a plumber that is in my bar all the time had a turnover of over £750,000 last year with only 6 full time staff!

you can't lose with any trade, i just wish i would have dropped out after gcse's and done one
Dean_H

3rd May 04 at 00:12   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

^^^ yep

If it doesnt work out do you think i could get a decent office job etc etc with 2 a levels in IT and electronics both at grade B?

[Edited on 03-05-2004 by Welsh_SXi]
kerzo

3rd May 04 at 00:16   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

its basically just the right place at the right time

another fella i know had piss all education basically but just went from job to job and now is head of an importing company raking it in
Dean_H

3rd May 04 at 00:23   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I remember in one of my electronics lessons one of the mad boys who used to play up (funnyest kid ive ever met) told the teacher its not what you know its who you know, so i aint doing fuck all for you. And the teacher agreed with him. Wonder what hes doing now the nutter lol
kerzo

3rd May 04 at 00:24   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

he's probably lying out on the street somewhere hopefully!
wassup2002

3rd May 04 at 00:33   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Im 17, 18 on the 11th of this month. I left school in may 2002 with not very good GCSEs, i had C in science, d in english and maths and a couple of other things.

decided i wanted to go to college and study computers, so i got a job at a warehouse and started colllege in september, 3 weeks later it wasnt what i wanted to do. left college and stayed at the warehouse, then went from warehouse jobs, to tescos till worker, dominoes pizza , tk maxx.

Then i was a apprentice mechanic doing 59 hours a week for £100 and not being paid for doing the 2 hours i did saturday morning, which was basically cleaning, slave labour and all the other dirty jobs the other 2 lads didnt want to do.

I was then a tyre fitter and left cause i hated it, i then went into another apprentice mechanic. same again , i did a lotof mechanical work at this place but only if it was busy, id be mopping the floor,sweeping up leaves outside, emptying the bins and stuff, i hated it and left.

2 year on im sat here, wondering where my lifes going, ive got mine for things but i dont know what to do next, i may just get another warehouse job so i can save up my car insurance but otherwisei dont know, id like to drive for a job not like lorry driver, cars and vans etc

dont know what else i could do, would be nice to earn £30k a year , mostive earned is £120 a week
kerzo

3rd May 04 at 00:35   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

taxi driver
wassup2002

3rd May 04 at 00:41   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Dean_H

3rd May 04 at 00:56   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

wassup get your arse into gear find somthing you will enjoy in college and get some qualifications under your belt while holding a part time job down.

This is what i done when i was studing for my A levels, was on roughly £80 which was plenty enough to run my car, running costs for a girlfriend and to get pissed.

wassup2002

3rd May 04 at 05:25   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

maybe i should try doing a course at college in something like plumbing or electrician? or do they have to be apprenticeships?
MattyB

3rd May 04 at 09:48   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

My brother is a qualified electrician. He is 23 this year, but has been learning/training since he was 17. He used to work for a firm, but is now self employed.

To put it mildly.....he earns an absolute fortune. He does most of his work in the Islington/Camden/Hampstead areas (LOADED PPL), and charges £70 an hour.

He often works with my uncle, who is a plumber, and has been for bout last 15yrs. Again, £500k house and a £32k land cruiser speak for itself.

In all fairness tho, they both work Fcking hard for the money, and are on call 24hrs a day.

Matt
Phil321

3rd May 04 at 09:59   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

MattyB sums it up well.

A mate of mine is a plumber, good money if not spectacular but he works damn hard. Works all weekend, lot of evening work etc. It not exactly a Mon-Fri 9-5 and it can have a serious impact on your social life, not exactly something you want when you're young.

What course do you do at Uni and which Uni are you at? If you can, stick it out. At the end of the day its 3yrs of doing very little work and getting to go out every night and meet loads of new people. I graduate this year and know I am going to miss it. Hopefully the ££££££ will ease the pain

<<  1    2    3  >>

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » any electricians/plumbers out there?? 22 database queries in 0.1898551 seconds