corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » The changing face of cruising..

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author The changing face of cruising..
the_legend_of_yrag

User status: Offline
   2nd May 04 at 18:45   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Not so long ago, a crusier would of been someone with a stereo blaring out driving round and round a high street, or sea front...now, a cruiser is someone who lovingly modifies their car, to the most exacting standards, and dont partake in things like "lapping" but only attend events and shows..

We now are at the position where we have a definite line between a "boyracer" (probably fitting the OLD cruiser image) and a cruiser.

This is as a result of changing opinions, and good relations between ourselves, and the onlooking public..

Do we now fit into a new evolving category of...

Modified Car Enthusiasts???

Things are definitly improving, and its a slow process, but it has to be, no one can wave a magic wand and change generations worth of views in a weekend.

But isn't weird how fashions, trends, and opinions change...

Are blaring stereos now passe?

Is lapping now "silly"...

Are we now Modified Car Enthusiasts???

Please Discuss.
Jambo

2nd May 04 at 18:47   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Agreed allthough someone please tell "lyrical G" and his "posse" that "lapping" is ghey.

R Lee

2nd May 04 at 18:49   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

what am i?
what are you?

i can't define...
CorsAsh

2nd May 04 at 18:54   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by the_legend_of_yrag
We now are at the position where we have a definite line between a "boyracer" (probably fitting the OLD cruiser image) and a cruiser.

Agreed. This line is defined by those who wear burberry caps and those who don't.

The whole thing now is more about quality, and theres also as much demand for subtlety as anything lairy. Its not so much about which chav can weld the largest Heinz Baked Bean catering size tin to his exhaust, as who can achieve the nicest looks, sound and quality of installation. Exhausts are just an example, it applies to other elements too...

That's my opinion anyway.
DAYZEE

2nd May 04 at 19:01   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by the_legend_of_yrag
Not so long ago, a crusier would of been someone with a stereo blaring out driving round and round a high street, or sea front...now, a cruiser is someone who lovingly modifies their car, to the most exacting standards, and dont partake in things like "lapping" but only attend events and shows..

No, 95% of all arseholes with modified cars have blaring stereos and drive around looking for trouble. This hasn't changed and doubtfully ever will, you simply mature to a level where you mix with a different group of people that occupy the other 5%....
Cruisers are still tosspieces that seem to be out to make the law hate young people with cars even more. End of.
dave17

2nd May 04 at 19:02   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

u can have a blaring stereo but not be a 'boy racer;. does that make missy elliot a 'boy racer' ?
R Lee

2nd May 04 at 19:03   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

can you define cruising then? or going to a cruise?
Trotty

2nd May 04 at 19:04   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

In all fairness I think there's always been this defination, and always will be - the difference IMO is that (some) people are maturing a touch and realising how daft the stereotypical 'cruiser' image is...

You only need to look at the popularity of Max Power, et al to see the market thats around - while that kind of thing makes me want to vomit, the sales figures alone show how many people are being 'influenced' by that sort of mad, OTT style. These are the numptys doing their laps, stereos loud as hell, etc because 'dey reckn its cool innit'

No doubt if MP, etc showed lots of subtle stuff the same sheep would be following that route too. Simple answer is, at the end of the day you should be doing things that you want to do to your, not what you think the general public want to see, not whats touted as 'trick' by MP or anyone else. People always say its about individuality - it's about time more people put a bit of thought into that.
Paul_J

2nd May 04 at 19:19   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

The scary thing is the term 'cruising' is actually reference to gays or something.

I was talking to someone old a while ago and said 'I went cruising the other day' he was like eh? - I went 'you knew... modified cars, big cruise in a car park' - He was like 'thought cruising was what gay people did as 'cruisers'' -

I will now be careful whenever I say 'I went cruising' to anyone lol - 'Car Cruise' is the term I'll use from now on

[Edited on 02-05-2004 by Paul_J]
the_legend_of_yrag

2nd May 04 at 19:23   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Paul_J
The scary thing is the term 'cruising' is actually reference to gays or something.

I was talking to someone old a while ago and said 'I went cruising the other day' he was like eh? - I went 'you knew... modified cars, big cruise in a car park' - He was like 'thought cruising was what gay people did as 'cruisers'' -

I will now be careful whenever I say 'I went cruising' to anyone lol - 'Car Cruise' is the term I'll use from now on

[Edited on 02-05-2004 by Paul_J]

I tend to use the term 'car meet' myself, as i dont 'cruise' around i meet other people and look at there cars.
Paul_J

2nd May 04 at 19:27   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

imo Car Meets tends to be tame... A corsa Meet is where everyone stands and talks... You could not call a cruise like southend a car meet as its all about the atmosphere.

Having people cruising the strip up and down, the occasional burn out on the strip and the whole atmosphere at a cruise is what makes them good to go to. Imo.

I personally wouldn't burn out my car or anything, but if it's happening in the distance it just adds to it... Some cruises can feel 'dead' when no one is driving about at all.

It's when people start doing burnouts + donuts etc at 'Car Meets' that I get annoyed
Ben
Banned

2nd May 04 at 19:30   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

do what you want . let people think what they want ,who cares
the_legend_of_yrag

2nd May 04 at 19:32   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Paul_J
imo Car Meets tends to be tame... A corsa Meet is where everyone stands and talks... You could not call a cruise like southend a car meet as its all about the atmosphere.

Having people cruising the strip up and down, the occasional burn out on the strip and the whole atmosphere at a cruise is what makes them good to go to. Imo.

I personally wouldn't burn out my car or anything, but if it's happening in the distance it just adds to it... Some cruises can feel 'dead' when no one is driving about at all.

It's when people start doing burnouts + donuts etc at 'Car Meets' that I get annoyed

Very true i guess.

And it's the people who cruise around within the speed limit and the ones who race around like lunatics that make the divide i guess.
starkmotorsport

2nd May 04 at 19:57   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Car moddfying is when you actually do things yourself, take standard or foreign parts and change them to suit your imagination/idea or change/adapt engine parts. The old CCC magazine illustrated this quite well.

Boy racers are the bodykit generation, sticking OTT things on as they are often attention seeking rather than doing it for the love of the car.

You get grey areas for both, but the proper moddifiers are often the ones late at night, dirty from tinkering all day and the boy racers are busy showing off to the young girls coming out of school in the cars that someone else has built for them. But as I say, there are grey areas for both.

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » The changing face of cruising.. 22 database queries in 0.0122859 seconds