corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Help Zone, Modification and ICE Advice » who's done their own tints and how did it turn out?

New Poll
  <<  1    2  >> Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author who's done their own tints and how did it turn out?
corsa starter

User status: Offline
29th Apr 04 at 21:31   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

and how did it turn out?
LukeGSi

29th Apr 04 at 21:34   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Never done it but seen many DIY tints and every single one looks totally wank
Trucido

29th Apr 04 at 21:41   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

yea ive seen quite a few come into work...most of them are peeling off, have air bubbles in them, arent the right size etc
corsa starter

29th Apr 04 at 21:42   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

how much it cost to have it done propper... thing is will n e one do the front 2 now cos of new laws?
Black Corsa SRi

29th Apr 04 at 21:59   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by corsa starter
thing is will n e one do the front 2 now cos of new laws?

dunno but i wouldn't do it anyway unless your car a show car or whatever cause u'll get pulled for it by police in no time and they'd prob make u change the screen for a non tinted one again anyway

[Edited on 29-04-2004 by Black Corsa SRi]
corsa starter

29th Apr 04 at 22:00   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

dont mean windscreen... just front side wondows... i can say i had it done b4 the law change surely?
Black Corsa SRi

29th Apr 04 at 22:07   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

see what u mean sorry misread, er dunno how u'd stand wit that i no expert but dont see how they can make people change it if they had it done b4 a change in laws, suppose they'd just ask u to prove it was done b4 the change. not really sure though tbh
corsa starter

29th Apr 04 at 22:11   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

i run home and make a recipt
John

29th Apr 04 at 22:12   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I tried it on my c. Back 2 sides r easy. Back is impossible without doin it in strips or heat shrinking, neither particularly easy. Front 2 sides very awkward. Not worth it as i found out. Save the money and get it done properly.
corsa starter

29th Apr 04 at 22:21   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

yeh think i will
5doormodder

29th Apr 04 at 22:29   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I did my own tints and turned out a pro job, perfect in every way no bubble atall and didnt peel anywhere. It all depends on what sort of tint you get.

Heres a few steps to how i got a good result:

you will need:

* Sprey bottle filled with warm soapy water
* Window tint squeeger - to squeeze out the water from behind the tint and smooth it all out
* sissors
* maybe a sharp stanley knife
* paper
* pen
* heat gun
* towel
* some spare time and PATIENCE - (they key to tinting)

1) I made templates out of paper, from the inside of the car windows, not from the outiside, if you do it from the outside you wont get an acurate template. I then placed the template onto the tint and cut around it, simply flip the template the other way and cut again for the other side... Why pay loads of money for pre cut tints, when it takes a couple of mins to cut your own?? - Remember if you are doing window which wind up/down to get the template to cover the parts of the window that are not visable, i.e if you tint the window when its up, remember that there is about an inch of it stuck into the top of the door !

2) Offer the tint upto the window to make sure it will fit it okay and clear the whole window without needing trimming, if it does, trim it now, its easier to trim the tint at this point, rather than when its half stuck down and sliding about!

3) fill a sprey sprey bottle with warm soapy water, not too soapy though because the tint wont stick properly if you use too much soap, i use a couple of squirts of fairy liquid and shake it into the water.

4) Use 2 peices of cellotape to peel back the tint, put them facing each other in a corner of the tint and then seperate the tape, this should seperate the tint from the clear backing. you now need to remove the tape without creasing the tinted side.

You will also need a credit card, or a window squeezer to apply the tint, you usually get one with the window tint kits, but if you dont a credit card would do. but be careful not to scratch the tint.

5) If the window you are tinting has electrical parts, before you sprey it with water its a good idea to place a cloth on the door card to soak up any water.

6) Clean the window you are tinting very well, make sure there are no marks, grease, hairs, dirts etc that will mess up the job. When its clean, Sprey a generous amount of the soapy warm water onto the window you are tintingpeel back the tint about 1/3rd of the way, be carful not to let it fold back on itself, because if it does theres no way you will beable to seperate it!

7) Place the tint, stick side onto the window, it should feel very slippy and slidy if you used the correct amount of soapy water, get the tint into the right position, you should beable to just slide it into position. When in place, use your squeeger (or credit card) to squeeze out the water from behind the tint, this should hold that part in place pretty firmly, but keep hold of it inacse. With the other hand, peel the remaining backing off the tint, and hold in place, again be very carful not to let the tint fold back on itself.

8) With the tint in place, covering all the window. Use the squeeger to remove all the remaining water from behind the tint. Its best to start in the middle and work your way to the edges. This takes a while to do, and sometimes you find that in certin places, the tint wont stick properly. This is where the heat gun comes in handy. It shrinks the tint and makes it take the shape of your window better. But be very very carful not to 'burn or melt the tint' its probaby better to use a hairdryer on a hot setting than a propper heat gun, if you do use a heat gun, have it on a low setting.

9) You should end up (with work time and patience) a quality job. If the window you are doing had an adge (ie winds down) its a good idea to seal the edge with some clear nail varnish. This will stop water and moisture from getting behind the tint and destroying it.

Rear windows, they are a pain, i would leave them to the pro tinters, lol. One way to do it is to cut the tint into three strips and place them inline with the rear heated window lines, this way when its in place, you wont even beable to tell its seperate sheets!

I cant beleive i sat and typed all that, I hope it makes some sence, if I had some pictures to go with it i reccon it should go in the tutorials section, thats if there isnt already a section on tinting windows?

5doormodder

29th Apr 04 at 22:30   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Jesus, thats alot of writing, Do i get a medal ?
corsa starter

29th Apr 04 at 22:40   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

no im gonna get it done by a pro

i aint ballsy enuff to risk the money
5doormodder

29th Apr 04 at 22:54   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

what 9.99 for a roll of tint ?
corsa starter

29th Apr 04 at 22:55   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

hmmm... ill cock it up mate trust me
5doormodder

29th Apr 04 at 22:55   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

or 150 -200 notes for a pro job - id rather risk a tenner before i folk out upto 200

[Edited on 18-05-02 by 5doormodder]
Colin.S

29th Apr 04 at 23:01   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

With this new law about the police being able to make you take the tints out of the front windows could you not just let the windows down and say i'll drive with them down till i get home? Or say hold on while i get my tool kit from the boot, i'll take the windows out?
corsa starter

29th Apr 04 at 23:05   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

i dont think they can make ya take em out???
Colin.S

29th Apr 04 at 23:08   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Apparently they can in Essex, they have the equipment to test them.
5doormodder

29th Apr 04 at 23:09   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

they wont beable to make you take the tint off there ant then mate, no way. They will give you a defect note and you will have a week to get the note stamped by a garage to confirm that the tints have been taken off. - No way can they sit there and make you take the tint off your window there and then
Colin.S

29th Apr 04 at 23:16   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Fair enough mate, i was just going on what i was told by MSG in Essex.
Either way the tints would have to come out.
5doormodder

29th Apr 04 at 23:18   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Yeah, I can imagine ome coppers trying to make you peel off the tint there and then, but i would tell him to fuck off. Id say it was put on professionaly, so it has to be taken off profesionaly.
corsa starter

29th Apr 04 at 23:23   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

hmmm... puts my tinting plans on hold imo look stupid with only half a car tinted
bazgooch

29th Apr 04 at 23:27   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by 5doormodder
Yeah, I can imagine ome coppers trying to make you peel off the tint there and then, but i would tell him to fuck off. Id say it was put on professionaly, so it has to be taken off profesionaly.

Me bro had a manhousively gash sun strip on, got pulled an had to peel the fucker off....

surely they cant expect ya to peel tints off.... it'd be like your pulled on thursday, 5 hours later they'll let ya go home wiv loadsa sticky shite on ya windows

Colin.S

29th Apr 04 at 23:33   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

baz

I think they are just trying to make a point in Essex. I wouldn't worry about it, i've just had mine done 2 weeks ago

<<  1    2  >>

New Poll