corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Help Zone, Modification and ICE Advice » painting mdf

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author painting mdf
Pop

User status: Offline
   24th Apr 04 at 03:35   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

hey everyone ...

i have my install planned where everythings going to go and it's going to be made of mdf and carpeted cos i'm fairly handy with stuff like this.

... the plan though is to have the same rage paint as the car around the subs in a pattern and the rest carpeted. would the mdf have to be primered or would the paint just spray straight on?!?! ... i have no idea what needs to be done for this

thanks
tim
combatprojex

24th Apr 04 at 09:36   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

you can spray on to MDF but i would imagine u wouldnt get a shiny finish because the MDF would absorb the paint.... i would prime it then spray it...

neoquip

24th Apr 04 at 15:26   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

is the Rage paint cellulos? (speeling)
if so you need to prime the MDF with cellulos too.... as any other primer/paint under the Cellulos will softern up one you apply the Rage paint.

If the rage paint is water base etc... you would be ok.

But as said before.. MDF will sock up paint like a sponge. so many coats needed to built it to a good base for painting.

also remmeber.. many thinner coats of paint are a lot betterthan trying to get it to cover with one thick coat of paint.
I know it takes time but its worth it.
Pop

24th Apr 04 at 17:38   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

thanks for the replies ...

the idea is to have a flame effect around and above each of the 2 audiobahn subs i'm thinking of getting ...

... i'm gonna go ask at the bodyshop cos i want them to spray all the interior plastic with the paint too ... do u think 1 litre of the paint will be sufficient for this?
LScorsa

24th Apr 04 at 18:01   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

U can get special primer for mdf because as said before its porous and u wont get decent finish if u paint straight onto it.
ed

5th Oct 04 at 17:43   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Bringing back an oldie to help people out... You need to water down some PVA glue and seal the MDF nicely by putting on a few coats, then use some high build primer on it to smooth out any imperfections
modded_corsa

5th Oct 04 at 19:18   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

why not rough up the mdf a bit...and give it a quick skim of bodyfiller......thn smooth it out.....and prime it as u wud a car
ed

6th Oct 04 at 00:39   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Cos thats a hell of a lot of effort in my book? Painting it with watered down PVA would be best.... You don't have to use high build primer, but you may find that the boards need a good thick coat of paint to make them look more 'solid' and to smooth them off ready for the colour.

New Poll