corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » Getting out of broadband contracts

New Poll
  <<  1    2  >> Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Getting out of broadband contracts
drunkenfool

User status: Offline
1st Mar 04 at 23:31   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Ive been with tiscal about 3 months, all was fine at first but about 3 weeks ago, download speeds started to deteriorate down to my most recent bandwidth test revealing a speed of 4.5kbits/s (about 1/10 of modem speed!) No reply to emails, i have tried calling the help desk 14 times today but no answer. and after browsing the forums, i know im not the only one with similar problems. Anyone had any experience with cancelling a contract? Could i just cancel my direct debit, as they are in breach of their contract?
stuyw

1st Mar 04 at 23:32   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

its worth a go as they are not supplying u with wot u are paying u for
kerzo

1st Mar 04 at 23:33   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

as far as i know they all charge a cancellation fee
PaulW

1st Mar 04 at 23:40   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

plus if your bound to a 12 months contract, you have no choice but to pay the remainder of the contract + any other fee's
drunkenfool

1st Mar 04 at 23:46   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

even if they aren't delivering the service that i am paying for? Could i contact trading standards or anything?
Tim
Site Administrator

1st Mar 04 at 23:51   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Only way I ever got out of a broadband contract was by 'moving house' to an area 'they did not provide service for'... but this was cable, so area matters...

Is it really a 12 month contract? Thought most ADSL providers were 3 month or 1 month contracts nowadays?
myke

1st Mar 04 at 23:52   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

i would guess citizens advice bureau would be a good start.
Nismo

1st Mar 04 at 23:53   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Tim
Only way I ever got out of a broadband contract was by 'moving house' to an area 'they did not provide service for'... but this was cable, so area matters...

Is it really a 12 month contract? Thought most ADSL providers were 3 month or 1 month contracts nowadays?

yes Nildram is 1 month contrat sort of thing.
stuyw

1st Mar 04 at 23:56   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

i work for blueyonder and ours is 12 month contract
drunkenfool

1st Mar 04 at 23:57   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

almost certain it is a 12 month contract. i was thinking about going with bulldog 2mb offpeak thing for less than £30 a month, and if thats crap, at least its only a 1 month contract! Only reason i went with tiscali is cos someone off these boards works with them, and told me i could have a 2mb connection for price of 512.
PaulW

2nd Mar 04 at 00:01   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

stuyw, care to do me a good deal on a better broadband pack?? lookin at 1mb

problem is, I'm already with a poooo ISP!
Andy

2nd Mar 04 at 00:06   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by PaulW
plus if your bound to a 12 months contract, you have no choice but to pay the remainder of the contract + any other fee's

Not true - a contract in law is between two parties and both are obliged to fulfill the terms agreed to.

Drunken - make a note of all the times they've failed to live up to their obligations (ie broadband been running shite) and what was wrong. Then write to them either asking for compensation for the bad service and a guarantee that it will be as described in their advertising from hereon. Point out that if you don't receive this compensation within 7 days, you will consider them in breach of their contract and terminate your standing order immediately. Tell them also that you will be making an official complaint to the trading standards office, for misdescription under the 1992 Sale of Goods and Services act. They won't have a leg to stand on

[Edited on 02-03-2004 by Andy]
PaulW

2nd Mar 04 at 00:08   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

yes but with ADSL there is no set 'speed' at which they must supply a rate, most contracts say that speed of connection can vary on other factors out of the control of the ISP, so they will have a way out of it themselves, but still be able to stuff it up peoples arses to get money out of them!
Dan B

2nd Mar 04 at 00:09   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

drunkenfool, judging by experience from the Tiscali forums on ADSL Guide (clicky thing), you'll need to get Oftel involved to finish the contract.

Some addresses to write to to cancel the service (not sure how much use they'll be):

Tiscali Customer Support
PO Box 7206
Milton Keynes
MK14 6XG

OR

Tiscali Ltd
Broadband Cancellations
PO Box 7206
Keld Farm (think it was Keld or Kelm)
Milton Keynes
MK14 6XG

Also by email: broadbandcancellations@uk.tiscali.com

If you're going to get Oftel involved, keep a record of EVERY communication with Tiscali since you decided to cancel (that's phone, even (ESPECIALLY, actually) if you didn't get through, email, fax, letter, and so on).
Dan B

2nd Mar 04 at 00:13   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

To find a good replacement, try comparing ISPs on the following site (rated by Speed, Reliability, and Customer Service):

http://www.adslguide.org.uk/isps/compare.asp

Oh, and on a completely unbiased note (honest! ), can I just point out that the ISP I work for (Zen Internet) achieved the highest average speed-test results during February:

http://www.adslguide.org.uk/newsarchive.asp?item=1567

Just thought I'd mention that!
AdiSRI

2nd Mar 04 at 00:15   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

its funny as both me and my dad (at seperate houses) have tiscali 512k broadband and its been perfect.
Had mine for a month, me dads had his for 11 months thus y i got it.
Drew
Banned

2nd Mar 04 at 00:20   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

think marc is on that - and i tried to send him a file and took ages - then died, and he said his net had been shite last few days

sure he said same company
AdiSRI

2nd Mar 04 at 00:21   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

as i say im on it now and its spot on?? maybe its certain exchanges with trouble not tiscali at all??
drunkenfool

2nd Mar 04 at 00:22   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

how much do you use the service? Apparently they ahve a list of heavy users, and they put them all on one server to fight between themselves over the avaiable bandwidth. The worst thing is, a heavy user is someone downloading 100-600mb a day. 100mb a day on broadband is less than 30 mins use of the service! Fair enough some companies having 150GB a month cap on the cheaper services, but 100mb a day is laughable! Thanks for the advice guys, ill see if i can sort it out tomorrow.
drunkenfool

2nd Mar 04 at 00:23   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

i was downloading a video earlier at 0.2kB/s, just got so fed up i cancelled it.
Dan B

2nd Mar 04 at 00:32   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Although it's a little slower than usual, look what speed you could get if you change ISPs!

Dan B

2nd Mar 04 at 00:34   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by AdiSRI
as i say im on it now and its spot on?? maybe its certain exchanges with trouble not tiscali at all??

Judging by the forums linked below, I'd be tempted to think it's an ISP-problem and not a single exchange problem:

http://bbs.adslguide.org.uk/postlist.php?Cat=&Board=unhappiness
http://bbs.adslguide.org.uk/postlist.php?Cat=&Board=tiscali
AdiSRI

2nd Mar 04 at 01:22   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

well i use it all day every day basically never goes off and ive not had any trouble at all. Not saying you aint m8, just giving u my experience of tiscali (and no, i nor anyone i know works for them LOL) which has been good. I get 50-60kb download most of the time, but depends o servers at the other end too.
Tim
Site Administrator

2nd Mar 04 at 02:35   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by stuyw
i work for blueyonder and ours is 12 month contract

Yup, I'm with BY Cracking service tbh...
Rob Withey

2nd Mar 04 at 08:01   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Dan B
Although it's a little slower than usual, look what speed you could get if you change ISPs!

That's a crazy test. I'm on 56k dialup and getting over 60 KB/sec with that file (work that one out). That fact that it is all zeros means that the hardware compression of the modem does amazing things with it.

Try the non zero file in the same directory for a more realistic answer.

<<  1    2  >>

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » Getting out of broadband contracts 22 database queries in 0.1093030 seconds