corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » Geek Day » FAO: Anyone with Good Computer Knowlege (and XP) Help! :(

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author FAO: Anyone with Good Computer Knowlege (and XP) Help! :(
Bart

User status: Offline
27th Feb 04 at 12:50   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I was recently playing around on a friends PC which has WinXP, what i was going to do was replace the winxp bootup pic with another.. non-standard image.
I followed instructions, when altering the boot.ini, but instead of copying and pasting a line i altered the line (big mistake!). i backed up the old boot.ini file on the root dir (C and called it bootold.ini and the new altered ini is obviously boot.ini
now, when i start the computer i starts to load up, but then restarts, and does nothing but this
as XP doesnt have DOS im unable to simply rename the backed up boot.ini and delete the new 1.
I have made a 6diskette Win XP boot disk, but im not sure what im doing with it.
I tried starting the pc in "Safemode with command prompt", but restarts when it gets to MUP.sys (i think).

Unfortunatly none of the data has been backed up, and i really really need it back.

If anyone can shed any light on what i can do, please help me im gonna be looking at it later.

Adam
M2RTY

27th Feb 04 at 12:52   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

tbh i dont think its the end of the world

if worst comes to worst reinstall xp, it shouldnt delete any of your docs, mine didnt anyway
Bart

27th Feb 04 at 12:57   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

you mean just do an overlay install?

are you 100% sure it wont delete the "My documents" folder?
Adam-CorsaC18s

27th Feb 04 at 13:00   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

It wont do mate, and it'll keep all of your program settings. (Load XP CD an doa repair!)
ssj_kakarot

27th Feb 04 at 13:03   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

yeah no biggy u can just put the cd in the drive windows xp one that is and there is an option to repair a windows instalation that will do it for u, or if u go into the recovery console from the xp boot screen after the comp boots from the disk u can just fix the boot cfg file, forget the command to do it though something like "fix boot" or something just type help and press enter from the command console will bring all the option up, but if u aint really familliar with dos just use the repair option i first said, no files will be deleted ya safe there.

er if its a copied windows xp cd it may not boot from the cd but u can download the xp boot disks off the microsoft website they will work

hope that helps, and wasnt totally confusing
Adam-CorsaC18s

27th Feb 04 at 13:04   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

*and do a* not "an doa"
ssj_kakarot

27th Feb 04 at 13:05   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

ow i see u already have the boot disks i should read the full post before i answer really
Nismo

27th Feb 04 at 13:12   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Bart
I was recently playing around on a friends PC

you got to laugh mate

it aint yours dont worry
jamesw

27th Feb 04 at 13:33   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

boot of xp cd till it asks to press r to enter recovery console, when in concole simply type copy c:\bootold.ini c:\boot.ini and then restart.

JW
Bart

27th Feb 04 at 13:45   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

cheers guys! that gets me out the sh1t!

i also found this:
This behavior can occur if any or some of the following conditions are true:

1. The default value in the [Boot Loader] section of the Boot.ini file is missing or invalid.
2. WiinXP is not installed in the location specified in the Boot.ini file.
3. The Ntoskrnl.exe file is missing or damaged.
4. The partition path in the Boot.ini file is not set correctly.
5. A general hardware failure.

To resolve this issue, use one of the following methods:

Method 1

Edit the Boot.ini file to restore or correct the default entry and to ensure that the other entries in the [Operating Systems] section of the Boot.ini file point to the appropriate directories. Se MS Q289022; HOW TO: Edit the Boot.ini file in WinXP. Your Boot.in file should look something like:

[boot loader]
timeout=30
default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS
[operating systems]
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Professional" /fastdetect

Method 2

Use the boocfg utility in the Recovery Console to correct the Boot.ini file.
1. Start your computer with the WinXP CD.
2. When you receive the message to press R to repair Windows, by using the Recovery Console, press the R key.
3. Select the Windows installation you want, and then type the administrator password, if you have established one. Otherwise press Enter.
4. Type bootcfg /rebuild, and press Enter.

When the Windows installation is located, the following instructions are displayed:

Add installation to boot list? (Yes/No/All).
Type Y in response to this message.

Enter Load Identifier: This is the name of the operating system. Type Window XP Professional or Windows XP home Edition. (See above example)

After WinXP has successfully loaded, the Boot.ini can be modified to remove the incorrect entry.

Method 3

1. Start your computer with the WinXP CD Migrate to the Recovery Console as described above and your installation (usually number 1)
2. Log into the administrator account by typing the password for this account. (Remember that if you have not previously established a password, you simply hit Enter
3. Type expand cd-rom:\i386\ntoskrnl.ex_ X: \Windows\system32\ntoskrnl.exe

CD-rom is the drive letter of you CD-ROM drive, and X is the drive letter of the hard disk on which WinXP is installed.
If you receive a prompt to overwrite the file, press Y
Type exit, and press Enter at the command prompt.

but i will try Jamesw method first as this seem simple to me.

Cheers pps

New Poll