corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » Anyone work with CNC machines or similiar?

New Poll
  <<  1    2  >> Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Anyone work with CNC machines or similiar?
PaulW

User status: Offline
26th Feb 04 at 21:41   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Just wondering on rough costs of getting something made up out of a piece of copper? Will be around 4cm x 5cm or there abouts... Already done a rough design of what I want

[Edited on 28-02-2004 by PaulW]
3CorsaMeal

26th Feb 04 at 21:50   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

what be that?
PaulW

26th Feb 04 at 21:53   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

custom cpu waterblock
BabyBlade

26th Feb 04 at 21:55   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

we do cnc machinign but nothing like that, that would take ages to program...
James@CCC

26th Feb 04 at 21:55   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

how big is it?
Adam

26th Feb 04 at 22:02   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

We have a lab at work that lazercuts aluminium, can ask tomorrow if you want
Paul_J

26th Feb 04 at 22:04   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

My dad's business uses a CNC machine I think for some of their stuff, but as seth said... would take ages to program in and would not be cost effective at all.

My dad's business tends to get something that needs to be made, prototype it and then mass produce it - hence making the designing, testing, prototyping (and programming) all cost effective - as once its programmed many can be made.
PaulW

26th Feb 04 at 22:08   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

aye the programming can be a bitch, we have something similiar to a cnc machine at work, but its just for working with light woods and with it bein a school they use simple-style stuff like 2d desktop & pro desktop to work with the machine & do the designs on

the thickness of the copper though at best would be around 5-7mm, and where the cutouts are would leave around 1mm base plate (so it will still be sealed)
langey

26th Feb 04 at 22:19   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

i do cnc work

would take ages, to program so depending on how long it took to do that, depends how much it would cost.

what size would the grooves be? if its too thin it will be solid to do.
Drew
Banned

26th Feb 04 at 22:21   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

for a 1 off - your looking at a fortune just to set up the machine - im meaning like 60-70 quid of not more

then the work itself
BabyBlade

26th Feb 04 at 22:23   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

another way is to draw it in cad??

ive seen it before where you can draw what you want machined in a special package, thinking about it it aint autocad, but it is similar, and then it works out the programming and sends it to the cnc machine

the package needs to know stuff like material being cut, size of tool, material of ool eg carbide, hss, etc but it wud save a lot of time.....
langey

26th Feb 04 at 22:35   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

does it have to be so detailed??

best you can do is phone round a few companys. but most will turn you away unless they are desprate fro work, coz its just no worth it.
DAYZEE

26th Feb 04 at 22:45   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I've just read your thread on bit-tech, how far are you going to push the chip that you feel you need what looks like a car heater matrix to cool it down?? You know you can buy a water cooling kit for £100. Trust me, it WILL be better than the one you are building.
So, what chip and what speed you want it to run at????
PaulW

26th Feb 04 at 23:11   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

the £100 watercooling kits are not that good, if anything, they perform worse than standard air coolers! your looking at £250+ for a decent setup

the block design above should perform as good as, if not better, than the RBX, wildwater & similiar blocks.

The chip will be a 3200+ XP running at around 2.6-2.7ghz+ if possible (as standard, they run at 2.2ghz)

btw the horizontal(sp) slats are 1mm in width (so quite hard to do)
thekemp

26th Feb 04 at 23:28   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

just get a vapochill and be done with it. If you really wanted to do it, learn autocad, design it yourself and then get your design done by a uni or collage with CNC (warrington collegete have them) ie: write to them offering there autocad/ cnc students a competition etc
Drew
Banned

26th Feb 04 at 23:30   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

can i ask - wot are u planning to do with the pc when its running?

you wanting to be NASA control centre or something
PaulW

26th Feb 04 at 23:43   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I have designed the above myself and I can export it to autocad no problems!

Drew - will be doing quite alot of 3d work, programming, video editing, and gaming!

Plus I wanted something a bit different so is why I'm trying to sort all this out!
wolfie

26th Feb 04 at 23:51   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

i would say cos of the fine detail i would get it photo etched, for the detail, but if you go to prob 2 or 3mm gap, then you could mill it, easy to program, but its just the small gaps that would be the problem
DAYZEE

27th Feb 04 at 02:47   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by PaulW
the £100 watercooling kits are not that good, if anything, they perform worse than standard air coolers! your looking at £250+ for a decent setup

the block design above should perform as good as, if not better, than the RBX, wildwater & similiar blocks.

The chip will be a 3200+ XP running at around 2.6-2.7ghz+ if possible (as standard, they run at 2.2ghz)

All I can say is good luck...
I hope you have the cash to replace the fried chip or the failed rad which turns the PC into a swimming pool, personally I wouldn't put a 10 year old rad into mine.
I think I'd take the cheap well developed mass produced £100 water cooling kit over the Corsa/B&Q homebuild.
PaulW

28th Feb 04 at 23:00   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by DAYZEE
quote:
Originally posted by PaulW

All I can say is good luck...
I hope you have the cash to replace the fried chip or the failed rad which turns the PC into a swimming pool, personally I wouldn't put a 10 year old rad into mine.
I think I'd take the cheap well developed mass produced £100 water cooling kit over the Corsa/B&Q homebuild.

cheap, well developed, mass produced....

Saxo springs to mind there!

TBH I'm after something different, I done some working out & a bit of maths, altered the design now to reduce any restrictions & keep flow to a maximum. Also measured it up against the AMD specs of the chip & also changed the thickness of the copper used.

Less copper = less heat trapped & more heat transfered into the water = better cooling!

Better than some big lump of copper stuck there, will also be lighter too!
Paul_J

29th Feb 04 at 01:29   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

My advice would be - check your maths a bit more and if your sure this will work - find some others who may want one...

The only way its not gonna cost a fortune is if you make several.

Most manufacturing companies don't charge like 60 quid for 1, 120 quid for 2, 180 for 3 etc...

It's usually minimum charge is X - then however many times a certain cost (including material costs) then labour.

minimum charge includes setting up etc.

- if for example you found 10 people who wanted to buy one off you, you could get them developed then split the total cost by 10 and it'll most likely work out cheaper than just getting 1 made up for yourself.

but I'd ring around, you may find someone who will do it for you - but don't expect it to be very cost effective for 1.
ed

29th Feb 04 at 01:32   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I do CNC machining.. If you sned me the dimensions I can machine it for you. It would cost a bit cos that would take a while to draw up perfect in ProEnginer before I could machine it...
ed

29th Feb 04 at 01:34   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

But it wouldn't be more than say £100 I don't think... Most of the labour would be in actually creating the drawing of the part, the CNCing is well cheap as that would be made from a piece of copper...

[Edited on 29-02-2004 by 1800ed]
ed

29th Feb 04 at 01:41   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Oh yea... something like that wouldn't take too long for me to draw either... I wouldn't program it (So it wouldnt take a long time to program). Cos I use Pro Engineer/Desktop (depending on the design)...
infinitycorsa

29th Feb 04 at 03:10   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I work on cnc machines in tehr tooling indusrty programing them and them and makining sure N.C prorams runn

<<  1    2  >>

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » Anyone work with CNC machines or similiar? 22 database queries in 0.0202911 seconds