corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » uni presentation....

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author uni presentation....
CorsaLad

User status: Offline
   21st Feb 04 at 23:53   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

i have got to do a 10 minute presentation at uni on monday. has anyone got any tips for doing them. I ve had to do them in the past, but still dont enjoy them

Cheers

James
Gaz

21st Feb 04 at 23:55   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

speak clearly and make them feel like ya enjoying ya self... they will feel rlaxed then u will se it on there face's and u will become more relaxed even if u dont like them
CorsaLad

22nd Feb 04 at 00:02   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

ok cheers mate. still feels like its a bit easier said than done lol
willay
Organiser: South East, National Events
Premium Member

22nd Feb 04 at 00:35   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

speak clear, loud. Handouts are useful, also research into the topic so you can anwser questions thrown at you. Dont speak too fast, dont speak too slow. Use images,powerpoint presentations to aid the listeners. Ask for questions at the end.
Hammer

22nd Feb 04 at 00:43   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Personally i drank 4 bottles of wife beater n drove 2 uni a bad move which i wouldnt recommend considering it was 10 in the morning as well, but a spose nerves got the better of me. (i sailed the presentation btw)
IntaCepta

22nd Feb 04 at 00:45   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

4 bottles is abit too much?
i got one on tuesday, 10mins too about socket programming.
i'm only gonna speak for 5mins or so.

i was seriously thinkin maybe have 1 or 2 stellas before i go in.. lol

CorsaLad

22nd Feb 04 at 00:46   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

yeah, you just feel like an idiot standing up there when no-one is interested in what you are saying.
IntaCepta

22nd Feb 04 at 00:46   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

its a bitch, cos i spoke so fast in one of the presentations i cut down a 10min talk to 5mins!!!
Ian
Site Administrator

22nd Feb 04 at 00:59   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I work in a college and of course this involves talking to groups of students all day long. Its not difficult. Make sure your subject knowledge is spot on so you're using the visual aids as a prompt not reading from them. Have a paper copy of your slides so you can see what's coming next and finally talk to everyone, don't just focus on the receptive people. Its very easy to turn it in to a dialog between you and whoever is looking like they're listening. Its a bit of an art but a good speaker will always address everyone in the room, those people very well practised in it will be able to tell you how much each person has taken in. In an informal discussion situation this can be used to recap and reiterate, to make sure everyone is following what you're saying.

Like I say, its easy. Main thing is be confident about what you're talking about, and enthusiastic if that is possible. Not overly jokey as this can look nervous. Just committed to what you're saying.
CorsaLad

22nd Feb 04 at 01:07   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

i'm guessing that you were more nervous at giving presentations when you first stareted your job?

how did you gain more confidence?

anything you do to remain confident when you are up there?

Thanks for all you help
Ian
Site Administrator

22nd Feb 04 at 01:31   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Yeah a little although I started off fairly informally with small groups of people sitting round a table rather than me presenting.

Confidence is all about enthusiasm and subject knowledge. Remaining confident is really about knowing that your audience are with you on what you're saying. Its very difficult to talk to people if you don't know if they're taking it in and this can make you feel like you're talking rubbish. Look out for small signs like nods and acknowledgement and use them to pace your discussion. No signs and you need to rephrase and represent, or if you see the signs keep progressing through your material.

It might help your slides if you can give yourself a nice flow to the topic, whether you're tackling a number of individual issues or they're related in some way.

There's usually a classic way of tackling the normal discussion topics; design, analysis, implementation etc. What is the topic?
CorsaLad

22nd Feb 04 at 11:13   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

thanks Ian, the topics is on the comparison of the East Midlands with the rest of the UK (in terms of the economy and population etc).

Cheers
Craig6682

22nd Feb 04 at 11:16   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I've got one on Tuesday. I hate these things, i always shit myself.
leeshez

22nd Feb 04 at 11:18   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Make some note to hand out so they can follow along
BabyBlade

22nd Feb 04 at 11:20   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Sxi04
Personally i drank 4 bottles of wife beater n drove 2 uni a bad move which i wouldnt recommend considering it was 10 in the morning as well, but a spose nerves got the better of me. (i sailed the presentation btw)

I do the same, however I get a lift!!!! Never drink and drive

Don't over do it though, youve had too much if you cant remember it the next day

Got an important one in June, did a 10min one a few months ago, theyre crap, think some poeple just arent made to give speeches.

Just try and stay relaxed and focused, thats my 10p worth
Mikorsa16v

22nd Feb 04 at 12:01   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

if you look tense ppl will remember this, if ya look calm (you dont have to be calm, mind) you will get more respect after
littlemisscorsa!

22nd Feb 04 at 13:18   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I've gotta give a 15 min minimum presentation on teaching english as a second language - with example so i gotta pretend to be teacher!
I've done em before and the only advice I'd give is not to write ur whole speech down and have it in front of u, just have key words - and don't try and memorize phrases - just talk about the subject like you're talking to a teacher alone - oh and look at ur teacher only!!! they will give u encouraging looks if they're nice - which they should be! xxx

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » uni presentation.... 22 database queries in 0.0126500 seconds