corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Help Zone, Modification and ICE Advice » In car pc

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author In car pc
MikeLamb

User status: Offline
15th Feb 04 at 01:42   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

hiya, ive ordered a 7" touchscreen for my car, and although im going to build a mini itx box for it, for the moment i am normal midi case through an inverter! what wattage inverter should i get? im looking at a 400 but would that be enough to run a celeron 700 system?? Cheers
Rob Withey

15th Feb 04 at 10:16   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

400 should be fine. depends what other components you're running : high powered graphics cards, how many drives, etc.
MikeLamb

15th Feb 04 at 11:06   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

cool, i am using onboard graphics and a single 20gig hdd, there is also a dvd drive, but i could disconnect that! I connected it to a 150w inverter for a laugh and nothing happened! cheers
Corsa^Dan

16th Feb 04 at 23:27   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

if its a small cpu and 350 should do fine, try too cut fonw on whats running on it, take some ram out... if u dont need it
Dom

18th Feb 04 at 10:00   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

alright boss, hold your horses !!!!
you dont need an inverter ! have a look around the web for an ATX in car PSU. Plenty of people are selling them for just that reason - having a pc in your car. Also there are lots of diagrams on how to build your own PSU if you handy with the soldering iron etc Most of them will be cheaper than buying an inverter too
Also there no point in getting an inverter, because your going 12v from car to 240v AC inverter, then back to 12v (and 5v) again for the pc Plus an inverter will waste lost of power, mainly in heat and also causes lots of radio radiation, which isnt good inside a car.

hoped this has helped mate
MikeLamb

18th Feb 04 at 10:08   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

certianly did! I am going for an opus power supply soon, as i am building a mini-itx system! The pc i am wacking in there for now is only a temp one, so i can play with my new toy as soon as it arrives! Thanks for the advice again VisibleMan!
Rob Withey

18th Feb 04 at 15:14   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

It's a lot cheaper to use an inverter, that's the main benefit of it (espeically when you already have an AC ATX PSU).

I ended up building my own power supply. Runs my system on about 30W. http://www.nav.to/robwithey for pictures/schematics.

Rob
Dom

19th Feb 04 at 10:51   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by MikeLamb
certianly did! I am going for an opus power supply soon, as i am building a mini-itx system! The pc i am wacking in there for now is only a temp one, so i can play with my new toy as soon as it arrives! Thanks for the advice again VisibleMan!

not a problem mate I was looking at doing this a few months back and thought it was a good idea, but what i wanted it to do would have been a real git to do, so i gave up on it.
But yea, when you put the system in fully, it would be better to either build your own 12vPSU (Robs schematics of his PSU look pretty good from what i can tell ) or buy one (loads of people have done it, just look up 'Mp3 Car' in google and there will be loads of results).

Anyways mate, keep us posted about it, would be interested in what the outcome is etc
MikeLamb

19th Feb 04 at 12:40   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

cheers, psu looks cool robb! i am rather tempted by the opus one thou http://www.opussolutions.com/150watt.html! Screen and inverter both arrived this morning, should get a go as starting to install it this evening, i will get sum pics up as it goes along! BTW, i am putting the screen behind the gearstick on the centre console!! Cheers
Rob Withey

19th Feb 04 at 14:04   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Yeah, go with the Opus. Unless you have a low power PC, my PSU won't be enough for your system anyway.
MikeLamb

20th Feb 04 at 17:14   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

More pics! Still more sanding and filling needed, but you get the idea! Final colour will be neptune blue!

[Edited on 24-02-2004 by MikeLamb]

[Edited on 24-02-2004 by MikeLamb]
MikeLamb

20th Feb 04 at 17:42   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

lots of filling and sanding to go i kno! :S but thats how far ive got!
Rob Withey

20th Feb 04 at 17:47   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Very nice indeed.
Wolf In Welsh Clothing

20th Feb 04 at 18:42   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Looking good.
How much were the screen and power supply as cant find any prices.
Is the screen one for video input or vga?
MikeLamb

20th Feb 04 at 18:52   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

was £190, i think the powersupply was bout the same price! and the screen has both kinds of inputs
MikeLamb

24th Feb 04 at 22:12   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

new pics added!
M2RTY

25th Feb 04 at 10:53   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

i hope that screen comes out as i know a lot of the touch screen moduals stop working once a few bits of dust get in

plus i hope u get it well ventalated so the hot air can get out
MikeLamb

25th Feb 04 at 14:35   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

nop, it doesnt come out! :S nithing i can do now but hope for the best!! lol! im puttin a fan in there as well to keep it cool! Cheers

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Help Zone, Modification and ICE Advice » In car pc 23 database queries in 0.0138760 seconds