corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » Legal Advice Re: Jobs

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Legal Advice Re: Jobs
Phil321

User status: Offline
27th Jan 04 at 08:20   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Right, I graduate this year and have a couple of job offers secured. The trouble is, they both want me to sign the contracts now.

However, I have a few more interviews/assessment centres coming up, one of which is for my first choice job.

If I were to sign the contracts, does anyone know where I would stand with regards to backing down and taking another job? They are September starts and I would be able to give them at least a couple of months notice.

Any ideas? If not, where can I research this kind of thing?
starkmotorsport

27th Jan 04 at 08:43   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Id check with your local careers centre. Try Yellow Pages or www.yell.com

I wouldnt sign a contract though. Surely any reputable company will have a trial period of when you start, normally 3 months that you both see if you like each other. After the period has past (and your still there!) THEN consider signing a contract.

Legally you cant back out of a contract if you sign the bits of paper.
Techie

27th Jan 04 at 09:20   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

i would think that you would have to do a standard time for them even if it is two weeks for leaving but you should read your contracts thoroughly personnaly i wouldn't do it (training to be a legal secretary)
Phil321

27th Jan 04 at 09:53   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I have to sign a contract of employment before I can commence work though.

One of them wants it returned within 10days. Its so competitive that they want to know and if I'm not quick I might lose out.

I am going to sign it anyway. They can hardly drag me kicking and screaming into there to work!

Also, its unlikely that they will sue for breach of contract. There must be loads of graduates in this sort of situation.
Techie

27th Jan 04 at 10:04   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

yeah probably just employment law bit dodgy i hope you get away with it employment law normally goes with the employee's favour any way
vibrio
Banned

27th Jan 04 at 10:26   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

don;t sign it untill your going to start the job. if they have offered you the job they cannot take that back

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » Legal Advice Re: Jobs 22 database queries in 0.0091441 seconds