corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » better MPG???

New Poll
  <<  1    2  >> Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author better MPG???
Drew
Banned

User status: Offline
25th Jan 04 at 01:53   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

how can i get better MPG out of car?

use to get around 60mile per tenner, down to around 40 now

clean filter? change plugs? how?

dont say its to do with my right foot
Marc

25th Jan 04 at 01:59   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Ive just got 30mile to £15.
Richie

25th Jan 04 at 02:00   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

In my 1.2 corsa im only getting around 200 miles to a full tank. Serious problem me thinks
IntaCepta

25th Jan 04 at 02:20   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

^ same as
put in 20£ get 140m usual driving
got 170m once driving under 2krpm all the time.

used to get 200m easy from 20£.
its costing too much money, more than i can afford really.
Nismo

25th Jan 04 at 02:23   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

this goes for me too . BUT i get 25 miles to £10
shrews corsa

25th Jan 04 at 02:25   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by AustinPXX
In my 1.2 corsa im only getting around 200 miles to a full tank. Serious problem me thinks

exactly the same as me mate!
Richie

25th Jan 04 at 02:29   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

im on a 16v tho, more serious for you than me then
shrews corsa

25th Jan 04 at 02:31   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

yeah i get roughly 160 miles to £20 of petrol
Richie

25th Jan 04 at 02:32   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

full tank costs me £30 tho? i run it right down every time
shrews corsa

25th Jan 04 at 02:35   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

mine prob would too, i just put £20 as its an easy figure and its usually below the last marker on gauge before i put £20 in again
psycho sport

25th Jan 04 at 03:25   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

strip ur car right down, buy an ecotek valve, and get an exhaust system and role on 13" steelies and u ll be gettin 100-110 miles to £10 of petrol! i did!
IntaCepta

25th Jan 04 at 03:35   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

think the major cause is my wheels
used to have 13" steelies getting 200+ on 20£
i'm loosing 60miles from every 20£ cos of the 16" alloys.
psycho sport

25th Jan 04 at 03:37   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

yea wheel size is a killer! unless u go for the super light weight ones which cost ££££
el gordo

25th Jan 04 at 04:43   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

jesus - my 1.8 audi a4 used to cost me about £10 for 120 miles or so and the rally prepped (superchipped fuel-drinker) hrv used to do about 80 miles to an ayrton senna.

do you find you're often changing up on the redline, driving round town within 1k of the redline even at slow speeds?

little erratic bursts of gas for fun?

avoiding the brakes and using the engine braking to slow down on the approach to roundabouts and junctions?

braking late?

all of these DRINK fuel.

throttle on a little lighter, change up the gears smoothly and pretty soon, try and use 4th for round town (helps remove temptation to speed as well).

when approaching junctions leave it in 4th til you're going about 10mph then select 2nd, clutch out steady (but not allowing to coast) an almost straight away back in selecting 1st ready to move away cos you used the brakes to stop with.

brake a bit sooner and a bit lighter so the engine isn't working hard.

If you have 2 routes to choose from and both are similar in length go for the flattest. hills DRINK petrol from your car. Try and use the route with least obstacles such as junctions and roundabouts too.

as for wheel sizes, if you go DOWN a size you'll lose out on mpg... THINK about it... bigger wheels means a larger circumference which means more distance covered for each wheel revolution at the hub which is taking the same power to create. PLUS it'd put your speedo out a fair way if the effect mentioned in this thread was being experienced as a result of the wheel size. No. The tyre profile is amended to a lowe one with larger rims so the total tyre size is very little different and the little difference there is goes in your favour for mpg (but will make your speedo read slightly low).

another major factor - you need to fill up in the suburbs, not in town or in the country. the burbs get the best deal. you're getting less fuel for yer quid at the mo!!!

ahh, that audi was beaut! £40 to fill up and would take me a good 450 miles to run out Cruise control at 69 mph on the M1 and it'd read 48mpg til the cows came home, on the flat, 85+ downhill and still about 20mpg up hills! lovely
el gordo

25th Jan 04 at 04:44   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

ps - alloys are lighter than steel in general so it's hardly weight - and if weight were THAT big a factor with such a tiny car, go on a bloody diet
Fad

25th Jan 04 at 09:56   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by AustinPXX

you fools look what car he drives

celica GT4

reckon a service could help a bit mayb a rolling road. When i had mine set up that improved my MPG drastically and with my 2ltr even driving erratically from time to time i still get around 320 miles to a full tank
corsa-sxi

25th Jan 04 at 12:20   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

i got a corsa c 1.2 16v, get about 250 miles per £30 run down till red light flashes
ed

25th Jan 04 at 12:50   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

USe the EcoTec spray... It costs about £20 but it cleans your engine out and makes it run more efficiently - It worked on my 1.2 8v Corsa pretty well. Also if you have a pannel filter still replace that every 2 years, or sooner if you live in 'countryside'... New spark plugs may help, especially if your ones are all oiled/carboned/greased up... If you use a K&N get some ducting to the filter cos the ECU tells the engine to burn more fuel if the air coming in is wam I think...
vibrio
Banned

25th Jan 04 at 19:10   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Drew
how can i get better MPG out of car?

use to get around 60mile per tenner, down to around 40 now

clean filter? change plugs? how?

dont say its to do with my right foot

well serviced car, don't drive on boost, don't labour the engine, don't drive fast, look ahead on the road so your not having to brake and accelerate as much. don;t do short journy's a cold engine uses more fuel

[Edited on 25-01-2004 by vibrio]
Gavin
Premium Member

25th Jan 04 at 19:12   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

where can u get this EcoTec spray!!!

pew pew pew pewwwww
M4tt

25th Jan 04 at 19:40   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

i get at least 210 from 20 quid, with mixed driving styles, my car usually sees the red line a few times on each journey, but i never redline first or second really, just thrid and forth.

thats a 1.4 16v btw.

can't believe you lot with 1.2s are getting way less than me, i mean a full tank gets me about 330 miles, and i don't drive like a granny, but i do brake gently and early
el gordo

25th Jan 04 at 22:53   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

oh aye - optimax - pay more at the pump but get more mileage, more economy (enough to pay for the extra cost).

don't use cheapo poor-peoples unleaded.
Tim
Site Administrator

25th Jan 04 at 22:57   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I find it funny some of the 1.2's are doing the same sorta consumption as my 2.0?!?!

Are you ragging your cars to death all the time or something?
kerzo

25th Jan 04 at 23:05   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Tim
I find it funny some of the 1.2's are doing the same sorta consumption as my 2.0?!?!

Are you ragging your cars to death all the time or something?

i found it funny too!! I was getting about 350miles to a full tank and anyone that knows me will vouch that I don't speed and don't rake it!!
MattyB

25th Jan 04 at 23:21   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I cant believe you can actually afford to put in £10 and only get <50 miles outta it!!! Thats just crazy money? U must be loaded.....

Now in my pug, i get around 120miles from a tenner round town, and 150+ on a 60mph run. I got from London -> Oxford and back (145 miles) on under 1/4 tank. Thats carrying 3 passengers + luggage.

I cant imagine it any other way now!! Yes its a DERV, but the people behind can worry bout the smoke, not me! And u cant even hear the chug on the motorway. And with the ability to still pull 120mph with 4 up, i'm not moaning at all!

Matt

[Edited on 25-01-2004 by MattyB]

<<  1    2  >>

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » better MPG??? 23 database queries in 0.0921650 seconds