corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » What brakes?....anyone used Hi-Spec?

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author What brakes?....anyone used Hi-Spec?
BarryAstra

User status: Offline
18th Jan 04 at 12:09   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Im gonna get some uprated brakes on the astra...want some big disks and calipers and also the rears changed to disks...at the moment its mainly for show but the brakes on my Astra are shit anyway....but im also gonna do a conversion at some point so I may aswell get brakes that can cope with more power.

What set up would u recommend?

Anyone used those Hi_spec big brake conversions?...was looking at them in the PVD catalouge.

Also what kinda price should I be looking at for this kinda set up?

Cheers
TOMAS

18th Jan 04 at 15:47   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Do you want BIG 4pot calipers or JUST big discs.... HiSpec are pretty good, as are Wilwoods... What size alloys are you running cos us Vauxhalls have tight space for 4potters.

Dunno about the rears but the going rate for front 285mm discs with 4pot calipers inc all hardware, pads and lines is about £550, the Wilwoods are slightly cheaper than HiSpecs but HiSpecs come in gold and silver/chrome. If you wanted to go for 300mm setup which can JUST be squeezed under 16's you'll be looking at about £150 more as these ones use seperate bells and rotors which do 'look' better.

[Edited on 18-01-2004 by TOMAS]
AK

18th Jan 04 at 16:01   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

im running hispec 4's with 300mm discs on my corsa..... very good

around 700-800 quid
BarryAstra

18th Jan 04 at 16:26   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

its gonna be on 19s so space wont be a problem.

what about the rear disc conversion?
vibrio
Banned

18th Jan 04 at 16:27   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Andy Hamilton runs wilwoods
BarryAstra

18th Jan 04 at 16:41   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

is he on the site yeah?
TOMAS

18th Jan 04 at 16:43   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Well you can fit 350mm with 6pots on their if you have the wallet!! Yeah i'd deffo say that Wilwood are the direct competition for HiSpec, their aint a lot in it but ive heard BAD stories about HiSpecs rotors warping and cracking, I dont know if they have sorted this yet. Im just saving at the minute for the HiSpec 285 Billet 4 kit
BarryAstra

18th Jan 04 at 16:45   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

u got any links to price pages or anything mate for both sets?
Andy

18th Jan 04 at 17:08   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by vibrio
Andy Hamilton runs wilwoods

I run Wilwood Midilite 4-pots. They're very good and unlike much of the Wilwood range, fully dust sealed. Set of Callipers and 285 dics will set you back around 500 including VAT and some braided hoses. Talk to Rally Design if you're interested http://www.raldes.co.uk/
Joff

18th Jan 04 at 17:09   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

The only problems I know of where HiSpec rotors have warped or cracked is where people haven't bedded their discs in fully before using the brakes.

HiSpec recommend a gradual increase in braking up to 400 miles. A lot of people obviously don't want to wait that long - they've just spent £800 on brakes they're not able to use immediately... so instead they end up with brakes they can't use at all.

I'm trying for 310mm Billet4's under 16s
Joff

18th Jan 04 at 17:11   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Andy's right - any 4-pots you decide to get MUST have dust seals, otherwise you might as well not bother and just stick to V6 brakes.
TOMAS

21st Jan 04 at 10:27   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

But ive heard of cases where the dust seals have melted in emmense heat and caused the pistons to bind... But agreed i'd get the sealed ones, especially as we live in the UK!

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » What brakes?....anyone used Hi-Spec? 22 database queries in 0.0133069 seconds