corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » I now have a new rx8 on 24 hour test drive- opinions

New Poll
  <<  1    2    3    4  >> Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author I now have a new rx8 on 24 hour test drive- opinions
Dr Pepper

User status: Offline
16th Jan 04 at 14:28   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Right- before i start dont get me wrong, this is a great car. However, I thought that after i had driven it for the day i would be a bit disapointed that i have ordered a cooper s, and seriously consider the extra money for the mazda. This certainly hasnt been the case.

When you give the rx8 some stick it is fantastic- loads of power, great engine noise and it feels really assured. Its when you are driving at low revs that the car didnt feel so good. In the cooper s the supercharger makes the car fun to drive at any speed- there is always nice amounts of acceleration- the mazda just doesnt have this. I have to say i am bitterly dissapointed at the amount of acceleration from low revs in second and third gear- it actually feels sluggish imo.

Also the engine is barely audible unless your ragging the tits off it. I had the impression that the sound of the rotary engine would be really noticable.

The mazda also suffers from having 18" wheels as the only option. It tramlined in every bump and didnt feel as alive as the coopers i have driven round bends. The ride is also really harsh- much harder than the 's' on runflats, and harder than my spax kit on the corsa...I would expect much more impressive cornering from a setup this harsh.

All in all the mazda was just not a particularly impressive car untill you get the revs up- The driving position is good , but rear visability is shocking- The steering is also extremely light- to such an extent that you almost feel removed from the car. The gearbox seemed much better than the cooper s though.

This is all based on a 5 hour drive- on normal roads, and on our local airfield.

For everyday use i am still glad i have a cooper s on order- its much more fun to drive than the mazda. Its still a very nice car though- the interior is gorgeous but expensive. Servicing is also bloody pricey

Well worth a test drive though- get alot of looks when i was driving round town.------Anybody else been in one of these.

[Edited on 16-01-2004 by Dr Pepper]
Phil321

16th Jan 04 at 14:33   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

How you get it for 24 hrs????????

Might have to get me down the local Mazda dealer!
Dr Pepper

16th Jan 04 at 14:35   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

You have to write to them normally- i know someone who works there- also have to get insurance for the day
Phil321

16th Jan 04 at 14:36   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

You have to pay to insure a test drive?

Feck that off! Might go for a blast in a TT this weekend instead
Dr Pepper

16th Jan 04 at 14:39   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

You do if you havnt got the sales man with you.
Daimo B

16th Jan 04 at 14:48   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Put them both on track and the RX8 would wipe over the Cooper though.

Cooper S is a great little car though, i love em. So tunable also.

Rotary isn't loud, its just distinctive. RX8 sounds like i'd expect. BUt looks wise, RX8 wins hands down for me
Dr Pepper

16th Jan 04 at 14:51   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Daimo B
Put them both on track and the RX8 would wipe over the Cooper though.

Cooper S is a great little car though, i love em. So tunable also.

Rotary isn't loud, its just distinctive. RX8 sounds like i'd expect. BUt looks wise, RX8 wins hands down for me

Definately agree with that- rx8 would be fantastic on a track- and if i was buying it as a track car it would a fantastic job- as an everyday car i know which one i would have
Jason

16th Jan 04 at 14:55   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

looks like a lump of plastic from the front....
Dr Pepper

16th Jan 04 at 15:00   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I agree Jason- back and side is very nice though- Istill prefer driving smaller cars though- it feels quite long when your driving- reversing is a total mission
Gambit

16th Jan 04 at 15:15   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

the mini aint that tuneable, the actual engine is a bag of shite, hence the need for a supercharger
Dr Pepper

16th Jan 04 at 15:17   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Bag of shite is a bit of an exaggeration dont ya think mate
Gambit

16th Jan 04 at 15:17   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

ok, it could have been alot better
Phil321

16th Jan 04 at 16:19   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Have you ever even driven one Gambit or are you just another CS user who reproduces what hes read in some motoring mag?

The stock Cooper engine is quoted at 115bhp but in a mag feature on a rolling road they all made 130bhp ish. Not bad for a 1.6 really and hadly a bag of shite.

They're also impressive in gear and theres a real kick from 4.5k, as any Mini owner will testify.
Phil321

16th Jan 04 at 16:21   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

And what do you mean could have been better? Its not designed to be a performance car!

Also, as you are obviously such a fan of what the mags say, EVO reckon its the best Supermini money can buy whilst the 'S' is the best hot hatch money can buy!
Tim
Site Administrator

16th Jan 04 at 16:22   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Have to say the Cooper S is pretty damn nippy... gave me more of a shock than I expected...

Not too keen on that whole rear door thing on the RX8... saw one in town and I'd still rather have an RX7...

[Edited on 16-01-2004 by Tim]
Ditch

16th Jan 04 at 16:24   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

and handle rather well too.....
Tim
Site Administrator

16th Jan 04 at 16:29   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Yup... love racing them actually (on private roads)... Handling is great and they certainly accelerate low down the revs... what's the top end on them like?

Cooper S drivers are more the 'thumbs up' type than the 'middle finger' type too which is nice...
Gambit

16th Jan 04 at 16:42   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

my god Phil321 anytime somebody mentions anything against a mini you go into one completly - fair enough its not designed to be a performance car, they wanted it to be a hot hatch though, hence why bolt a good dam supercharger on to it and name it the Cooper S, becuase the std cooper is just not good enough for the cooper name and its history

yes i have driven one, all be it a test drive

and you keep chirpin on about the bloody handling of the thing, how ofter do you take your mini to the limits??

TBH i can happily keep with a cooper S through bends and straights or whatever, and all i have is 200cc more minus a supercharger and 12yrs older, but i dont harp on about it

[Edited on 16-01-2004 by Gambit]
Phil321

16th Jan 04 at 16:42   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Tim
Cooper S drivers are more the 'thumbs up' type than the 'middle finger' type too which is nice...

Yes, I get random Minis flashing and waving at me. Even middle aged blokes! The dealer told me I had to when I picked mine up.
Phil321

16th Jan 04 at 16:43   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Gambit
TBH i can happily keep with a cooper S through bends and straights or whatever, and all i have is 200cc more minus a supercharger and 12yrs older, but i dont harp on about it

Bollocks!
Phil321

16th Jan 04 at 16:44   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Now I know your talking shit!
Gambit

16th Jan 04 at 16:48   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

whys that then? at least put some explanation behind your comments, i had the deceny to explain so why dont you
Gambit

16th Jan 04 at 16:50   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

and be quick im going to the bar at 5!!
Phil321

16th Jan 04 at 16:50   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Well, they're faster than you in a straight line and they DEFINATELY handle better, definately. A friend of mine has a MKII GTI and wilst I am a massive fan of them (I even want one for myself) they're not a patch on a Cooper S in terms of performance. Not a patch.
Gambit

16th Jan 04 at 16:54   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

8v or 16v though?

there aint much in them from a standing start, in gear yes the cooper will eat it and handling is better but hardly something to write home about.

i just think it could have been better

<<  1    2    3    4  >>

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » I now have a new rx8 on 24 hour test drive- opinions 22 database queries in 0.1939359 seconds