corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Help Zone, Modification and ICE Advice » Gear knobs on Corsa 'C'

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Gear knobs on Corsa 'C'
Chris220

User status: Offline
16th Jan 04 at 00:01   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Having just wasted over an hour of my life attempting to remove this item. It seems Vauxhall don't want you to remove it and have seemingly welded the bloody thing on. However, any future attempts by anyone should heed this. You will not be able to save the standard knob. It will have to be obliterated/cut off. I'm sure someone here will correct me and say how easy it was but this was the standard SRi chrome effect one and is not the same as other models. Any other comments welcomed of course.
dannycorsa c

16th Jan 04 at 00:05   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

i twisted mine like fuk and it wudnt budge so i jammed a screw driver up the side and twisted and pull and it eventually came off! just keep trying! try heating it up with a hair dryer aswell!
Sjdickso

16th Jan 04 at 08:44   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Same here after buying a nice steinmetz one for my Sxi, three hours later with me pulling and twisting I had no luck. I then took it to interior fitter near me who just laughed then got an industrial dremmel out nad cut it off!!

No going back to the old nob now.
Dave_Gordon

16th Jan 04 at 10:07   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I used some brute force just needs a good twist and patients???
Red_SXi

16th Jan 04 at 10:08   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I'm keeping mine, i like it and am yet to fine one that is better apart from the Irmscher one
PainZ

16th Jan 04 at 11:01   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

yeah SXi ones are lush!

i aim not getting the Irmscher one, its just round and looks wank

i like mine so its staying
uprated

16th Jan 04 at 11:11   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

the irmsher one is sex
blackula

16th Jan 04 at 11:11   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Mine came off, in this manner, I heated it with a heatgun from a distance for about 15 secs, till it was hot to touch but not melting the plastic ! Then I sprayed RS aerosol freezerspray on it, for about 10 secs, then grabbed a cloth and it twisted right of.

Sort of like when you put boiled eggs in cold water to get the shell off.

I then fitted the Ford Puma spherical alu gearnob I bought for my Zetec S, about 18 quid in 2001, and much cheaper and nicer than a Halfords or Demon tweeks special.

I did have to put some strips of plastic in it and a bit of hot melt glue in it to fit.
Paul H

16th Jan 04 at 11:31   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

thought about a steinmetz one but been told they don't fit too well
neiliosxi

16th Jan 04 at 11:39   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

nout wrong with the sxi gearnob! havnt even considered changing mine, would be a waste of time & money
Chris220

16th Jan 04 at 12:01   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Right, I'm armed with a hacksaw, bolt cutters and a spoon.

I'm going in......................................................
Sjdickso

16th Jan 04 at 12:02   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Yeh, I did like the sxi one but all the silver faded on mine and then started to flake off! I don’t wear rings and my gf hardly ever drives the car, but they wouldn’t do it under warrantee so that’s why I changed mine.

The Steinmetz ones fit spot on if you get the correct one, PVD's catalogue is wrong!

If you look the corsa B and corsa C has the same part number. PVD originally sent out a corsa B one that didn’t fit right loads of play and then after having it fitted I came off the slip road of the motorway the actual nob pulled off in my hand as I changed down, wasn’t laughing at the time

Spoke to Steinmetz and PVD were selling the incorrect gear nob, I got mine changed to the correct one but dred to think how many people are driving around with unsafe gear nobs.
Paul H

16th Jan 04 at 12:03   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Sjdickso
Yeh, I did like the sxi one but all the silver faded on mine and then started to flake off! I don’t wear rings and my gf hardly ever drives the car, but they wouldn’t do it under warrantee so that’s why I changed mine.

The Steinmetz ones fit spot on if you get the correct one, PVD's catalogue is wrong!

If you look the corsa B and corsa C has the same part number. PVD originally sent out a corsa B one that didn’t fit right loads of play and then after having it fitted I came off the slip road of the motorway the actual nob pulled off in my hand as I changed down, wasn’t laughing at the time

Spoke to Steinmetz and PVD were selling the incorrect gear nob, I got mine changed to the correct one but dred to think how many people are driving around with unsafe gear nobs.

thats exactly what mine is doing all the silver is coming off it
Sjdickso

16th Jan 04 at 12:13   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Was annoying! You could try and get it replaced under warrantee, but they wouldn't change mine.

If you do decide to go for the steinmetz one make sure you get the correct one, I can get the part number if you want. If you want any pics i will e-mail to you as what it looks like if you want chewbaccaman.
Chris220

17th Jan 04 at 15:16   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Right, original gear knob is bolloxed ( more importantly, it's off ) and the new and tasteful 'Sparco' one is attached.

Remember the spoon, it is invaluable.
combatprojex

17th Jan 04 at 15:25   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

mines loose... i aint even got a replacement... it just turns and all sorts!! fcukin crazy... u struggle tryin to replace it... i aint got a replacement but it wants to come off!!!

New Poll