corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Help Zone, Modification and ICE Advice » Wiring cig lighter - tapping into radio adapter. Good idea?

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Wiring cig lighter - tapping into radio adapter. Good idea?
jonathanbrook

User status: Offline
14th Jan 04 at 17:25   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

My Corsa didnt come with a fag lighter. So Ive been down the scrappers and pulled one of an astra. Its just the actual socket, not the surrounding and the two terminals on the bottom. First question - which is positive? The pin at the bottom or the surrounding?

Second question - i looked on the loom for anything that may have gone to a fag lighter if one was fitted. Couldn't immediately see anything but it got dark. But what if I tapped into the wiring adapter harness for my head unit with some spade connectors. I can easily work out which of those is earth, continuous and switched power so it would be ok, yes? And it would already be fused and wouldnt drain the battery if I left the iPod charger connected.

Can anyone think why this is a bad idea or of any better ideas? Will the head unit still function ok?

Any advice would be great!
Dom

14th Jan 04 at 18:15   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

no i wouldnt tap into your radio mate. If you cant find the wires in the loom, should be a black wire and a brown one (in a corsa B), then i would tap a connection from the ignition and add a new ground. That way it will only work when the ignition is on I take it doesnt have the light around it etc? if it does you will need to tap a connection of thelight switch etc
jonathanbrook

14th Jan 04 at 18:39   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Any reason you wouldnt tap the radio?

There appears to be two 'looms.' I realise that there is only one loom but there is a very chunky set of wires taped up that has the Vaux style radio connecters coming out of it and then theres a thinner one that runs across the front of the drivers dash (if you put your hand under the fuse box and along under the steering wheel) and then up the side and across the front of the ash tray but hidden by the centre console. It looks like someone has tapped this already, probably for the alarm, as there are two random fuses in the middle of the wires and its not taped up like the rest.

Will the cig lighter wires be in the fatter one containing the radio wires or the thinner one that goes across the front?

Theres no light, no. In fact im not mounting the socket, putting it in the void being the ash tray and under the head unit.

[Edited on 14-01-2004 by jonathanbrook]
jonathanbrook

15th Jan 04 at 14:04   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Anyone?
NeilRocks

15th Jan 04 at 14:43   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Don't fcuk with the radio loom mate. It can mess up your head unit and MFD. Just wire one in from an ignition wire. 20 minute job.
jonathanbrook

15th Jan 04 at 21:11   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Fair play... I'll run some new wires from the fuse box if I cant find anything appropriate on the loom.
mjw_2k2

16th Jan 04 at 12:13   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

i also want to do this and cant find the wires so while your doing yours tell me where they are hidden if ya find them thnx

New Poll