corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Help Zone, Modification and ICE Advice » Chips

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Chips
fax2004

User status: Offline
29th Dec 03 at 20:48   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

!st of all, are there any engine chips available for a 1.4 8v, and if so is it worth it, and how much would they cost?
Also, could it kill my engine, seen as how its done 98000 miles?
Cheers guys
Greg_M

29th Dec 03 at 20:54   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

depends on the condition of the engine and how well its been taken care of, a good engine thats had regular services and oil changes and not been ragged the b*****ks off will run good for 200,000+ with few probs.

But if its a duffer and has loads of probs and no good service history, than a rebuild would be in order before any chipping. In answer to the question yes there is chipping available for your engine, regal or cortney would probley point you in the rigth direction. Or check out the back of max power ect for companies near you.

As for price it would depend on the re-mapping done by the company, there are 'off-the-shelf' alternatives, including manual down load, but these are not set to your specific engine, and are often not worth the money as they can run lead/rich as they are programmed for perfect timing, injectors ect.

hope this helps
miles

29th Dec 03 at 21:25   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

It wont kill your engine any sooner than without one as most chips do close to feck all.
Greg_M

29th Dec 03 at 21:32   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

true most do, but if done properly and mapped correctly it can increase performance in most cars.
miles

29th Dec 03 at 22:05   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

yeah, but not significantly. 5 or 6 bhp tops. That doesn't need a decent bottom end for, as if your the type of person that wants a chip your ragging the feck out of it anyway.
Greg_M

30th Dec 03 at 16:49   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

yeah its more to fix peaks and low spots in the acc curves than improve performance dramaticly.
clarkie

1st Jan 04 at 19:38   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

a chip would blow your engine eventualy. they advance the ignition timing slightly, so the temprature when combusting is alot higher. it wont blow your engine straight away, it'll just happen sooner rather than l8r. if drove like a granny then it would probably last as long, but you dont buy a chip to drive slower, rite?
BeArDy

1st Jan 04 at 19:50   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

engine can last for ever if looked after

My new engine is one 98,000
Before that i had the 2lt 16v an that was on 75,000
gsi-gaz

1st Jan 04 at 20:33   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by miles
It wont kill your engine any sooner than without one as most chips do close to feck all.

ill vouch for that

i put one in my gsi

and gained hardly anything
on the other hand
people who have been in mine say that mine is quicker than any other that they have been in?

but personally,

i dont think it made much difference at all
Greasemonkey

1st Jan 04 at 21:15   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

A chip sets you up for future mods, ideally you want a unichip which can be programmed exactly to your engines needs, a superchip is pre programmed so isnt specific to your engine, if you have mantzel power box velos tourqe tube etc then the superchip will release good power cos you can drive the car over the rev limiter and with a power box it will still pull strongly
miles

1st Jan 04 at 21:26   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

A mappable chip sets you up for the future. But from what i hear a unichip remap costs a fair amount.....
Greasemonkey

1st Jan 04 at 21:27   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

yep it aint cheap £400 at velos motorsport, that includes setting up on the rolling road and fitting

New Poll