corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » Sidelights + Foglights

New Poll
  <<  1    2    3  >> Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Sidelights + Foglights
Nath

User status: Offline
21st Dec 03 at 20:51   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I saw an asian guy driving a BMW M3 convertible with fogs and sidelights on. This was at 3pm today!!! Was it foggy, NO! Was it dark or was visibilty poor, NO!

WTF is that about? Does he seriously think its cool or what?
vibrio
Banned

21st Dec 03 at 20:55   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Nath
I saw an asian guy driving a BMW M3 convertible with fogs and sidelights on. This was at 3pm today!!! Was it foggy, NO! Was it dark or was visibilty poor, NO!

it was dark in the drivers seat
Nath

21st Dec 03 at 20:56   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Joff

21st Dec 03 at 20:59   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I suppose it's the same for those that drive with Neon washer jets... what are they for? Are they that proud of having a car with washer jets (because their last one/bmx didn't???) they have to illuminate them??

HGV drivers love them too... ....

...and Yorkies.
Joff

21st Dec 03 at 21:00   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by vibrio
quote:
Originally posted by Nath

it was dark in the drivers seat

Yes, my dashboard has a blue light when I've got main beam on. Maybe his favourite colour is displayed when he puts his fog lights on.
Nath

21st Dec 03 at 21:01   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

HGV drivers have neon fetishes
chrisfitton

21st Dec 03 at 21:02   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

if its really thick fog (say like hrdly see 2Meters in front of ya) ive been recommened by many police in traffic to drive with foglights and sidelights only. As with main beam your light just bounces off the fog and u cant see a thing but with foglights and sidelights only, the fog lights undercut the fog light enabeling you to see the road a hell of alot better than with main beam on.
Joff

21st Dec 03 at 21:05   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

If it's really REALLY foggy, I find it best to speed through it as quickly as possible till you get into better visibility.

Nath

21st Dec 03 at 21:08   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

If you speed when its foggy you will get through it in less time. I like Joff's thinking.
Joff

21st Dec 03 at 21:11   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I seem to remember a sarcastic image showing a car with it's sidelights on - has anyone got this??
el gordo

22nd Dec 03 at 19:25   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Ian
Its actually legal to drive with fog lights on if you're not also displaying dipped beam and you're in a 30 limit. Not a lot of people know that

Oh aye - and where is that mentioned in statute?

I'd love to know which part of the highway code, or legal reference you're using, as the highway code, the law and ACPO guidelines dictate otherwise.

The highway code also circumvents the Foglight and Driving light argument by covering them both in one (Not to mention the fact that driving lights are of similar intensity to Fog Lights but have a beam pattern that sends the light in the same way as the headlight, and so affects people further away and at a higher level, so are in fact MORE dangerous).

I'm quite looking forward to this...
paul_spurrell

22nd Dec 03 at 19:45   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

in the high way code it recomends driving in fog with side lights and fogs, especially in built up areas or when driving close to other viehcles
el gordo

22nd Dec 03 at 19:51   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

key point - in fog...

i.e. severely reduced visibility.

I'd also like to see how Ian's theory stands up to the Designation of Approval Marks Regulations.

stuyw

22nd Dec 03 at 20:28   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

ive actually found out, that pressing the fog light switch again, does indeed switch them off. Wonder if other people know this as there are so many tossers driving around with them still switched on
el gordo

22nd Dec 03 at 22:34   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

by the way, for informational purposes, and to clarify beyond doubt...

quote:

Highway Code:-

94. You MUST NOT

use any lights in a way which would dazzle or cause discomfort to other road users

use front or rear fog lights unless visibility is seriously reduced. You MUST switch them off when visibility improves to avoid dazzling other road users.

Law RVLR reg 27

201. You MUST use headlights when visibility is seriously reduced, generally when you cannot see for more than 100 metres (328 feet). You may also use front or rear fog lights (in addition to headlights) but you MUST switch them off when visibility improves (see rule 211).
Law RVLR regs 25 & 27

211. You MUST NOT use front or rear fog lights unless visibility is seriously reduced (see rule 201) as they dazzle other road users and can obscure your brake lights. You MUST switch them off when visibility improves.
Law RVLR regs 25 & 27

and then this follows from the ACPO, clarifies it is an offence and it is recommended they prosecute instead of warn:

ACPO Home Office Guideline "Offence Group 21", CJS code RL 89163, Statue R27 RVLR 89 "Misuse of lamps: - fog lamps (front/rear)" with a recommendation of prosecution rather than warning, and a VDRN if necessary.

This means you'll be done for it, not told off if the copper is following the guidelines (only superceded by local directives to tollerate or clamp down). This also means if they're on because they're faulty, and you fail to fix it in a set time, then your car can be impounded and even crushed, so don't even THINK about hard-wiring them on...

As for people who claim theirs are driving lights and as a result aren't as bad... WRONG!!! They're worse!

A: represents the wide and low beam pattern of a standard fog light. Standard fog lights will help widen your field of vision in fog and other circumstances of poor visibility, especially on single lane highways and country roads.
B: represents the wide and low pattern of a projector fog light. Projector fog lights are usually slightly more expensive than standard fog lights but provide a brighter, longer beam.
C: represents the narrow and long pattern cast by an auxiliary driving light. Auxiliary driving lights are helpful for driving in poor lighting conditions where your forward vision is an issue.

So, similar intensities but the beam is cast higher, further and more "in your face" than fogs - so don't hide behind "ooh, it's ok, they're not real fog lamps" cos they're worse! The law allows for any lights which dazzle, not just fogs.

I'm sure anyone who rides motorbikes, drives SUV's or 4x4s or other high-set road-view position vehicles (as well as driving regular cars) can testify how painful it is to be met by oncoming fogs, and even worse 'driving' lights' in night, and even in daytime are dazzled by them. The motorbike circumstance is made worse by the curvature of the visor, and the fact that tints are illegal so there's no protection whatsoever.

PS - rain isn't a circumstance to try them out either, as the reflection back from the road simply adds to the problem.

Oooh, and another thing - if your kits are wired to flick the fogs or aux-driving lights on when you go to full-beam (so out in the sticks, or when flashing people) then again, it's still an offence as the minute they light up, the wrong lens-type is being used as a headlight and there's the whole issue I mentioned earlier about "Designation of Approval Marks" Regulations to back this up.

Finally, according to a chap I know who's still current job (traffic), as well as 2 others who are ex-job, foglights with window down usually gets a tug and a breathalyser cos pissheads tend to drive with the window down, and not realise their fogs are on (or try to look cool by putting them on) and it's a perfect chance to check for drugs, knives, stolen goods - so a 3 minute pull can be turned into a 20 minute grilling and REALLY inconvenience you. If you'd had the fogs off? Probably no pull. Add a baseball cap in and they'll be even more likely to go for the bait and put the cap on arse about face, and yer asking for it (and usually fail what most coppers term the "attitude test" for behaviour when stopped, respect shown toward the law, cooperation in execution of duty [they want it over with as fast as you do, just do as you're told!] though this decreases in severity if there's no audience from mates, girlfriend or bystanders). 2 of them reckoned they had colleagues who considered it "fun" to play with the 'hot hatches'" and pull them as often as practical, depending on how busy it was, cos of the likelihood of finding illegal goods, illegal motors, people with outstanding warrants etc etc. They'd be more likely to pull if the fogs were on, purely for considering the driver a prize twat.

so, is it REALLY worth the hassle, let alone the real danger you're causing to other road users, just so your pinhead mates think yer tricked up motor looks a bit cooler with them on?

</rant>

Nath

22nd Dec 03 at 22:40   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Its MR.Highway Code!!

[Edited on 22-12-2003 by Nath]
el gordo

22nd Dec 03 at 22:47   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

nah, just mr sick-of-being-dazzled, and his alter ego, mr likes-to-put-whining-excuse-makers-back-in-their-box.

Nath

22nd Dec 03 at 22:48   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

ok
el gordo

22nd Dec 03 at 23:02   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Joff

22nd Dec 03 at 23:06   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Can you explain the whole "horses on roundabouts" thing??

I skipped that question on my theory test - if a rider takes his/her horse onto a roundabout then they should expect to get glue!!

paul_spurrell

23rd Dec 03 at 08:35   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by el gordo

quote:

They'd be more likely to pull if the fogs were on, purely for considering the driver a prize twat.

vibrio
Banned

23rd Dec 03 at 08:53   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Joff
Can you explain the whole "horses on roundabouts" thing??

I skipped that question on my theory test - if a rider takes his/her horse onto a roundabout then they should expect to get glue!!

what about the whole give room to cyclists crap
Robbo

23rd Dec 03 at 08:54   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I got a bollocking once for driving with my fogs on in normal light, thank god I have now seen the error of my ways :S
el gordo

25th Dec 03 at 16:41   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by RobboSRi
<--- It's Christmas

You should see the inside of my shed

last count was around 96 cans of beer, 4 crates of wine, 3 crates of smirnoff ice, 8 bottles of voddie and a dozen or so different spirits.

then there's the wine kept in the house
Joff

14th Feb 04 at 13:56   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Robbo
I got a bollocking once for driving with my fogs on in normal light, thank god I have now seen the error of my ways :S

What did this bollocking consist of?

Them telling you that having fogs on was illegal or that you looked a prize turnip for driving with them on?

<<  1    2    3  >>

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » Sidelights + Foglights 22 database queries in 0.1083241 seconds