corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Help Zone, Modification and ICE Advice » got my subs and............

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author got my subs and............
Andy GSi

User status: Offline
28th Nov 03 at 19:22   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

here r two of my subs, they r dual 2 ohms, (JL-12W3V2D2) but i have just been told i cant run them good with this amp, or its hard to wire?? PLEASE can some1 tell me if i have bought the wrong ones??????

DLS-A6

Monoblock Amplifier
1 x 500W RMS (4 ohm)
1 x 870W RMS (2ohm)
1 x 1200W RMS (1ohm)
Daimo B

28th Nov 03 at 19:44   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

You could run it through a circuit.

Out of the amp, into one sub, out of that sub and into the next one then back into the amp. But that will put serious load on the amp and the subs wont run anywhere near what they can.

U'd be better off just putting 1 sub on that amp.
Andy GSi

28th Nov 03 at 19:47   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

what abt if i bought 2 4 ohm ones??? would that work??
Ian
Site Administrator

28th Nov 03 at 20:08   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

The problem you'll have is the dual voice coil means each sub is effectively already a 1ohm load if both voice coils are wired in parallel. Parallel up another sub and you're looking at 0.5ohm loading, thats an enourmous amount of resistence which is too much for all but the most well built and well cooled amps.

You could possibly wire the voice coils in series so each sub is an effective 4ohm and then parallel the subs up to take you back down to 2 at the amp.

Wiring them is easy enough but you'll never see the most preferable 1ohm loading and thus the most effective use of the amp you have.

Don't take this as gospel btw, I'm no expert.
Trotty

28th Nov 03 at 20:10   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Run them at 2 ohm, 1200w RMS is a bit much for these subs TBH, trust me
FlamingCorsa

28th Nov 03 at 20:13   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

just been talking 2 andy on msm! i agree with ian but think his amp is plenty powerful enough 2 run then 2ohm!

870watt rms is alot!

dual 4s wud have been betta in my opinion tho:-)
Dom

28th Nov 03 at 20:43   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Ian
....Parallel up another sub and you're looking at 0.5ohm loading, thats an enourmous amount of resistence which is too much for all but the most well built and well cooled amps

Huh?
0.5ohms is far less than 1ohm and 1ohm is far less than 4 ohms etc etc Therefore 0.5 ohms isnt an "enormous amount of resistance", hence why amps can produce more power at lower ohm's because there is hardly any resistance! And if you run the amp at 0.5ohms, and thats if you lucky without it going bang, it would be producing around the 1.6Kw - 2Kw RMS! mark (a rough guess) and you subs like about 300w RMS...so i could see them going bang if you not lucky.

Send them back mate and get the 4ohm version or send ya amp back and get something that will suit them
Trotty

28th Nov 03 at 20:46   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by VisibleMan
quote:
Originally posted by Ian
....Parallel up another sub and you're looking at 0.5ohm loading, thats an enourmous amount of resistence which is too much for all but the most well built and well cooled amps

Huh?
0.5ohms is far less than 1ohm and 1ohm is far less than 4 ohms etc etc Therefore 0.5 ohms isnt an "enormous amount of resistance", hence why amps can produce more power at lower ohm's because there is hardly any resistance! And if you run the amp at 0.5ohms, and thats if you lucky without it going bang, it would be producing around the 1.6Kw - 2Kw RMS! mark (a rough guess) and you subs like about 300w RMS...so i could see them going bang if you not lucky.

Send them back mate and get the 4ohm version or send ya amp back and get something that will suit them

quote:
Originally posted by Ian
Don't take this as gospel btw, I'm no expert.

Dom

28th Nov 03 at 20:52   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

yea, but its basic physics and surely anyone that does anything with electronics/circuitry would know it

eitherway, i hope ian edits his little mistake before someone believes that and ends up fooking up there car/amp/speakers etc etc
FlamingCorsa

28th Nov 03 at 22:51   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

yea but if u run the subs in serise instead of parelle(0.5ohm at amp) u get the ohm up 2 4 each sub than down 2 2 at the amp!

so they will b getting 870watts between 2 subs and not caining the amp at all! dual 4s wud b betta but these will work in series and still have plenty of power from the a6!

so not damaging the amp cos it running 2 ohm and its stable at 1:-)

that right ppl??!!
Andy GSi

29th Nov 03 at 09:47   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

cheers ppl!! i will ring the company up tomorrow, and c if they will excange them for the dual 4ohm!! that way i can b safe not blowing anything, and get more power out of my amp!!
corb

29th Nov 03 at 11:44   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

As everyone has said, if you get the dual 4ohm coiled subs, you can then run the subs to show your amp a 1ohm load. BUT if you do that you'll be putting 600RMS into each sub.

That amount of power into those subs for continous daily driving play is seriously NOT RECOMMENDED as "there is a very high probability that the driver will fail due to excessive heat and/or mechanical stress"

And unfortunately this would result in instances such as burnt voice coils, which are NOT COVERED UNDER WARRANTY.

However, if you were to show the amp a 2ohm load, each sub would be receiving 435RMS(god i'm good at maths!!!!!) which is an IDEAL rating for those subs.

Then all you need to do is set the boosts/gains etc. well and you'll have yourself some kick-ass sounds

But if you wish to go against my advice, then so be it, but YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED!!
corsa-sxi

29th Nov 03 at 12:05   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

so two dual 4 wired up in parallel shows 1ohm

two dual 2 ohm wired up in parallel shows 0.5ohm

isnt it better to keep the dual 2 voice coils..wired in series to show a 2ohm?..i dunno anythuing about ice.i thought id see if im right lol

M4tt

29th Nov 03 at 13:20   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

my amps stable at 1/2ohm in stereo and 1 ohm in mono, why is it different for mono and stereo?
AdiSRI

29th Nov 03 at 21:58   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Keep the subs have as corb says 400 is plenty for these subs.
Andy GSi

30th Nov 03 at 10:24   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by corsa-sxi
so two dual 4 wired up in parallel shows 1ohm

two dual 2 ohm wired up in parallel shows 0.5ohm

isnt it better to keep the dual 2 voice coils..wired in series to show a 2ohm?..i dunno anythuing about ice.i thought id see if im right lol

cant u show 2ohm, with two 4ohm subs???

i have ordered the 4ohm ones now, and i have rang my local Music specilists(SMC)! they said that 2ohm and 4ohm subs would workwith that amp, but the 4ohm has more flexability, and would be a better option!
Fear

30th Nov 03 at 13:29   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Ive got 2 JLW3D2's running off a Pheonix Gold 900.1d and they run fine so im sure you will be ok

New Poll