corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » Geek Day » remote desktop connection

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author remote desktop connection
JKGSI

User status: Offline
27th Nov 03 at 14:39   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I'm currently looking into setting up a remote desktop connection to my home PC so that i can connect to it from work.

I know how to enable this and connect to it through the IP address but the problem is my IP is dynamic so everytime the broadband conneciton is restarted, the IP address changes. Is there anyway I can get a static IP address??

Also how can I make this connection more secure as all that is running at present is the standard XP personal firewall. Can anyone recommend any decent firewall software so I can restrict access to certian IP's, ie my work address.

cheers

GIBBS

27th Nov 03 at 14:43   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Terminal Services
JKGSI

27th Nov 03 at 14:50   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

on XP??
Ty_Harris

27th Nov 03 at 14:59   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

getting a static Ip is gunna depend on your BB provider
Mistamist

27th Nov 03 at 15:03   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Call your BB provider, ask them you want to run on a static IP address, not sure if they charge you (doubt it), If you need security then you can use a program like Black Ice Defender.
M2RTY

27th Nov 03 at 15:27   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

as far as Im aware, the PCs which we use have pipeline boxes which connect to our assend box and each PC has a set of network connections including a static fixed IP adress which is also held in the pipeline box and assend box. the IP address is within a set range which is allowed access onto the network. we have one or two dial up users who dial into the network via a modem and use security via an EPASS token ID and username
JKGSI

28th Nov 03 at 10:26   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Got it working, running remote desktop on my home PC and I can connect to it from work through the IP address with the correct username and password. Only problem is the IP address changes everytime I resart my home PC so I have to make a note of it before I leave. Can anyone suggest any decent firewall sortware to make this more secure??
Got a copy of Norton personal firewall 2003 to try.

[Edited on 28-11-2003 by JKGSI]
Ian
Site Administrator

28th Nov 03 at 16:33   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

You'll need a static IP from your BB provider.

If you're routing the connection at home then you'll need a router that supports Network Address Translation (NAT) as the IP of your connection will be that of the router, not any of the machines behind it.

If you have an ADSL modem in the computer then disregard this.

You also need to open up port 3389 for incoming connections in the firewall.
Ian
Site Administrator

28th Nov 03 at 16:35   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

btw, you can keep your dynamic IP if you don't want to fork out for a static one but you'll need to rely no the services of somewhere like http://www.no-ip.com/
Trotty

28th Nov 03 at 18:04   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Or http://www.dyndns.org/

New Poll