corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Help Zone, Modification and ICE Advice » how much to

New Poll
  <<  1    2  >> Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author how much to
Greasemonkey

User status: Offline
   24th Nov 03 at 14:09   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Mechanic just got back to me i got a cracked piston!!!!, how much to have this sorted out do ya reakon
Mistamist

24th Nov 03 at 14:13   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

not a lot, just replace the piston and rings i guess. cant be too much....is it?
Greasemonkey

24th Nov 03 at 14:17   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

but to get a piston out, the engine has to be stripped down and taken out the car, now thats what costs the money, unless what he is gonna try and do is remove the piston through the sump any one know if this is possible????
miles

24th Nov 03 at 15:40   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I think you need to drop the crank to get it out of the bottom.

You can undo the rod from the crank and then push it out of the top with head off.

Why did it crack? Was their valve contact at some point? What pistons were they?
Greasemonkey

24th Nov 03 at 16:21   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

the pistons are AE 0.05mm oversized pistons just ahd the repair bill £519.19p!!!!there goes my christmas, aint spending another penny on that bloody car, thats it now
matt_jonesuk

24th Nov 03 at 17:45   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

bit harsh go else where see if u get a better quote
J100RSA

24th Nov 03 at 18:20   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

valver power is the way forward
James R

24th Nov 03 at 18:39   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

You can't take the piston out the bottom of the engine, it's a head off job, the block can stay in the car. Still once it's done it will be a new engine again!!
Adam-D

24th Nov 03 at 18:41   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

aye u can get a new "second hand" engine for that price
miles

24th Nov 03 at 19:05   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Get the person you bought the engine from to pay, or at least contribute. Was it a private sale or from a company?
Gary GSi

24th Nov 03 at 21:43   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I sold him it but it has become apparent that i was ripped off by the mechanic who rebuilt it for me.
He told me that he has done stuff that greasemonkeys mechanic said hasnt been done and i payed £1400 for the full engine rebuild. It went wrong as i had just ran it in only about 1500 miles after the work was done it started making a loud tapping noise and it cost me £150 to get it recovered home. I then had the money to put a valver in mine which i did and the bloke that did the engine rebuild told me that it was the hydraulic lifters. I took the head off and 5 of the lifters had collapsed causing the valves not to fully open,he said it wasnt bottom end trouble. I sold it as seen to greasemonkey who knew about the tappets but we didnt know the botttom end was fucked.

[Edited on 24-11-2003 by Gary GSi]
PaulW

24th Nov 03 at 21:47   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

how long ago was it since tha mechanic supposedly did the full rebuild? cant you take him to small claims or something for not doing the job which was paid for & ripping u off??
Gary GSi

24th Nov 03 at 21:48   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Can we get compensation so i can pay greasemonkey back for the scrap i sold him? At the end of the day i payed £1400 for a job to be done and only half a job was done but on the bill it gives a list of stuff that greasemonkeys mechanic says hasnt been touched. You have to have trust in a mechanic to do as you say, be honest and bill you accordingly, he clearly has not.
Gary GSi

24th Nov 03 at 21:51   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

The date on the bill is 6/6/03 but the car was off the road for half the time between then and now and only covered about 1500 miles with the rebuilt engine in.
PaulW

24th Nov 03 at 21:51   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

thats what i mean, on the bill does it not indicate the work which was done, so couldnt the other mechanic be liable for not supplying what u paid for?
Gary GSi

24th Nov 03 at 21:59   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Yeah he could. It says 6 angle valve seats which havent been touched. It says oversize main and big end bearings which seem to have never been changed and to be able to fit over size shell bearings the crank would of had to be re-ground to get rid of the wear to make it round, It doesnt say the crank has been reground on the bill but he told me that it had been done and he fitted 0.25mm oversize shell bearings which are on the bill which greasemonkeys mechanic says havent been changed. i also thought the crank was being lightened and balenced which i have been billed for but he says the crank hasnt had anything done to it.
Gary GSi

24th Nov 03 at 22:50   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

So what do ya reckon peeps can we claim compensation off the bloke?
Kerry

24th Nov 03 at 23:06   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

ring citizens advice is the best bet mate
Greasemonkey

24th Nov 03 at 23:14   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Yeah all the bearing shells have been checked, they are all stamped STD meaning standard they should say +0.25, the wear on the bearings also indicates they aint new so they are the originals!!!, to have standard bearings it means the crank hasnt been reground, what had happened was the bearing on No.1 piston has welded itself to the crank causing the piston to keep hitting the top of the cylinder head this also ruined the crank.
My old C16XE was being sold for £150 this weekend but it is just an empty block now cos i have had to salvage the crank which needs to be reground, a con rod, the oil pump, the new engine has to come out the car again and every thing put back together again!!!!!
This has become very very expensive, gonna get the reicept off gary and get in touch with trading standards after a quiet word with the guy who did the re-build.
Hopefully gary will get his money back and kindly give me a little compensation

[Edited on 24-11-2003 by Greasemonkey]
Greasemonkey

24th Nov 03 at 23:33   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Repair bill at the mo is standing at nearly £800!!!!!, starting to get into C20 XE territory now!!!
Greasemonkey

24th Nov 03 at 23:35   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

The head was supposedly stage 2 ported and polished, the inlets have been done, not very polished if ya ask me, the exhaust ports aint been touched and i thought they would match the manifolds too which aint been done either
Kerry

24th Nov 03 at 23:54   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Greasemonkey

25th Nov 03 at 10:00   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

calidus

25th Nov 03 at 18:46   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

hows it going matey? any news?
Gary GSi

26th Nov 03 at 21:26   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Fozzy has got a lot of explaining to do and if he cant produce an invoice from the engineering company that was suppost to do the work on the crank we have a good case to sue the bastard.
I havent had a car on the road for ages and my last car only started going wrong after the first time he had worked on it.

[Edited on 26-11-2003 by Gary GSi]

<<  1    2  >>

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Help Zone, Modification and ICE Advice » how much to 23 database queries in 0.0115402 seconds