corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Help Zone, Modification and ICE Advice » Help With C20Let corsa transplant

New Poll
  <<  1    2    3  >> Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Help With C20Let corsa transplant
antscorsa

User status: Offline
25th Nov 03 at 12:21   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

haha go on fad with the LET, since when have u wanted to do, this sounds good to me
BeArDy

25th Nov 03 at 14:57   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by fadscorsa
quote:
Originally posted by J100RSA
quote:
car needs seam welding too cos a LET will tear a corsa apart in no time.

no seam welding is needed on a corsa

i can assure you it would be very unwise not to seam weld a corsa, sure it would be fine to begin with, but over time it will put severe stress on the car. I been talking to quite a few ppl about this cos i was under the impression tha a corsa is still fine and didnt require seam welding.

This info came from a bloke who builds XE's and LETs for wallace engineering etc I mean if a standard XE can twist bulheads on GTE's i am pretty sure a LET with a) more torque and B) more power will deffo ruin a corsa over time. The only cars the XE and LET was intended for was Cavvy's and Cally's not corsas or even GTE's initlally.

i been doing some research as i am looking to droppin a LET in mine soon

think you need to talk to Vauxgirl her corsa has been a 2lt 16v for about 5 years and there is no sign off stress anywhere (which is running above standard bhp) the cars been thrashed day in day out.
i dont know of ANY corsa which has been seam welded (and if there is only 1 or 2) as they dont need it, and i am sure if they did need seam welding after 5 years without some signs will be there as there is after a short time in Novas

the corsa shells where made to run 180bhp standard before vauxhall restricted them
Daimo B

25th Nov 03 at 15:59   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Fads, gotta disagree with you here fella. Corsas are quite strong and dont need seem welding. I've not known 1 corsas to go wrong that way.

Corsas are a lot stronger than Novas.
jr

25th Nov 03 at 17:30   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

believ me, if shinee says a corsa will need seem welding it Will need seem welding

he said putting a let with no stregthning in wud just be cutting corners, which wud lead to failers
Andy

25th Nov 03 at 17:54   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by mike16v
even courteney and regal dont seam weld the corsas. im with beardy and dan

PMSL - Courtenay and Regal are hardly the best adverts for tuning

Personally I've no idea whether a LET will cause structural damage over time to a Corsa, but don't forget that seam welding done right can improve chassis stiffness and that can only be good for handling

[Edited on 25-11-2003 by Andy]
BeArDy

25th Nov 03 at 18:00   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Andy has your corsa been seam welded m8ty with yours running 215bhp with is more than a LET? (on your old and new shell)
BeArDy

25th Nov 03 at 18:04   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by jr
believ me, if shinee says a corsa will need seem welding it Will need seem welding

he said putting a let with no stregthning in wud just be cutting corners, which wud lead to failers

i think 5 years with a 2lt 16v with no chas problems is not cutting corners its called a job which dosent need doing.

what failers has there been i dont know of any corsas with the chas ripping apart........

i dont even think AP's corsa off here has been seam welded,
mine , J100RSA, CM, Daimo B, Lee Mitchel, Vauxgirl, Jill, Tim theres 8 cars which havent been seam welded and have NO problems can u name one corsa which has

[Edited on 25-11-2003 by BeArDy]

Andy

25th Nov 03 at 18:08   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by BeArDy
Andy has your corsa been seam welded m8ty with yours running 215bhp with is more than a LET? (on your old and new shell)

I had the suspension pick up points welded and strengthened. Seam welding was considered unecessary, partly because of the lower weight/torque of the 1.6 but mainly cos I have a 16-point weld in cage, which runs to the front turrets and behind the bulkhead

When will your beast be ready BeArDy?
BeArDy

25th Nov 03 at 18:12   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

well mines got no engine in atm and new engine sat at a m8s being striped and rebuilt, and laughting gas is on order so all going well be ready for new year, 250bhp with gas, about time i got there

about about this my engine will give or loads or torque when done so we will see if it rips my car about (and i will be trying my hardest)
Andy

25th Nov 03 at 18:13   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

LET and NOS Mmmmm Going to need a spin in that...

[Edited on 25-11-2003 by Andy]
BeArDy

25th Nov 03 at 18:15   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Andy
2.5 V6 and NOS Mmmmm Going to need a spin in that...

jr

25th Nov 03 at 19:17   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
quote:
Originally posted by jr

i think 5 years with a 2lt 16v with no chas problems is not cutting corners its called a job which dosent need doing.

what failers has there been i dont know of any corsas with the chas ripping apart........

i dont even think AP's corsa off here has been seam welded,
mine , J100RSA, CM, Daimo B, Lee Mitchel, Vauxgirl, Jill, Tim theres 8 cars which havent been seam welded and have NO problems can u name one corsa which has

im not talking about xe though, talking about LET, i have been told by the same bloke as fad that a corsa can take a xe AND can survive with a xe

but like the astra GTE (which was never designed to take the xe and never strethaned properly, they can both crack the bulkheads)

but after speaking to him about LET's, he said he would deffiantly use a streghtaning kit on the front,

i'm only relaying what he says, but shinee knows more about xe and lets than any one else and also suppliers regal, cossvaux, wallace,v-tunning etc
Fad

26th Nov 03 at 14:21   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

beardy no offence mate but this bloke knows his stuff and has had years of experience in vaux motorsport and building these engines.

I never said a corsa couldnt cope without being seam welded cos it would be ok but definatley over time it would have adverse effects which i was told by someone whos seen this time and time again.

and before I was reffering to LET's not XE's and as i do have an XE myself so i would know. mines not seam welded but just for the record i do know of a few XE's that ave been seem welded and i can tell you stright up you can feel the difference as it handles so much better. Street (ross) off here did his and it is quite notciable.

But the bottom line is if i did a LET conversion which i do hope to do i would seam weld it up on advice given to me before by well respected people.
jr

26th Nov 03 at 14:37   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:

beardy no offence mate but this bloke knows his stuff and has had years of experience in vaux motorsport and building these engines.

I never said a corsa couldnt cope without being seam welded cos it would be ok but definatley over time it would have adverse effects which i was told by someone whos seen this time and time again.

and before I was reffering to LET's not XE's and as i do have an XE myself so i would know. mines not seam welded but just for the record i do know of a few XE's that ave been seem welded and i can tell you stright up you can feel the difference as it handles so much better. Street (ross) off here did his and it is quite notciable.

But the bottom line is if i did a LET conversion which i do hope to do i would seam weld it up on advice given to me before by well respected people.

same as what i said basically just written better
BeArDy

26th Nov 03 at 15:46   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

ok well a Let runs at 200'ish bhp
and mine will be running 250+bhp soon and i am planing on keeping my car for a few years so we will see, as they say proof is in the pubbing.
there are loads of corsa with Over 200bhp that are not seam welded and still fine

heres a fine example

2lt 16v on throttle bodys running about 230bhp and i have know this car for 3 maybe 4 years and not one sign of chas stress

the daddy its self, luckyB's 0-60 in 4.98 and 150mph and that chas hasent been welded

if u want me to start naming turbo which have been about for abit and still fine i can (corsaplus, Terry Hust's was in max years ago and still going)....

there is loads of corsas with 200+bhp with no seam welding at all

as for know his shit then ye maybe, but i have been told of the bloke who owns Fearless Motorsport who had one of the very first Nova 2lt 16v and has build loads of top Vauxhalls (Bretts R V6 Nova and Brett Warb 25k WRC Nova) the corsa do not need seam welding

bottom line is " proof is in the pudding" and i am game for a little wager on it??

[Edited on 26-11-2003 by BeArDy]
BeArDy

26th Nov 03 at 15:49   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

also forgot the Black V6 corsa which was in Max in 1994 and was in Total vaux not long ago and thats not been welded, and hes running alot of power. theres neamrly 7 years and 190lbf.ft of torque

[Edited on 26-11-2003 by BeArDy]
Mo

26th Nov 03 at 16:04   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Go BeArDy!
Go BeArDy!
Go BeArDy!

jr

26th Nov 03 at 16:32   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

all im doing (as well as Fad) is repeating what the shinee has said when asked what HE would do when putiing a LET in a corsa

but as i trust his judgement i am backing him up, and as said before he knows what he's on about, i mean his astra (which is my avanta) will run 430bhp+ and he said with a stanadrd LET he would stregthan the chassis let alone a 430bhp monster

[Edited on 26-11-2003 by jr]
userstephl

26th Nov 03 at 17:25   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

2.0 16v ecotec is the easiest 2 fit
BeArDy

26th Nov 03 at 17:31   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by jr
all im doing (as well as Fad) is repeating what the shinee has said when asked what HE would do when putiing a LET in a corsa

but as i trust his judgement i am backing him up, and as said before he knows what he's on about, i mean his astra (which is my avanta) will run 430bhp+ and he said with a stanadrd LET he would stregthan the chassis let alone a 430bhp monster

come on a corsa at 430bhp who wouldent
but a corsa LET running about 300bhp would be fine, and i only know one corsa with over 300bhp

quote:
car needs seam welding too cos a LET will tear a corsa apart in no time.

he was meaning for standard 200'ish BHP

Daimo B

26th Nov 03 at 17:33   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by userstephl
2.0 16v ecotec is the easiest 2 fit

Your still going on. Your off your rocker you strange person
jr

26th Nov 03 at 17:37   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
quote:
Originally posted by jr

come on a corsa at 430bhp who wouldent
but a corsa LET running about 300bhp would be fine, and i only know one corsa with over 300bhp

no i ment in a GTE, martin suggested that he wud use chassis streghtning on a let in a GTE, standard or modded

wainey

26th Nov 03 at 18:30   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

the x20xev lump i had for my corsa when it was in my mates old nova beat 3 different novas with the c20xe lumps in, dont knock all ecotecs as they aint as slow as u think! as for being easier to fit i agree with daimo, the kids off his rocker, cant see there bein any difference apart from wiring etc!
J100RSA

26th Nov 03 at 18:43   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

mine is running 180bhp+ and is fine and i rag it to death and i aint got no sighs of stress and coss vaux say u dont need to strgthen corsa as is stong enough on engine bay. if u stregthern too much ul be cracking screens
craigpcg

26th Nov 03 at 19:54   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

welllllll i got mines seem weld and i tell ya it saved my legs big time cos when i crashed cos its such a tight space. if i didny seem weld t then it would av broke me legs BIG TIME

<<  1    2    3  >>

New Poll