corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » Insurance on smaller engine conversions?

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Insurance on smaller engine conversions?
Paul_J

User status: Offline
19th Nov 03 at 02:04   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

What is the actual deal with insurance on engine conversions?

Some people say, the car becomes an insurance group between the new engine and the old one...

so say old engine is group 3 and new one is group 9 - it becomes 6?

I doubt this is true, but its one of the things I heard.

The other thing I heard was that it becomes the group of the new engine your putting in?

so a group 6 engine in a group 3 car becomes group 6?

is this actually true? surely insurance companies will up the premium just for the fact its had an engine conversion?! or do you not tell them that, and just say its a 1.6 16v or whatever.

Finally, whats the issue with 'engine mods?'

For example, if I was to do major engine mods on my car, do they add 10% for everything, or 10% for each mod?

What overall would be more expensive to insure?

a 1.2 16v Sxi - converted to a 1.4 16v with a velo's torque tube, superchip, cams, air filter and exhaust system.

or a 1.2 16v Sxi converted to a 1.6 16v with an filter and exhaust system.

the 1.6 is a higher group - but the 1.4 should be pushing the same or more power?

Thanks,

Paul J
Stone Cold Rattlesnake

19th Nov 03 at 02:07   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

essay
Paul_J

19th Nov 03 at 02:09   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

nope, I've just put a gap inbetween each line - bit of a bad habbit, but if you removed them, it'd only be about 9 lines.
Jason

19th Nov 03 at 02:10   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

try 16
Sooty
Banned

19th Nov 03 at 02:10   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

1.2 16v to 1.4 16v is a waste of money
Paul_J

19th Nov 03 at 02:14   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Jason
try 16

not really, since if I didn't have the gaps - then the lines would be stretching all the way across, and as you can see half of them don't even pass the half way bit smartass

Sooty, I know - I'm just curious. It's just I can't afford to get a 2.0 16v conversion, and if I could get a cheap 1.4 16v with all the mods + exhaust included and then get them fitted for not too much, it may not be too bad as a stop gap.

Basically my 1.2 16v is a bit slow now, I can't afford to get something like a 106 Gti - and can't afford a 2.0 16v conversion.

Paul J
Tim
Site Administrator

19th Nov 03 at 08:18   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

What is your actual budget? I was considering a 1.6 stop-gap but I would have had to spend so much money modding it to get it anywhere near the same power/torque as a standard red-top...
vibrio
Banned

19th Nov 03 at 08:57   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Paul_J
What is the actual deal with insurance on engine conversions?

Some people say, the car becomes an insurance group between the new engine and the old one...

so say old engine is group 3 and new one is group 9 - it becomes 6?

I doubt this is true, but its one of the things I heard.

The other thing I heard was that it becomes the group of the new engine your putting in?

so a group 6 engine in a group 3 car becomes group 6?

is this actually true? surely insurance companies will up the premium just for the fact its had an engine conversion?! or do you not tell them that, and just say its a 1.6 16v or whatever.

Finally, whats the issue with 'engine mods?'

For example, if I was to do major engine mods on my car, do they add 10% for everything, or 10% for each mod?

What overall would be more expensive to insure?

a 1.2 16v Sxi - converted to a 1.4 16v with a velo's torque tube, superchip, cams, air filter and exhaust system.

or a 1.2 16v Sxi converted to a 1.6 16v with an filter and exhaust system.

the 1.6 is a higher group - but the 1.4 should be pushing the same or more power?

Thanks,

Paul J

car does not change insurance groups because it is still the sae car but modified
Tom

19th Nov 03 at 09:29   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Why don't you just sell yours and buy a 1.6 sport yeah if you were putting a red top in it would be different and you car don't look highly modded?

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » Insurance on smaller engine conversions? 22 database queries in 0.0109091 seconds