corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » exhausts

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author exhausts
fiestakidda

User status: Offline
8th Nov 03 at 12:34   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Right i'm having my centre section of my exhaust system taken away today and replaced by a pipe, now can i remove my back box as well??

Is there a law that says that you have to have a back box on your car?? or can you remove it completely and have pipe from front to back??
Marc

8th Nov 03 at 12:36   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

hmmmmmm
MatthewR

8th Nov 03 at 12:39   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Quite a long pipe!!

Wont it be stupidly ;loud though??
fiestakidda

8th Nov 03 at 12:43   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

i was only wondering if there was a law on this or not?? was gonna get it taken off she how loud it was and then work from there. I have quad tail pipes which one side has the back box producing the noise and the other side with no back box producing no sound but pumping out all the exhaust fumes
Marc

8th Nov 03 at 12:44   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

emmisions and sound regulations?
MatthewR

8th Nov 03 at 12:48   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

If u do it, better hope u dont get pulled init
broster
Premium Member

8th Nov 03 at 12:58   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by fiestakidda
I have quad tail pipes which one side has the back box producing the noise and the other side with no back box producing no sound but pumping out all the exhaust fumes

the side with the back box will be producing less noise than the side without the back box! this statement makes no sence to me, u sayin that one side with back box is noisey and has no fumes and the other has no back box is silent!!!!!!?
fiestakidda

8th Nov 03 at 13:09   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Yep the side with the back box produces the noise and no fumes and i promise u that this is correct. The back box takes in all the fumes moves them about a bit kicks them back into the pipe round and out the other side.

I took it to the garage the other day and that's what they explained to me. i thought it was pretty strange but hey that's what it is doing.

So instead of fitting another back box on the other side i was wondering if it was legal to take the back box already on off all together
MatthewR

8th Nov 03 at 13:12   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

dont u need the backbox for the tailpipe though? Im lost??
broster
Premium Member

8th Nov 03 at 13:15   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

how can it produce noise if nuffin is goin thru it, this garage no much bout exhausts? is one side black inside and the other clean?
fiestakidda

8th Nov 03 at 13:41   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

nope both sides are black mate. All four are black

Yeah the garage know loads about exhuasts they build custom ones and deal with rage exhausts.

I'm just going off how they told me and how it looks and sounds when the car is running
broster
Premium Member

8th Nov 03 at 14:01   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

if both sides are black them fumes come out both, they speak rubbish by the sounds of it!
Andy

8th Nov 03 at 14:10   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
I have quad tail pipes which one side has the back box producing the noise and the other side with no back box producing no sound but pumping out all the exhaust fumes

Question - how do the fumes know which exhaust pipe to go down? Or are they just very clever fumes that come out of your engine
Kerry

8th Nov 03 at 14:15   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:

i have 6 pistons which one side had the induction producing the noise and the other side with no inlet producing no power but pumping out all the gases

broster
Premium Member

8th Nov 03 at 14:16   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

the garage is talkin rubbish mate, u sure its a car garage?
chris_uk
Premium Member

8th Nov 03 at 14:16   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

kerry.. i have no idea what that means
chris_uk
Premium Member

8th Nov 03 at 14:18   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Hot Wheels... leading the way!
l33t corsa

8th Nov 03 at 17:06   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

It's possible. Sound can be reflected... the gas can be routed... the gas doesn't make the noise, the burning of fuel in the engine does.

It's obviously a system with a silly piping arrangment, but it's possible. For example, if you had a 120 degree bend, or even more, then the gas is going carry on around the bend, but the sound is more likely going to be reflected back... now if the angles were right, the majority of sound could be reflected down one pipe, and the majority of gas continues on down another.

Normal silencer/back boxes put the gas through a series of 180degree bends to cancel out/absorb the sound:

[Edited on 08-11-2003 by l33t corsa]

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » exhausts 22 database queries in 0.0136669 seconds