corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Help Zone, Modification and ICE Advice » Fan belt screeching- how do you fix it?

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Fan belt screeching- how do you fix it?
sri_tastic

User status: Offline
6th Nov 03 at 12:21   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I presume it is just sliping but makes a right racket in stationery traffic. Very embarrasing how do you tighten it up? i dont have a clue......
Kris TD

6th Nov 03 at 12:34   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

tighten it, if it cant be tightened anymore then by a new one.
Born_corsa02

6th Nov 03 at 13:24   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

For fooks sake it just needs tightenin will take bout 30mins for the sake of a fiver might aswel just buy a new one
sledge

6th Nov 03 at 14:05   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Could be the pulleys that are worn. If they look highly polished and are grooved on the belt contact areas no amount of tightening will cure it and replacement is the only option. Its most noticable when the engine is ticking over and the alternator is loaded up i.e. lights, stereo HRW are all on. Overtightening Vee-belts can cause bearing failure in the alternator. I was using Sprazon belt dressing which makes worn vee-belts and pulleys"grippier" (but it is only available in industry) on the wifes old Corsa until even that stopped working then I bit the bullet and got the pulleys from the breakers........fiver OK mate?
sri_tastic

6th Nov 03 at 17:04   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

cheers boyz well apreciated. it is the most annoying embarassing noise in the world when your in staionery traffic. thanks again
Makarus

7th Nov 03 at 00:32   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Buy a new one because if its been slipping its probably just run the teeth down, about £4. Then just undo the alternater holding bolt and the alternator will move forward, then slide the belt off, to put the new one on hook the top of the belt round the alternator and then bottom bit half way round the other wheel (forgotten the name of it) and then put it in first, rock the car back and forth and it will pull the belt on itself.
Then just tighten the alternator, you dont want it too tight, just want it so there isn't any give in the belt when you pull it, get it right on that limit and dont over tighten or you get a whinning from the alternator.

5 min job for me.

Hope that helps.
and-m

7th Nov 03 at 01:11   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Dont buy a Halfords one, theyre poo, get a Vauxhall one, only a quid or 2 dearer.

New Poll