corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » Geek Day » Lockitron

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Lockitron
A2H GO

User status: Offline
8th Oct 12 at 11:56   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Looks cool...sure they had something like this on the gadget show a while back;

https://lockitron.com/preorder
James

8th Oct 12 at 11:59   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Looks good but I'd be interested to see what the implications on stuff like home insurance is going to be.

Robin
Premium Member

8th Oct 12 at 12:29   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

That's great, your mates will unlock your house when you're down the pub.
Brett
Premium Member

8th Oct 12 at 12:35   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Although I can aprpeciate the idea, I don't think it's a good thing at all.
ed

8th Oct 12 at 12:44   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I was wondering whether you could get central locking for your house when I was walking out to my car at the weekend. Would be good to be able to lock all your doors with a press of a button or the turn of a key sometimes.
John

8th Oct 12 at 13:06   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

There are products that do it remotely already, and probably by phone if I could be bothered looking.
Gary
Premium Member

8th Oct 12 at 13:22   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by ed
I was wondering whether you could get central locking for your house when I was walking out to my car at the weekend. Would be good to be able to lock all your doors with a press of a button or the turn of a key sometimes.

The technology is there. Just would need engineering into a door. Although i can see it being a pain with PVC doors as you have to lift the handle then twist the key to lock.

As for Lockitron, its pointless imo. Especially as the majority of homes use a multipoint locking PVC/Ally door with no seperate deadlock.
Dom

8th Oct 12 at 13:42   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Be interesting to see what insurers think of that Lockitron as personally i don't think it's secure at all; but i guess it depends if they use an encrypted protocol on top of the WiFi.

But as mentioned there are already wireless systems out there, can even grab remote deadlocks (although i've yet to see multipoint systems). But you'd still need a mechanical system incase of power failure and i imagine insurers might be a little bit iffy about it all.
Whittie

8th Oct 12 at 13:46   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Only handy for an automatic garage door tbh.
A2H GO

8th Oct 12 at 14:22   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Yep, looks a bit of a gimmick. Doesn't particularly look secure from both a hardware and software point of view either.

Suprised its managed to get so much funding, obviously not that many people with PVC doors.
Brett
Premium Member

8th Oct 12 at 14:28   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Lets face it, as soon as people see there's a phone app they cream their trousers and throw money at it.
Toby
Premium Member

8th Oct 12 at 19:45   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by A2H GO
Yep, looks a bit of a gimmick. Doesn't particularly look secure from both a hardware and software point of view either.

Suprised its managed to get so much funding, obviously not that many people with PVC doors.

In America its all wooden barely anywhere with uPVC hence the big backing its probably gained.
Steve
Premium Member

8th Oct 12 at 20:13   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

cosmos dad invented it first
Nismo

8th Oct 12 at 20:47   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Been fitting stuff like this for years, nothing remotely new about it.

As mentioned wont work with PVC doors with multipoint deadlocks.
noshua

8th Oct 12 at 21:05   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by John
There are products that do it remotely already, and probably by phone if I could be bothered looking.

But this one is designed like an Apple product and works on iOS

It is a great idea - just like the remote lighting and heating systems, should be more mainstream, and probably will in a few years!
AndyKent

9th Oct 12 at 07:53   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I can see it being handy in certain circumstances, for example I have a storeroom that doesn't need to be 100% secure (and doesn't have a deadlock) but that I use all the time and finding the key is a PITA.

£100 though, jeez.
Russ

9th Oct 12 at 09:43   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

prefer £60 lightbulb tbh

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » Geek Day » Lockitron 25 database queries in 0.0121758 seconds