corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Help Zone, Modification and ICE Advice » Corsa SRi Engine Replacement/Astra 1.6 8v donor

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Corsa SRi Engine Replacement/Astra 1.6 8v donor
Teknologikal

User status: Offline
15th Jul 06 at 20:36   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Surely one of you blokes out there will know what I need to change (if anything) to get an Astra 1.6 8v engine running in my 1.4 SRi?

I know most of you will mock the idea and suggest a Redtop but that's not feasible atm; on a very tight budget plus I want to declare the engine change so it's all above board and I can keep my insurance premium low for at least the next year or so. Plus I'd have to buy the driveshafts, ECU, Loom etc etc....

The reason for changing? My current engine has done 105k and I simply don't trust it....at some point my SRi was stolen and I don't think I need to say any more than that

Any tips would be welcomed. Cheers

EDIT: It's a '93 8v SRi btw, was thinking about using the same gearbox and MAYBE a sports flywheel...failing that, the one off the 1.4 instead.

[Edited on 15-07-2006 by Teknologikal]
Dave A
USER UNDER INVESTIGATION - DO NOT TRADE

15th Jul 06 at 20:51   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

if its not broken, why replace it?

the donor engine might even be worse
Teknologikal

15th Jul 06 at 20:59   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

The head gasket could do with replacing and I want to clean out the engine bay anyway. Picking up the engine cheap and it's got 200cc extra plus a new head gasket. All I will need to change is the cambelt, just to be sure. The donor engine has FSH up to 45k and has done 65k. Looking at £50 just to get the head skimmed plus the gasket set on top, then a cambelt so prolly better to replace the engine.

Will I need to change the ECU or anything else to get her running or will she run on the 1.4 brain?

[Edited on 16-07-2006 by Teknologikal]
Teknologikal

18th Jul 06 at 07:54   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

So, does anyone know if my current ECU is up to the job? From what I can make out it should be okay, just need confirmation.
Dave A
USER UNDER INVESTIGATION - DO NOT TRADE

18th Jul 06 at 08:55   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

everything will need changing. loom, ecu, sensors etc...
Teknologikal

18th Jul 06 at 09:05   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

D'oh....back to the drawing board then....I see what your earlier post was getting at now. Might be best off stripping the current engine down and rebuilding?

Cheers Dave.

[Edited on 18-07-2006 by Teknologikal]

New Poll