corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Help Zone, Modification and ICE Advice » Going to see a Car today, what should we look for???

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Going to see a Car today, what should we look for???
kitty_kitty

User status: Offline
1st Feb 04 at 10:55   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Hi there. Me and my boyfriend are going to look at a Corsa today, for my first car

It's a bit willy nilly as we found it this morning but all my boyfriends books for us to use as a check list on buying Corsas are at his house in Stoke and we're in Shrewsbury at the mo.

It's a 1.5 Diesel (before you complain I dont want a performance car neither can I afford it yet ), L reg, 113000 miles, 5 door Hatchback, 4 months MOT, nice and clean. £925 ono.

Obviously I'll aim for the 800 quid mark if it's any good.

Now seeing as we aren't mechanics and are going for an initial look, what things could we look for? My boyfriend remembers things like cracks in the B-Pillars, rust along sills, under the arches, under the bonnet, doors etc, suspension checks and simple stuff like that.

Is there anything major we could check ourselves? Or anything else you recommend we should look out for which aint mentioned above?

Cheers

Cat & Dave

PS: this is the car:

[Edited on 01-02-2004 by kitty_kitty]
corsa_godfather

1st Feb 04 at 11:03   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

you can get a better corsa for 800 than that.mileage etc.
J da Silva

1st Feb 04 at 11:04   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

better off going for a nice little 1.2 16v or a 3dorr TD with lower mileage, from your comments i'd never wish that car on a nun
mike_1.2LS96

1st Feb 04 at 11:06   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

You can get nice 3door petrol, 1.2 8v 80000miles for £800 easy. Better yet a 1litre 12v
kitty_kitty

1st Feb 04 at 11:07   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Price is a big issue because I'm 17. I cant afford to pay whats needed for a newer 1.2 16v, nor the insurance on a 1.5TD.

I dont really want to travel far so I'm a bit limited.

Anyway if anyone can tell us what to look at in general, that'd be useful, as I already know what I can afford
dirtymagician

1st Feb 04 at 11:59   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

check the paintwork and the wheel arches some of the earlier corsas(like the one your going to see) are starting to show signs of rust, some on the rear wheel arches especially.Check all the electics work as well as some of the earlier ones had electical problems too

Too be honest it seems like a bit of a wasted trip if u cant even afford to insure it. Id just hang onto your money save a bit more and then you can get something a bit better (or some more money towards your insurance at least)

[Edited on 01-02-2004 by dirtymagician]
kitty_kitty

1st Feb 04 at 12:40   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

i can afford the insurance on a 1.5 diesel, but not a turbo diesel.

thanks alot for ur advice. atm its really hard to find any corsa under 1.5k in my area so this is why im so interested in this one.

I am actually looking for a 5 door caus im a lazy g*t n cant be bothered to have to get out to let passengers out on a 3 door lol

Ill let u know what its like when i get bk (going about 2ish), and we'll take some more pics

[Edited on 01-02-2004 by kitty_kitty]
dirtymagician

1st Feb 04 at 12:59   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

ah right sorry, didnt notice that

If youve looked over it and you like it then fare enuff, might wanna have a look on www.parkers.co.uk just incase theres something ive missed, good luck
kitty_kitty

1st Feb 04 at 13:57   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

yer, we've been on there too thanks alot
kitty_kitty

1st Feb 04 at 16:18   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

It's her fella speaking now. We've just been to take a quick look at it, but the garage owner wasn't there to give us a test run and to check the mechanicals etc, but that can wait for another day.

All in all, not a bad motor. Few scratches as you'd expect to see on an L reg now, but no rust. Bad case of back to black is required on the arches and the drivers door has been a target for a TWOCer to break into, top frame is a tiny bit outta shape but nothing which affects security or sealing from water.

So, bodywise, not bad. I'll post some pics of it later when I get home. The missus is gonna take her dad/bro up to check the engine over, take a test drive etc later in the week.

It aint worth 925 but I should think 800 or very close is within easy reach Not bad from a garage.
Stokie Dave

1st Feb 04 at 22:17   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Pics of it are here:

http://www.illusional.co.uk/stuff/cars/corsa

Overall not bad bar back to black requirement
Gavin
Premium Member

1st Feb 04 at 22:23   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

yeah try and get a very low milage for ya money!!!

pew pew pew pewwwww
Stokie Dave

1st Feb 04 at 22:29   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

As said above though, she's limited with distance, money, insurance/age so... although it's possible to do better, you gotta be able to have the other variables on ya side

She likes it though... just need to do some mechanical tests, and if all goes well it should make a nice little first car for a year, then she can have a Corsa Sport
Trucido

1st Feb 04 at 22:41   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

oh christ come on girls get insurance so much cheaper than us blokes

New Poll